Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

What's so wrong with keeping honest membership records

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post What's so wrong with keeping honest membership records JLarry
I get why some churches/pastors try their best to increase their membership.

Why not have an active and an inactive membership roll. Go ahead tell folks how many members you have then tell them how many active members you have.

Come on guys, just be honest.

I see no difference in keeping a dead person on the membership roll than telling any other lie. As I understand it all liars will have their part in hell.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
12/19/18 10:01 am

Post It would mean... roughridercog
some of our churches and states may not be as big as they say they are. That would mean salary and status reductions.
12/19/18 11:52 am

Post Re: It would mean... Da Sheik
roughridercog wrote:
some of our churches and states may not be as big as they say they are. That would mean salary and status reductions.

What he said. Most COG churches don’t have cemeteries, but I know for fact that many churches don’t purge rolls because it would cause great division regarding burial plots that were reserved.
Acts Enthusiast
12/19/18 12:01 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I am in favor of a change in our Minutes to provide for inactive and active membership lists, and to be more specific on how long a person has to miss before their membership is removed or made inactive. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/19/18 2:02 pm

Post THE LOVE OF GOD
When we pastored, my husband told the clerk to drop 2 names a month and when someone transferred or joined, drop equal amount. There was 155 on the rolls and attendance was 50 - sometimes more and sometimes less. She did and got the membership down quite a bit. We always reported the right attendance and NEVER fudged on the tithe amount. If it came in as tithe, that was what was counted. I have a problem with churches not listing tithe as tithe. I saw a church in a southern state who had over 700 in attendance and their tithe was around $850. That is not right. If the pastor was paid by the amount of the tithe, he would change it in a heartbeat. I think they are being dishonest and will have to stand before God with a false weight. I am through venting... Friendly Face
12/19/18 6:23 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Is the pastor's salary still dependent on attendance, or is that/was that just a guideline in the minutes, with the local church able to set salary as it desired? [Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/19/18 6:38 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Is the pastor's salary still dependent on attendance, or is that/was that just a guideline in the minutes, with the local church able to set salary as it desired?

The pastoral salary scale is at best a guideline or goal to aim for. If the local church doesn’t have the funds necessary to meet the standard, the pastor is supposed to receive 90% of the tithe that comes in. Even with that, my understanding is that, by far, the majority of our CoG pastors are bivocational by necessity.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/19/18 7:24 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
The pastoral salary scale is at best a guideline or goal to aim for. If the local church doesn’t have the funds necessary to meet the standard, the pastor is supposed to receive 90% of the tithe that comes in. Even with that, my understanding is that, by far, the majority of our CoG pastors are bivocational by necessity.

Gotcha. What is the incentive for pastors to inflate the membership roll, do you think?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/19/18 7:49 pm

Post JLarry
The pastors salary has not been based on attendance I know since 1975.

That's when I started pastoring.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
12/19/18 8:08 pm

Post Da Sheik
The pastor’s salary is based on what the church can pay him and still pay the bills Laughing Acts Enthusiast
12/19/18 8:23 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

Gotcha. What is the incentive for pastors to inflate the membership roll, do you think?

I don’t think it is a desire to inflate the roll (I know it isn’t for me) just a desire to not exclude people too quickly on the one hand, and probably to just not have to deal with the unpleasant task of removing members on the other. State overseers generally don’t appreciate it if a pastor removes a significant number of members all at once.

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 12/19/18 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/19/18 9:04 pm

Post diakoneo
The last church I pastored we systematically removed inactive(after sending out letters to last known address) 24 over a period of a year.

Wait a minute... maybe that is why I couldn't get another church Embarassed Laughing

We also removed the dead members from the roll... they were inactive too after all Very Happy
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
12/19/18 10:19 pm

Post Cojak
I mentioned in another post that we transferred from one church because we moved. Years later when we moved back the clerk said we were still members.

Our pastor decided to clean the books a month or so before retirement.

I liked the idea, however the timing looked a little strange. Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/19/18 10:32 pm

Post Re: It would mean... Cojak
Da Sheik wrote:
roughridercog wrote:

What he said. Most COG churches don’t have cemeteries, but I know for fact that many churches don’t purge rolls because it would cause great division regarding burial plots that were reserved.
Smile Smile Smile Wink
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/19/18 10:33 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic