Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

What if your church never preached or taught on repentance?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post What if your church never preached or taught on repentance? FLRon
What if you never heard a message on repentance, or never heard the subject taught in your church? Would you assume there simply wasn’t a need for such teaching, or some other reason?

Have you ever attended or been part of a church where you never heard a message on repentance?

Has repentance gone the way of the Dodo bird?
11/19/18 5:22 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Sadly, I fear that the scriptural message of repentance is quite unpopular in most churches today. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/19/18 5:56 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
I would find another church ASAP. A church should preach gospel- and grace-driven repentance in virtually every message. Note -- NOT legalism, and not behavior change or exhortations to "do better" masquerading as repentance.

But if the gospel is declared, and if God's word is declared, grace-empowered repentance will be the inevitable result. If repentance never occurs, then it's certain that the gospel is not being preached. Time to find a church where the gospel is preached.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/19/18 5:59 pm

Post You must have been watching Joseph Prince Dunamis007
Talk to Michael Brown or download his book called Hyper Grace. Grace is real and so is repentance. Where and how they intersect and how often they intersect is the question. Prince et al teach that your past, present and future sins have bern forgiven. This is true but they teach once saved you don't need to repent of your future sins. Kind of OSAS lite I guess. Nonsense. If i have displeased someone and am made aware of it I would ask for their forgiveness for having displeased them and i would strive to avoid repeating the offense in the future. Member
11/19/18 6:03 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Speaking only for my case, I can say that repentance is regularly emphasized in my messages and teachings, whether stated or implied. One of the statements I most cherish in the CoG Declaration of Faith is this one:

That all have sinned and come short of the glory of God and that repentance is commanded of God for all and necessary for forgiveness of sins.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/19/18 6:27 pm

Post FLRon
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Sadly, I fear that the scriptural message of repentance is quite unpopular in most churches today.

Absolutely agree with you.
11/19/18 8:20 pm

Post FLRon
Dave Dorsey wrote:
I would find another church ASAP. A church should preach gospel- and grace-driven repentance in virtually every message. Note -- NOT legalism, and not behavior change or exhortations to "do better" masquerading as repentance.

But if the gospel is declared, and if God's word is declared, grace-empowered repentance will be the inevitable result. If repentance never occurs, then it's certain that the gospel is not being preached. Time to find a church where the gospel is preached.

That is what I believe as well. Unfortunately however, I find myself at odds with the “powers that be” who think preaching a repentance gospel message equates to heavy handedness from the pulpit.
11/19/18 8:26 pm

Post Da Sheik
This is the "gospel" for itching ears. Prosperity and blessing without repentance. An unfortunate reality here in the last days. Acts Enthusiast
11/19/18 8:58 pm

Post THE LOVE OF GOD
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Sadly, I fear that the scriptural message of repentance is quite unpopular in most churches today.

The preacher who doesn't preach repentance will have to stand before God and be held accountable. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes. It is a serious matter. A Pastor is to lead the people, he can lead them to Heaven and he can also lead them to hell.
Friendly Face
11/19/18 9:35 pm

Post sheepdogandy
How does one separate repentance from faith in Christ?

The first response to genuine faith in Christ is repentance.

These are inseparable, one does not exist without the other.

Why would we expect anyone to repent unless conviction and confession precede?

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
11/20/18 12:48 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
sheepdogandy wrote:

This is spot on. Does a preacher need to be heavy-handed and say, "Now look here, here's what God's word requires of us. You know you haven't been doing that, so you better repent and clean yourself up!" Absolutely not.

But if a preacher declares God's word and just simply shares what it commands, and then declares Christ as the free giver of grace and forgiveness for all who have fallen, do fall, and will fall short of those commands -- the hearts of God's people will bend and incline toward repentance. It will be an automatic and natural response.

If people aren't repenting, the gospel is not being preached. This includes churches that preach heavy-handed legalism that results in short-term behavioral change but no genuine repentance. The gospel is as absent from a church like that as it is absent from a church that preaches "hyper grace".
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/20/18 12:58 pm

Post FLRon
Dave Dorsey wrote:
sheepdogandy wrote:

This is spot on. Does a preacher need to be heavy-handed and say, "Now look here, here's what God's word requires of us. You know you haven't been doing that, so you better repent and clean yourself up!" Absolutely not.

But if a preacher declares God's word and just simply shares what it commands, and then declares Christ as the free giver of grace and forgiveness for all who have fallen, do fall, and will fall short of those commands -- the hearts of God's people will bend and incline toward repentance. It will be an automatic and natural response.

If people aren't repenting, the gospel is not being preached. This includes churches that preach heavy-handed legalism that results in short-term behavioral change but no genuine repentance. The gospel is as absent from a church like that as it is absent from a church that preaches "hyper grace".

This is what truly concerns me Dave. Of course I cannot see ones heart, but if you have not seen a single person in years come to the altar or stand in a prayer line asking to be saved,one is left to wonder if Ichabod hasn’t been written over the door. These are deceiving times we are living in.
11/20/18 4:06 pm

Post Preacher777
I believe it is very sad and dangerous when somebody presents salvation as simply quoting a believe in my heart sinners prayer" as a ticket to heaven with no mention of repentance from sin. Perhaps one should ask a victim whose spouse committed adultery if a 60 second discourse on being sorry with no change in resulting behavior is sufficient! Friendly Face
11/21/18 10:57 am

Post sheepdogandy
There is change!

Faith in Christ produces change.

The issue is that folks just do not believe the Gospel.

The Church has changed focus.

The message is now a self help seminar.

How to live a "best life".

Luke 19:1 Then Jesus entered and passed through Jericho.
2 Now behold, there was a man named Zacchaeus who was a chief tax collector, and he was rich.
3 And he sought to see who Jesus was, but could not because of the crowd, for he was of short stature.
4 So he ran ahead and climbed up into a sycamore tree to see Him, for He was going to pass that way.
5 And when Jesus came to the place, He looked up and saw him, and said to him, "Zacchaeus, make haste and come down, for today I must stay at your house."
6 So he made haste and came down, and received Him joyfully.
7 But when they saw it, they all complained, saying, "He has gone to be a guest with a man who is a sinner."
8 Then Zacchaeus stood and said to the Lord, "Look, Lord, I give half of my goods to the poor; and if I have taken anything from anyone by false accusation, I restore fourfold."
9 And Jesus said to him, "Today salvation has come to this house, because he also is a son of Abraham;
10 "for the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost."

Faith in Christ produced a changed life! Very Happy

www.spwc.church
11/21/18 1:32 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
If the word of God is faithfully expounded upon, wholehearted repentance and faith in the Lord Jesus will be the only reasonable option for him who has ears to hear. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/21/18 2:43 pm

Post Sinners in the hand of an angry God roughridercog
I wonder how people would react to this classic sermon this Sunday.
11/21/18 3:08 pm

Post sheepdogandy
Do we frighten folks into the Kingdom of God? Twisted Evil

www.spwc.church
11/21/18 6:09 pm

Post FLRon
sheepdogandy wrote:
Do we frighten folks into the Kingdom of God? Twisted Evil

There was a time when fear was a motivator to get people in the altar, and many preachers used it, or tried to, to their advantage. How many people who were scared into salvation actually were saved and stayed that way is any body’s guess. I suppose the numbers are similar to those who today repeat a preacher’s prayer and are told they are saved.
11/21/18 8:54 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic