Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Apparently,I am a leagalist

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Apparently,I am a leagalist FLRon
Because I cannot pretend that it's ok to entertain our kids after their Christmas program by inviting Santa to their party.
I've never approved of it and never will. Getting close to church shopping time.
AGAIN!
12/23/18 1:12 pm

Post Re: Apparently,I am a leagalist Resident Skeptic
FLRon wrote:
Because I cannot pretend that it's ok to entertain our kids after their Christmas program by inviting Santa to their party.
I've never approved of it and never will. Getting close to church shopping time.
AGAIN!

Is this just the final straw? Has there been a pattern of other "straws" leading up to this Santa thing?
12/23/18 2:18 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Would you be offended if they invited a clown to their party? What if they invited someone dressed up as a cartoon character or a Bible character? Veggie Tales, maybe?

At least the original, upon which Santa Claus is based, St. Nicholas, was a real historical figure.

Not saying you’re a legalist; just saying you might want to allow the kids to have some harmless fun.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/23/18 2:50 pm

Post Dean Steenburgh
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Would you be offended if they invited a clown to their party? What if they invited someone dressed up as a cartoon character or a Bible character? Veggie Tales, maybe?

At least the original, upon which Santa Claus is based, St. Nicholas, was a real historical figure.

Not saying you’re a legalist; just saying you might want to allow the kids to have some harmless fun.

Not a big fan of Santa either but in agreeing with QW my fatherly side says, why not let the kids have a little harmless fun ...I found out it pays off later in life some how.

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
12/23/18 3:43 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Tell them you'll be okay with Santa coming so long as he takes some time during the party to punch heretics in the face. That's what the real St. Nicholas did, according to church legend. Laughing [Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/23/18 3:50 pm

Post FLRon
Of course,I get it. It's just harmless fun. Let the kids have some fun. What's the harm in that? I love to have fun too. Life is too serious for most of us isn't it?

My issue is based on the fact that Santa as he is known today,is a lie. Not talking about the original St. Nicholas. Talking about Santa who tells little church kids that he knows all about them,even to the point of being able to grant their Christmas wishes.

Call me Scrooge,but I think it's highly hypocritical to permit this in any church, especially one claiming to be Spirit led.

Scrooge out...

Almost forgot, someone asked if there had been other "straws" and the answer is yes there have. I'm sure tomorrow I'll feel differently and file this away. As my wife says, what are you going to do,take on the entire COG?
12/23/18 4:23 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
For what it's worth, FLRon, I agree with you in your convictions here. We don't do Santa Claus with our kids. We told them he's a fun thing to make-believe about, and that a lot of kids believe he's real and that they shouldn't ruin anyone else's fun, but IMO Christmas should be about reflecting on and rejoicing in the God who took on flesh so He could save His people from their sins. Santa's great, but sorry, my schedule's all filled up with that.

I wouldn't make a stink about it if my church had a guy dressed up like Santa Claus (though I realize this is just another straw for the camel's back for you, and don't want to sound like I'm saying it's no big deal) -- but, they also would never do that, because they recognize that Jesus is the reason for this season. I'd be pretty disappointed if they did.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/23/18 5:32 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I am a recovering Puritan myself. For a few years, I actively campaigned to eliminate all pagan and/or unscriptural holiday observances from the church and from our home. Believe me when I say I understand the desire to have purity when it comes to things like Christmas, Santa, the Easter Bunny, Halloween, etc. Thankfully, I came to my senses before our two oldest got very big.

I finally realized a couple of things that helped me a lot. Perhaps others may find them helpful. One, I recognized the importance of tradition. Traditions are not inherently bad. Two, I recognized that worldly/pagan things can indeed be sanctified, like the cross, for instance. What was once a pagan Roman symbol of terror, torture and death is now the quintessential symbol of eternal life, and we are all far better for it. Three, I recognized the importance (and blessedness) of childhood imagination and play.

How this has worked out for us as parents is, we have always told our kids that Santa is real—in the precisely same way that Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck are real. We also tell them about St. Nicholas, and the evolution of the modern concept of Santa Claus.

Our kids, when they were little (our youngest is 7 now) still enjoyed sitting on Santa’s lap and telling him what they wanted for Christmas. They always knew it was play/pretend, and that it was actually mommy and daddy who were getting them presents. They always have known that movies like “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer,” or “Santa Claus is Coming to Town” were only fun kids’ shows. Our kids never have been bothered in the least by the fact that Santa is just a pretend character.

Anyway, that’s what we do. We have never had a Santa at our church, but it would not bother me, my wife or my kids if we did.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/23/18 6:46 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Having a Santa at church promising to grant wishes could definitely cause some problems, especially if the parents can't live up to it. Seems a bit over the top. I don't think we've ever had a Santa at church, either.

We allowed our kids to believe in Santa as long as they would, but when they asked if he was real, we just told them, "It's fun to believe he is." We never made a big deal out of it, but we let them be kids as long as they wanted to.

I learned Santa wasn't real in a Christmas message at church when I was 5 years old. Not really the ideal way, IMHO.

Will tell you a funny Santa story...when my youngest was around 8, he didn't really believe in Santa anymore, kinda questioning if it was real. My kids were home schooled for a lot of their childhoods, so they didn't have a lot of other cynical kids to deal with re: this. That year, he asked for roller skates, which I emphatically told him no, he was not getting roller skates for Christmas. At some point, I changed my mind & got him the roller skates he wanted. When he opened them, he said, "I know Santa must be real, cause Mama would have NEVER gotten me this!" LOL

A very fond memory for me now, since I haven't seen him in 8 years...but I'm still praying & believing!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/23/18 10:48 pm

Post Cojak
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
I am a recovering Puritan myself. For a few years, I actively campaigned to eliminate all pagan and/or unscriptural holiday observances from the church and from our home. Believe me when I say I understand the desire to have purity when it comes to things like Christmas, Santa, the Easter Bunny, Halloween, etc. Thankfully, I came to my senses before our two oldest got very big.

I finally realized a couple of things that helped me a lot. Perhaps others may find them helpful. One, I recognized the importance of tradition. Traditions are not inherently bad. Two, I recognized that worldly/pagan things can indeed be sanctified, like the cross, for instance. What was once a pagan Roman symbol of terror, torture and death is now the quintessential symbol of eternal life, and we are all far better for it. Three, I recognized the importance (and blessedness) of childhood imagination and play.

How this has worked out for us as parents is, we have always told our kids that Santa is real—in the precisely same way that Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck are real. We also tell them about St. Nicholas, and the evolution of the modern concept of Santa Claus.

Our kids, when they were little (our youngest is 7 now) still enjoyed sitting on Santa’s lap and telling him what they wanted for Christmas. They always knew it was play/pretend, and that it was actually mommy and daddy who were getting them presents. They always have known that movies like “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer,” or “Santa Claus is Coming to Town” were only fun kids’ shows. Our kids never have been bothered in the least by the fact that Santa is just a pretend character.

Anyway, that’s what we do. We have never had a Santa at our church, but it would not bother me, my wife or my kids if we did.

Good comment QW, that has been basically our family stand. I think it is solid.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/23/18 10:50 pm

Post Cojak
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Having a Santa at church promising to grant wishes could definitely cause some problems, especially if the parents can't live up to it. Seems a bit over the top. I don't think we've ever had a Santa at church, either.

We allowed our kids to believe in Santa as long as they would, but when they asked if he was real, we just told them, "It's fun to believe he is." We never made a big deal out of it, but we let them be kids as long as they wanted to.

I learned Santa wasn't real in a Christmas message at church when I was 5 years old. Not really the ideal way, IMHO.

Will tell you a funny Santa story...when my youngest was around 8, he didn't really believe in Santa anymore, kinda questioning if it was real. My kids were home schooled for a lot of their childhoods, so they didn't have a lot of other cynical kids to deal with re: this. That year, he asked for roller skates, which I emphatically told him no, he was not getting roller skates for Christmas. At some point, I changed my mind & got him the roller skates he wanted. When he opened them, he said, "I know Santa must be real, cause Mama would have NEVER gotten me this!" LOL

A very fond memory for me now, since I haven't seen him in 8 years...but I'm still praying & believing!

SWEET! Smile Crying or Very sad
12/23/18 10:52 pm

Post Re: Apparently,I am a leagalist Cojak
FLRon wrote:
AGAIN!

Like DD, I respect your stand. I have no problem with how you feel. I was probably more 'legalistic' (? I thought STRICT) in my earlier years. I toe'd the line. But realized if I explained to my sons, pretty much like QW, I could live with Santa.

Love you dude. Cool
12/23/18 10:59 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic