Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Low-energy Trump skips WW1 cemetary ceremony because of rain (L)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Low-energy Trump skips WW1 cemetary ceremony because of rain (L) Dave Dorsey
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/11/10/donald-trump-cancels-visit-wwi-cemetery-ceremony-because-rain/1958788002/

I'm posting this to ask you guys to think critically about how you would have responded to this if Obama had skipped a ceremony of this magnitude (100 year anniversary of the conclusion of the war) and sent his CoS and JCS instead because of rain. You guys would have EXCORIATED him, and rightfully so.

The argument that there was some unavoidable logistical issue because of the rain doesn't hold water because Kelly and Gen. Dunford went. Trump didn't want to go because it wasn't important to him, not more important than staying out of a little rain. If Obama had done this, what would your reaction be? Is that your reaction to Trump doing it? If not, why not?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/10/18 6:18 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Perhaps it would be best if you prayed for the President instead of taking shots at him.

Speculating what others should or shouldn't do is a fools game. Perhaps you should just worry about yourself instead of whether we meet your outrage meter.

We.dont know the real reason he couldn't make it. In fact, the President has consistently done the right thing concerning ceremonies for the military. Most charitable people are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Too bad it's too much to ask for some.
11/10/18 8:16 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
In fact, the President has consistently done the right thing concerning ceremonies for the military.

No he hasn't. He's never been to see deployed troops and he stopped going to Dover to receive the remains of KIAs because it creeped him out. There have also been multiple KIAs whose families received neither a call nor a letter from Trump.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/10/18 8:33 pm

Post Cojak
Yes I am disappointed he chose not to make it. And Yes I would have castigated President Obama. BUT I am afraid if The former president had done the same the headlines would have been much less 'snippy'.

It is a simple observation of mine, it is impossible for Trump to get good press no matter which way he shifts or goes.

But all in all, not even comparing him to Obama, I am disappointed.

But another side note. I sure would not have enjoyed him standing in the rain with a Marine stiffly holding an umbrella over his head. I can not get that picture out of my brain. Crying or Very sad Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/10/18 10:09 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Cojak wrote:
BUT I am afraid if The former president had done the same the headlines would have been much less 'snippy'.

It is a simple observation of mine, it is impossible for Trump to get good press no matter which way he shifts or goes.

That's a very true observation, Cojak. The press would not be picking on this if Obama had done something similar, but now they are trading in the same faux outrage that Republicans loved to trade in under President Obama. There is a gross amount of hypocrisy on both sides.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/10/18 10:32 pm

Post Cojak
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Cojak wrote:
BUT I am afraid if The former president had done the same the headlines would have been much less 'snippy'.

That's a very true observation, Cojak. The press would not be picking on this if Obama had done something similar, but now they are trading in the same faux outrage that Republicans loved to trade in under President Obama. There is a gross amount of hypocrisy on both sides.

That has been true for years..... When I do it, it is deserved. When you do it, not so much. Crying or Very sad
11/10/18 10:36 pm

Post UncleJD
I'm disappointed, but as has been pointed out, I don't know why. I am not disappointed that he is STILL not Hillary Wink Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
11/11/18 12:19 am

Post Link
I would not have castigated Obama over this. If I am not mistaken, WWI is not history and there are no more living American veterans of WWI to honor. From that perspective, it is history like the Civil War. But there are probably still some children of veterans to pay respects to.

WWI was not, IMO, the moral conflict that WWII was. It was a war over land and political entanglements brought on by an assassination. WWII had the concentration camps and treaty breaking attack on Pearl Harbor took a great number of our lives.

Trump looks pretty good for his age. But at 72, if he misses an event when its raining due to logistics, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Still, it would have looked a lot better if he would have went.
11/11/18 9:24 pm

Post Cojak
Link wrote:
I would not have castigated Obama over this. If I am not mistaken, WWI is not history and there are no more living American veterans of WWI to honor. From that perspective, it is history like the Civil War. But there are probably still some children of veterans to pay respects to.

WWI was not, IMO, the moral conflict that WWII was. It was a war over land and political entanglements brought on by an assassination. WWII had the concentration camps and treaty breaking attack on Pearl Harbor took a great number of our lives.

Trump looks pretty good for his age. But at 72, if he misses an event when its raining due to logistics, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Still, it would have looked a lot better if he would have went.

Good points Link.....
11/11/18 10:41 pm

Post pitiful JimmieDavis
Dave takes shots at the president regularly which isnt a shock. He takes jabs at many leaders. Someone plant a seed. Grow a tree. So Dave can have a tree to hug. Friendly Face
11/11/18 10:50 pm

Post UncleJD
Link wrote:

You're right that WWI has little legacy remaining other than a historical footnote of how the grandchildren of Queen Victoria gave the world one last roll with the evils of Monarchy along with the genocide of the Armenian Christians by Turkey. From what I read (not claiming to know all the answers like some), Trump missed that particular event because his motorcade was going to block some major traffic artery and they didn't feel it was worth doing. I sincerely HOPE I have the energy Trump has at 72. I struggle to get that much at 48.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
11/12/18 9:16 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Link wrote:
But at 72, if he misses an event when its raining due to logistics, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Just to be clear -- I have no qualm with this position. I just wanted to point out how this sort of thing would have been viewed by the right (myself included) had Obama done it, and challenge folks to think about why their reaction might be different.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/12/18 9:50 am

Post Re: pitiful Dave Dorsey
JimmieDavis wrote:
Dave takes shots at the president regularly which isnt a shock. He takes jabs at many leaders. Someone plant a seed. Grow a tree. So Dave can have a tree to hug.

That's really thoughtful and I appreciate it very much, but I respect the agency of trees and would not want to hug a tree without its consent.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/12/18 9:52 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Just to be clear -- I have no qualm with this position. I just wanted to point out how this sort of thing would have been viewed by the right (myself included) had Obama done it, and challenge folks to think about why their reaction might be different.

That said, I am genuinely very irritated at how Trump has treated servicemembers when it counts. It's one thing to talk about how much you support the military when you're at a rally and you know it's going to be a huge applause line. It's another thing to go to Dover in the dead of night to receive the remains of a KIA. It's another thing to call or write the families of KIAs. It's another thing to visit warfighters in the awful places where they are deployed. Trump has not done or no longer does these things, and IMO those are the things that counts.

This is a president who supports the idea of the military, and that's good. Obama was not a president who supported the idea of the military. But this is not a president who supports our individual servicemembers and warfighters, and that is the support that counts.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/12/18 9:57 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Here's another example: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/veterans-haven-t-receive-gi-bill-benefits-months-due-ongoing-n934696?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

Vets are on the brink of financial ruin because GI Bill benefits haven't been paid for months due to an IT issue at the VA.

The VA is a disaster, and it was a disaster before Trump. Granted. That said, when the VA had issues (to put it lightly) under Obama, Republicans said the buck stops with him, and rightly so. So why does Trump get a pass? Especially as we come up on 2 years of his presidency? Why hasn't he fixed it, with his party being in full control of the government?

The root cause of this issue is the 2017 Forever GI Bill. Great bill -- very supportive of our servicemembers and veterans. Except it didn't include funding for the resources required to handle the higher load, resulting in the issue we have now. This was Trump's bill, the GOP's bill -- so, why aren't they at fault? Why does Trump get to shout at rallies about how much he supports the military as vets go bankrupt and lose their homes because of mismanagement under his administration? We sure as anything would not have let Obama get away with giving pro-military applause lines at rallies while something like this was going on.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/12/18 10:09 am

Post Cojak
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Here's another example: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/veterans-haven-t-receive-gi-bill-benefits-months-due-ongoing-n934696?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

Vets are on the brink of financial ruin because GI Bill benefits haven't been paid for months due to an IT issue at the VA.

The VA is a disaster, and it was a disaster before Trump. Granted. That said, when the VA had issues (to put it lightly) under Obama, Republicans said the buck stops with him, and rightly so. So why does Trump get a pass? Especially as we come up on 2 years of his presidency? Why hasn't he fixed it, with his party being in full control of the government?

The root cause of this issue is the 2017 Forever GI Bill. Great bill -- very supportive of our servicemembers and veterans. Except it didn't include funding for the resources required to handle the higher load, resulting in the issue we have now. This was Trump's bill, the GOP's bill -- so, why aren't they at fault? Why does Trump get to shout at rallies about how much he supports the military as vets go bankrupt and lose their homes because of mismanagement under his administration? We sure as anything would not have let Obama get away with giving pro-military applause lines at rallies while something like this was going on.

I do not know anyone personally who has been 'messed with' or left to starve or have been ruined. I must admit it took awhile to get their attention, but I am satisfied that the VA, where I go is good for the VETS.
I do not doubt you can find horror stories, and I hate that. But there are horror stories in EVERY government program. I worked in DC for several years and the stories all round are no fun. I am not sure Trump can be blamed for the VA's short comings. Just my opinion.
Maybe I am just fortunate or among the few that think they are doing a pretty god job. Shocked
11/12/18 11:12 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Cojak wrote:
I am not sure Trump can be blamed for the VA's short comings. Just my opinion.

I mostly agree. I think after two years it might be time to start transitioning to viewing him as responsible, but it was definitely a mess well before he got there. Again, my point is just the difference in reaction between him and Obama.

BTW, I'm picking on the right here because that's my side. But of course this type of hypocrisy is rampant on the left as well.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/12/18 11:21 am

Post Re: pitiful Eddie Robbins
JimmieDavis wrote:
Dave takes shots at the president regularly which isnt a shock. He takes jabs at many leaders. Someone plant a seed. Grow a tree. So Dave can have a tree to hug.

If one can’t win a debate, go personal just like Trump. Maybe, call him lyin’ Dave.
Acts-pert Poster
11/12/18 2:04 pm

Post Re: pitiful Nature Boy Florida
Eddie Robbins wrote:
JimmieDavis wrote:

If one can’t win a debate, go personal just like Trump. Maybe, call him lyin’ Dave.

Looks like Dave already took up the Trump mantle.
He has already called someone "low energy" - so Dave is the Acts Trump.
We will have to be the other guys that Dave Trump beats down.
11/12/18 2:27 pm

Post Re: pitiful Dave Dorsey
Eddie Robbins wrote:

I really did enjoy being called a tree-hugger in a thread about the armed services lol.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/12/18 2:53 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic