Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

About not being married in the resurrection....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post About not being married in the resurrection.... Aaron Scott
It might be that "resurrection" does not mean eternity, but regardless, here's my question:

"If your wife is not your wife during the resurrection, are your children your children?"

Might it be that every bond--marital or blood--is done away with the in resurrection?

And your children are your children, it's seems somewhat untoward to have children in what would seem to be something akin to an "out of wedlock" situation.

Thoughts?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
11/8/18 1:55 pm

Post Re: About not being married in the resurrection.... Mat
Aaron Scott wrote:
It might be that "resurrection" does not mean eternity, but regardless, here's my question:

"If your wife is not your wife during the resurrection, are your children your children?"

Might it be that every bond--marital or blood--is done away with the in resurrection?

And your children are your children, it's seems somewhat untoward to have children in what would seem to be something akin to an "out of wedlock" situation.

Thoughts?

Aaron,

We are on the wrong side of the Resurrection to answer that question. We are limited in our understanding by our finite minds when it comes to the eternal nature of life after the resurrection. We do not have all the information about heaven yet (we know in part), but at the Resurrection/Second Coming we will see what its all about.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
11/9/18 8:06 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
I have sometimes thought that it will be a bummer if my wife and I can’t make love in Heaven. That’s probably because it’s difficult to imagine how wonderful Heaven will be. Paul’s description of the glorified state including to “know as we are known” sounds like intimacy beyond what is even conceivable in this life. No doubt we will still love our friends and family, but perfectly so, in every way, with no taint of sin. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/9/18 8:16 am

Post It is particularly cruel to my wife... Aaron Scott
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
I have sometimes thought that it will be a bummer if my wife and I can’t make love in Heaven. That’s probably because it’s difficult to imagine how wonderful Heaven will be. Paul’s description of the glorified state including to “know as we are known” sounds like intimacy beyond what is even conceivable in this life. No doubt we will still love our friends and family, but perfectly so, in every way, with no taint of sin.

Finally, the moment I FINALLY will get my act fully together and be a perfect husband...that's no longer an option.

It seems to me that this indicates that marriage is seldom the bliss that many claim that it is or should be, but is rather a carnal, fleshly convenience that will be done away with when we are perfected. In fact, it might be that our imperfection is what makes us see the need for marriage.

No wonder Paul said that those who marry will have trouble in the flesh.

Of course, now that I think of it, not having to put up with me any longer my be considered a very good thing for my wife. Hmmmmm.....
11/9/18 12:50 pm

Post Re: It is particularly cruel to my wife... Dave Dorsey
Aaron Scott wrote:
It seems to me that this indicates that marriage is seldom the bliss that many claim that it is or should be, but is rather a carnal, fleshly convenience that will be done away with when we are perfected. In fact, it might be that our imperfection is what makes us see the need for marriage.

I don't think this view is reasonable when we consider the things we do know about marriage. For example, we know that children are a blessing from God, and that they cannot be born in accordance with God's standards through anything but marriage. We know that the command to be fruitful and multiply cannot be obeyed without marriage. Therefore, it does not stand to reason that marriage is just some carnal convenience. The Bible says that he who finds a wife finds a good thing.

We are not told how marriage will look in the resurrection. But we will err if we make guesses about it through any lens other than what we do know about marriage. To say that those who marry will have trouble (in the context of a church suffering immediate persecution) is not the same as saying that marriage is somehow wrong or an accommodation for our sin.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/9/18 1:32 pm

Post FLRon
If marriage is an honorable institution designed by God,and if God is 100% pro marriage,why would He dissolve marriage in the next life? Are we to assume that marriage is one of those "former things" that has passed away?
11/9/18 2:08 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Is there sex in heaven?
If not, is there a need for marriage in heaven?
11/9/18 3:08 pm

Post Ain't no wife gone'a hold this body down ... Mat
FLRon wrote:
If marriage is an honorable institution designed by God,and if God is 100% pro marriage,why would He dissolve marriage in the next life? Are we to assume that marriage is one of those "former things" that has passed away?

I would think the question Jesus was answering about marriage in heaven would give context to understanding the nature of our resurrected body as well as the New Heaven and the New Earth. In this life you may have just one "God ordained" marriage, or you could have more than one, depending on circumstances. To enter eternity with God the spiritual condition of your wife (wives) does not factor in, its your relationship with Christ that matters.

Now the Mormons teach the wife/wives of the Mormon man will have to wait in the grave until her/their husband calls her/them out. Then she/they will be eternally pregnant so they may populate the "world" they will be "gods" over. My wife says that would not be heaven to her.

The Muslims say they are going to have sex in heaven a lot (you know the promise of many virgins for the faithful and martyrs). Not sure where that leaves the Muslim wives, but I'm thinking in Muslim heaven there will be a shortage of virgins (we are already seeing that shortage on earth these days).

For Christians, we have some instruction/teaching on the nature of eternal life in heaven, but its the One who sits on the Throne whose going to fill in the missing details.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
11/9/18 3:18 pm

Post JLarry
Hont know Margret!

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
11/9/18 3:23 pm

Post Dave Dorsey...I stand corrected. Thank you! Aaron Scott
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

I don't think this view is reasonable when we consider the things we do know about marriage. For example, we know that children are a blessing from God, and that they cannot be born in accordance with God's standards through anything but marriage. We know that the command to be fruitful and multiply cannot be obeyed without marriage. Therefore, it does not stand to reason that marriage is just some carnal convenience. The Bible says that he who finds a wife finds a good thing.

We are not told how marriage will look in the resurrection. But we will err if we make guesses about it through any lens other than what we do know about marriage. To say that those who marry will have trouble (in the context of a church suffering immediate persecution) is not the same as saying that marriage is somehow wrong or an accommodation for our sin.

You are right!
11/9/18 4:54 pm

Post Consider that "in the resurrection" may not be the same things as "in eternity" or "in heaven&q Aaron Scott
We are using "in the resurrection" interchangeably with our notions of eternity. That may not be what it means.

Also, consider that if it means what we think it seems to mean, children will no longer know their mother as the wife of their father. Or at least maybe.

I wonder if it is speaking specifically of the resurrection to judgment? That is, in the judgment, we stand alone, not considering just who you were married to, etc.?

Just a thought.
11/9/18 4:58 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
If Christ will still know His mother in Heaven, and we will know as we are known, why wouldn’t we all know each other? [Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/9/18 6:30 pm

Post Cojak
I do enjoy the speculation. It is nice to think about. It gets very complicated when you think of the marriages here on earth. In our family, My wife's sister died. My brother in law died. In a little while My sister married my wife's brother in law.

But all that is confusing to the natural mind. But I am sure there is no problem in heaven for this to be worked out. God can do anything, I have sung that many times.

Hey Brother Aaron, about that perfect husband thing. It gets easier to be the perfect husband the older you get. My wife says I am already better at it in only 62 years. I will have it down pat by our 70th anniversary. (I HOPE!)

I am enjoying this post. My wife even likes it.

Hey Mat, she don't like that eternally pregnant thing either! Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/9/18 9:21 pm

Post Re: About not being married in the resurrection.... Link
Aaron Scott wrote:

Thoughts?

My thoughts on this are: huh?

Are you concerned that you might be flying around in your 'glorified body' in the millenium, and tell some mortal that some other flying resurected human is your son, and be embarrassed because their is no marriage anymore, and they will think you had the child out of wedlock? Maybe they will know the rules.
11/10/18 1:40 am

Post Da Sheik
I had a seminary professor that offered some great perspective. Comparing time with eternity is like trying to compare birth with the womb. No one longs for the joys of the womb once he is born into the world. I have this sneaking suspicion that God has so much joy in store for us that we won’t long for sex or marriage in the resurrection. But I’m no scholar ! Acts Enthusiast
11/10/18 6:45 pm

Post Cojak
Da Sheik wrote:
I had a seminary professor that offered some great perspective. Comparing time with eternity is like trying to compare birth with the womb. No one longs for the joys of the womb once he is born into the world. I have this sneaking suspicion that God has so much joy in store for us that we won’t long for sex or marriage in the resurrection. But I’m no scholar !

I agree with you here............ but about the sex thing......... I can't wait to see the joys there, but you know that human comparison thing.... Smile Smile Smile

But the point is well taken! Cool I like the Profs perspective..... Oh the JOYS that await!
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/10/18 10:15 pm

Post Link
I hear the Muslims believe the virgins will be renewed as virgins every day. If there were a Muslim-Mormon heaven, women would wake up as pregnant virgins every day, I guess. That would be messed up.
11/11/18 9:13 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
I think we will know of our relationships we had on earth, and if they were important here, they would be significant there, but they will be different. We will not have need of others as we did here, because Christ will truly be the focus of our being.

I heard someone express it once that we would not have the same bonds or "possessiveness" of anyone else. What would be the purpose of being faithful to your companion all those years on earth and you not even know one another in heaven? I would think we would still be connected in some way but probably in a way we can't comprehend now. And we won't be bound by fleshly desires there, which probably keeps a lot of couples together here. Wink

Speaking as a mother, I would be horrified to find my children don't know me or me them. That would not be heaven for mothers!

And nix on the eternally pregnant thing! Shocked
11/11/18 9:43 pm

Post Re: It is particularly cruel to my wife... Tom Sterbens
Aaron Scott wrote:

Finally, the moment I FINALLY will get my act fully together and be perfect ....

I'm not sure even heaven has that much power.
But that's me...
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
11/12/18 9:48 pm

Post Tom, touche! Aaron Scott
A point to you! Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
11/13/18 12:05 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic