Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Nice building, small congregation and hearing

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Nice building, small congregation and hearing Cojak
I have no doubt the blind person cannot imagine anyone gambling with their eyesight, sight is precious. Parents keep sharp objects from children and warn against damage to their eyes. YET WILL SUBJECT THEIR CHILDREN TO EAR DAMAGING MUSIC. I mean sounds so loud they would be off the 'Decibel Scale'.
We revisited a small church yesterday. I could not remember why we had not returned, it is the closest to our Florida home. As we approached my wife said the drums are loud. There were 20-25 in attendance, about 10 were children.

Twice I had to remove my hearing devices. While sitting there holding my 'program loosely' I felt it vibrating. I laid it on my wife's hands and she nodded she felt the vibrations. The closest I could describe the sound was a Marine helicopter with no mickey mouse ears on. Most military troops were subjected to loud noises before someone realized we were ruining our hearing.

Toward the end of the service I went deaf. Both devices went flat line and nothing I could do would revive them. I motioned to my wife I could not hear and I needed to go. Outside she could hear me of course and I explained I needed to go home and get a back-up device (all the time hoping something 'inside my head' was not blown requiring surgery.)

But thank the Lord about two miles down the road all of a sudden I could hear. There must be some type of lockout, I will look into that. We will not return to that church, but what an adult does to their ears is their business, but I cannot get the sight of those kids relishing in the noise as they excitedly waved little flags. I love to see kids involved but there is a VERY GOOD possibility these children will have hearing loss before 30-40 years of age. Maybe sooner. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Some people cannot see past the here and now. I was bombarded by 'cancer and cigarettes' until I finally quit. I had never considered the long term damage. That long term damage also applies to ears.....

I cannot imagine the Lord needing sounds that loud when He is present. Shocked Some one needs an education in sound in many churches today. Embarassed Embarassed Idea Idea
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/22/18 10:09 am

Post Re: Nice building, small congregation and hearing Mat
Cojak wrote:
I have no doubt the blind person cannot imagine anyone gambling with their eyesight, sight is precious. Parents keep sharp objects from children and warn against damage to their eyes. YET WILL SUBJECT THEIR CHILDREN TO EAR DAMAGING MUSIC. I mean sounds so loud they would be off the 'Decibel Scale'.
We revisited a small church yesterday. I could not remember why we had not returned, it is the closest to our Florida home. As we approached my wife said the drums are loud. There were 20-25 in attendance, about 10 were children.

Twice I had to remove my hearing devices. While sitting there holding my 'program loosely' I felt it vibrating. I laid it on my wife's hands and she nodded she felt the vibrations. The closest I could describe the sound was a Marine helicopter with no mickey mouse ears on. Most military troops were subjected to loud noises before someone realized we were ruining our hearing.

Toward the end of the service I went deaf. Both devices went flat line and nothing I could do would revive them. I motioned to my wife I could not hear and I needed to go. Outside she could hear me of course and I explained I needed to go home and get a back-up device (all the time hoping something 'inside my head' was not blown requiring surgery.)

But thank the Lord about two miles down the road all of a sudden I could hear. There must be some type of lockout, I will look into that. We will not return to that church, but what an adult does to their ears is their business, but I cannot get the sight of those kids relishing in the noise as they excitedly waved little flags. I love to see kids involved but there is a VERY GOOD possibility these children will have hearing loss before 30-40 years of age. Maybe sooner. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Some people cannot see past the here and now. I was bombarded by 'cancer and cigarettes' until I finally quit. I had never considered the long term damage. That long term damage also applies to ears.....

I cannot imagine the Lord needing sounds that loud when He is present. Shocked Some one needs an education in sound in many churches today. Embarassed Embarassed Idea Idea

Music volume has become a substitute for experience the move of the Holy Spirit. If I want a rock concert, I'll go to a rock concert, the music better and the the experience is more defined then what I have seen in many churches. Many Christians today need the multi-media experience at church to have any feelings or emotions about attending. The depth of the Christian experience has been replaced by the deaf of decidable highs.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
10/22/18 10:42 am

Post Re: Nice building, small congregation and hearing roughridercog
Cojak wrote:

Twice I had to remove my hearing devices. While sitting there holding my 'program loosely' I felt it vibrating. I laid it on my wife's hands and she nodded she felt the vibrations. The closest I could describe the sound was a Marine helicopter with no mickey mouse ears on. Most military troops were msubjected to loud noises before someone realized we were ruining our hearing.

I hit mute on my hearing aids when I get to church. I completely understand.
10/22/18 11:06 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
I had a very odd experience some years ago. When attending a revival service at a friend’s church in a town an hour and a half away, my wife and I both noted the music volume was way too loud, at times painfully loud. They had a quite talented praise band and singers, and it was entertaining, but our young children had to put their hands over their ears at times. The music was performed soulfully and well, but it just needed to be dialed back several decibels.

After the service, my friend’s church hosted a fellowship meal, in which we partook. I had intended to gently suggest to my friend that though their music was great, it actually physically hurt our ears at times due to how loud it was. As I was sitting down fixing to eat with him, I complimented him on his band. The first words out of his mouth in response were, “We often get complaints from visitors about how loud we are, but we won’t apologize for being Pentecostal.” I knew that it would be pointless to say anything. Last time I checked, being Pentecostal didn’t mean music so loud it hurt people’s ears.

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 10/22/18 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/22/18 12:33 pm

Post FLRon
I can relate. The church I attend has an aging rocker playing lead guitar in the praise band,or what I refer to as the pastor's bar band cause that's where they were recruited from.
Said rocker treats us to ear splitting solos in between verses of nearly every song. Quite the worship experience I tell ya.
NOT.
10/22/18 1:58 pm

Post Is it the same way at your state meetings? roughridercog
These days I hit mute on my hearing aid button. If I didn't, I would be in physical pain. Here is a rough fact to face. If the volume of your music is causing physical pain to people, God is not pleased.

See my thread on a capella worship.

It might be refreshing.
10/22/18 4:18 pm

Post Is it the same way at your state meetings? roughridercog
These days I hit mute on my hearing aid button. If I didn't, I would be in physical pain. Here is a rough fact to face. If the volume of your music is causing physical pain to people, God is not pleased.

See my thread on a capella worship.

It might be refreshing.
10/22/18 4:18 pm

Post Church of Christ Mat
Maybe the Church of Christ is on to something. No loud showboat musicians, no praise and worship being the dominate part of the service (maybe prayer, preaching and communion could get some time) and no more complaints about volume.

However, there could be fewer in the pews, but then the thread began about a small church with just 25 in attendance and loud drums. I wonder how the Apostle Paul death with music in the church service. Did he have a temperamental guitarist who had to play a solo ever song? Did his praise team look like they had just come from "Biker Week" at the beach? Was there concern that his choir director was a "little light in the loafers" (do people say that anymore, can you say that anymore)?

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
10/22/18 5:31 pm

Post Re: Nice building, small congregation and hearing georgiapath
Mat wrote:
Cojak wrote:

Music volume has become a substitute for experience the move of the Holy Spirit. If I want a rock concert, I'll go to a rock concert, the music better and the the experience is more defined then what I have seen in many churches. Many Christians today need the multi-media experience at church to have any feelings or emotions about attending. The depth of the Christian experience has been replaced by the deaf of decidable highs.

Mat

My thoughts exactly, if the songs made any sense they wouldn't need to have it so loud.
Acts-dicted
10/22/18 7:37 pm

Post Re: Nice building, small congregation and hearing georgiapath
Mat wrote:
Cojak wrote:

Mat

Amen, I keep waiting for them to outgrow the rock concert mentality. I think that is the only way they can get the young people to come but is it really doing them any good?
Acts-dicted
10/22/18 7:44 pm

Post Re: Nice building, small congregation and hearing Cojak
georgiapath wrote:

Amen, I keep waiting for them to outgrow the rock concert mentality. I think that is the only way they can get the young people to come but is it really doing them any good?

I am not sure that is what is holding them, at least I hope and pray not. I attended 'The Rock' in Orlando last year. The music was NOT ear splitting but very comfortable and worshipful. They had 50 on stage as a praise team and the music and instruments were worshipful and respectful.

Hopefully we can outgrow the 'Rock Concert' mentality. Embarassed Cool
10/22/18 8:37 pm

Post Re: Nice building, small congregation and hearing THE LOVE OF GOD
Mat wrote:
Cojak wrote:

Mat

lot of these churches have replaced the anointing with loud music and sad to say, a lot of people don't know the difference. But, we older ones who have been in great services with the anointing, we know the difference. Churches seem to be in competition with larger churches. I would rather have 30 faithful prayer warrior church people with the anointing than a big church who have an imitation - but not the anointing. I know of a great preacher who tells the story that he was going to a COG preaching at a large gathering (ex campmeeting or something like that) and someone ask him if he had seen some replies on FB concerning his speaking at the meeting and they had commented, oh no, he will take us back 40 years because of his style of preaching and letting God use him. He doesn't have a FB account but confirmed it with someone else and that night, he got up and said the same words - I have been accused of taking you back 40 years and he said, No, I am taking you back more than that - back to the Day of Pentecost. The older crowd were excited. I want the anointing - what I have always experienced and loudness does not replace the anointing - never has and NEVER will.
Friendly Face
10/23/18 4:27 pm

Post Cojak
My point is the situation. Nothing immediate will be seen in the musicians or the children. But 1 in 4 (25%) of those sweet children and the adult attendees of that church will lose a good bit of their hearing. FACTUAL STATISTICS (low end)

It is like the smoker that you try to tell he just may get cancer, he just cannot think it will happen to him. He knows an uncle who smoked two packs a day and lived to be 90 and a non smoker uncle who died at 60. I know that because I built those 'straw men' myown self.

Quote:

A typical conversation occurs at 60 dB – not loud enough to cause damage.
A bulldozer that is idling (note that this is idling, not actively bulldozing) is loud enough at 85 dB that it can cause permanent damage after only 1 work day (8 hours).

When listening to a personal music system with stock earphones at a maximum volume, the sound generated can reach a level of over 100 dBA, loud enough to begin causing permanent damage after just 15 minutes per day!
Of the roughly 40 million Americans suffering from hearing loss, 10 million can be attributed to noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL). NIHL can be caused by a one-time exposure to loud sound as well as by repeated exposure to sounds at various loudness levels over an extended period of time. Damage happens to the microscopic hair cells found inside the cochlea. These cells respond to mechanical sound vibrations by sending an electrical signal to the auditory nerve. Different groups of hair cells are responsible for different frequencies (rate of vibrations). The healthy human ear can hear frequencies ranging from 20Hz to 20,000 Hz. Over time, the hair cell’s hair-like stereocilia may get damaged or broken. If enough of them are damaged, hearing loss results. The high frequency area of the cochlea is often damaged by loud sound.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
10/28/18 9:07 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic