Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Andrew Jackson and Donald Trump

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Andrew Jackson and Donald Trump Aaron Scott
I am reading "American Lion," about the presidency of Andrew Jackson. Over and over, I have been taken aback by the uncanny similarities between their administrations.

Andrew Jackson ran against the "elite," bringing the common man into the democratic mix in a larger way. Trump? Even though he is elite in the sense of wealth, it is clear that the elite do not like him...and the common folks often do.

Andrew Jackson's campaign for the presidency was so hateful--his wife and he were accused of adultery, since they married before her divorce was final (claiming they did not know it wasn't final). The John Quincy Adams came played big on that. Jackson's wife, Rachel, died before he took office. He always felt that it was due to the stress and hatefulness of the campaign. We saw some similarity in Trump's campaign. NOT that he didn't deserve some very strong knocks, but the fact that everything possible was done to tarnish his image and force him to lose.

With the "Tariff of Abomination" on the South, and the South's claim that they could "nullify" federal laws they did not agree with, Jackson had to try to preserve the Union, despite some wanting to secede (30 years before the Civil War!). Those thought that if they could ensure that he didn't get reelected, so much would be solved. The same seems to be the case for Trump--the Democrats are hoping that if he loses the White House (or Congress), they can then do what they want to.

Jackson got hammered every which way, yet kept coming back for more until he won the day. Seems Trump is much the same.

This is NOT an attempt to paint Trump as a great President or even worthy, perhaps, to be included with Jackson; rather, it is to simply acknowledge the many coincidences between their administrations.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/4/18 11:02 am

Post Eddie Robbins
I saw The Roosevelts on Netflix and saw similarities with Trump and Teddie. A huge difference is social media. Imagine the popularity numbers had Trump just shut up on Twitter? It has really hurt him. Yes, other presidents have cursed and been brash but never like this one where everyone could read it. Acts-pert Poster
10/4/18 2:33 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
There's nothing new under the sun.
10/4/18 2:58 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
This is funny. Today I was comparing Trump to a cross between Jackson and Tyler, the latter being expelled by his own party while he was President!
10/4/18 3:45 pm

Post Eddie... Aaron Scott
Eddie Robbins wrote:
I saw The Roosevelts on Netflix and saw similarities with Trump and Teddie. A huge difference is social media. Imagine the popularity numbers had Trump just shut up on Twitter? It has really hurt him. Yes, other presidents have cursed and been brash but never like this one where everyone could read it.

I think you're dead right. Another thing is that, before Watergate, the press tended to turn a blind eye (at least to a greater extent than now) to presidential indiscretions. For instance, the whole JFK and Marilyn Monroe affair didn't get a much or any traction until much later.

Today, the press will do everything in their power to "kill" Trump. Break up his marriage, if possible? Absolutely. They simply don't care.

It was only with Trump's ascent that I began to more fully recognize that utter hatefulness and one-sidedness of the press. Every speech he gives is relentlessly torn apart. The press is doing their best to try to get everyone else as outraged as they are about Trump.

It would be a beautiful thing if, just like when Trump won over Hilary, that despite all that the press has tried to do, Trump wins HUGE again.

Some "fake news" is very easy to recognize (e.g., "Obama Admits He's a Muslim!"), but when fake news come wrapped up in print on respectable papers, we tend to think it might be true. I am finding more and more that, just like a shark frenzy, there may be no grand conspiracy, but everyone is wanting to be the journalist, be the paper, be the show that brings down Trump.

As much as I detest his mouth, if anyone has a good reason to hit back, it's Trump.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/5/18 10:19 am

Post Re: Eddie... Cojak
Aaron Scott wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
I saw The Roosevelts on Netflix and saw similarities with Trump and Teddie. A huge difference is social media. Imagine the popularity numbers had Trump just shut up on Twitter? It has really hurt him. Yes, other presidents have cursed and been brash but never like this one where everyone could read it.

I think you're dead right. Another thing is that, before Watergate, the press tended to turn a blind eye (at least to a greater extent than now) to presidential indiscretions. For instance, the whole JFK and Marilyn Monroe affair didn't get a much or any traction until much later.

Today, the press will do everything in their power to "kill" Trump. Break up his marriage, if possible? Absolutely. They simply don't care.

It was only with Trump's ascent that I began to more fully recognize that utter hatefulness and one-sidedness of the press. Every speech he gives is relentlessly torn apart. The press is doing their best to try to get everyone else as outraged as they are about Trump.

It would be a beautiful thing if, just like when Trump won over Hilary, that despite all that the press has tried to do, Trump wins HUGE again.

Some "fake news" is very easy to recognize (e.g., "Obama Admits He's a Muslim!"), but when fake news come wrapped up in print on respectable papers, we tend to think it might be true. I am finding more and more that, just like a shark frenzy, there may be no grand conspiracy, but everyone is wanting to be the journalist, be the paper, be the show that brings down Trump.

As much as I detest his mouth, if anyone has a good reason to hit back, it's Trump.

You have hit 'fake news' in the correct light. I despised e-mails accusing Obama of things I knew were stupid and ridiculous. Now it has skipped from e-mails to accepted l printed news.

I am hearing it now from 'friends' fake stuff, , Hillary is dong this, Obama is doing that.

BUT for a fact there is 'no sacred' area untouched. I do not like the fact that there are folks would LOVE a divorce in the presidency just for political advantage.

The first lady has more guts than I can imagine if she doesn't say, "Hey Donald if you want to stay 4 more years I am out of here. You have got it by your self, I am tired of the big shots and the cheap shots. Embarassed Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/5/18 10:15 pm

Post Re: Andrew Jackson and Donald Trump Link
Aaron Scott wrote:
I am reading "American Lion," about the presidency of Andrew Jackson. Over and over, I have been taken aback by the uncanny similarities between their administrations.

Andrew Jackson ran against the "elite," bringing the common man into the democratic mix in a larger way. Trump? Even though he is elite in the sense of wealth, it is clear that the elite do not like him...and the common folks often do.

Andrew Jackson's campaign for the presidency was so hateful--his wife and he were accused of adultery, since they married before her divorce was final (claiming they did not know it wasn't final). The John Quincy Adams came played big on that. Jackson's wife, Rachel, died before he took office. He always felt that it was due to the stress and hatefulness of the campaign. We saw some similarity in Trump's campaign. NOT that he didn't deserve some very strong knocks, but the fact that everything possible was done to tarnish his image and force him to lose.

With the "Tariff of Abomination" on the South, and the South's claim that they could "nullify" federal laws they did not agree with, Jackson had to try to preserve the Union, despite some wanting to secede (30 years before the Civil War!). Those thought that if they could ensure that he didn't get reelected, so much would be solved. The same seems to be the case for Trump--the Democrats are hoping that if he loses the White House (or Congress), they can then do what they want to.

Jackson got hammered every which way, yet kept coming back for more until he won the day. Seems Trump is much the same.

This is NOT an attempt to paint Trump as a great President or even worthy, perhaps, to be included with Jackson; rather, it is to simply acknowledge the many coincidences between their administrations.

I thought about the similarities when there was talk of Trump electors voting against Trump and for Hillary. That would have been similar to the election Jackson lost.

Both men fell short in their sexual/marital morality prior to the presidency. They say Jackson's campaign promoted a rumor that Henry Clay's department had paid for prostitutes overseas. One historian said the difference between the allegations against Jackson and his wife and Clay and his wife was that the allegations against Jackson were true.

I hadn't heard about this part about his marrying his wife before she got a divorce. The fact that he'd married another man's wife was a scandal, I suppose, back then when people still had a basic sense of marital morality.

Both were men that much of the country could just not tolerate the idea of being president. Jackson went against the Supreme Court and shipped peaceable Indians over to Okahoma, having them marched across the country. Trump has pushed back against illegal immigration and has called for no Muslims entering the US. Trump is much milder than Jackson on a lot of this stuff.

I heard Hitler got some inspiration on how to treat the Jews, from Jackson, the founding president of the Democrat party in the US.
10/7/18 9:20 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic