Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Male Privilege, Historically
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Nature Boy Florida
Dave Dorsey wrote:
aprilmay, I wish you didn't have such a storied history of trolling on this forum. I'd love to take your post (some of which I agree with) at face value and have an exchange of ideas about it with you. But I have no way of knowing whether or not I'd be the only sincere person in the discussion.

You'd be sincerely sorry for attempting...that much I can tell you.
10/9/18 4:12 pm

Post Dave aprilmay2.0
You're acting like a drama queen.

Baseed on your sarcastic history, how would I really know you are sincere?

If you want to have a free exchange of ideas- lets talk. But here's a general tip for internet activity. You have to take everything at face value. Since you can't see my body language or read my intonation, you have no other choice than to look at the words on the screen and digest them.

If I were you, I'd quit keeping score and start discussing.Thats what makes a discussion forum good. The discussion. Remember, this isn't a place for evangelism, its a place for discussion. Then, if you feel like Im less than sincere, just stop talking. Thats part of the beauty of America.

NBF- quit trolling. DD and I are trying to have an intelligent discussion. Im assuming by your comment that you are sorry for interacting with me? Feelings mutual.
Friendly Face
10/10/18 9:24 am

Post Dave Dorsey
lol

Okay... I'll give it a try.

I'm curious to learn more about your attendance in DC over the weekend. Could you share your motivations for attending and what you were hoping to see happen, and why?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/10/18 9:30 am

Post Re: Dave Nature Boy Florida
aprilmay2.0 wrote:
You're acting like a drama queen.

Baseed on your sarcastic history, how would I really know you are sincere?

If you want to have a free exchange of ideas- lets talk. But here's a general tip for internet activity. You have to take everything at face value. Since you can't see my body language or read my intonation, you have no other choice than to look at the words on the screen and digest them.

If I were you, I'd quit keeping score and start discussing.Thats what makes a discussion forum good. The discussion. Remember, this isn't a place for evangelism, its a place for discussion. Then, if you feel like Im less than sincere, just stop talking. Thats part of the beauty of America.

NBF- quit trolling. DD and I are trying to have an intelligent discussion. Im assuming by your comment that you are sorry for interacting with me? Feelings mutual.

Who is trolling? I have posted several serious responses in this thread alone. I don't think you can say the same.
10/10/18 11:22 am

Post DC aprilmay2.0
Dave,

I didn't go to DC and Im not on the Cof18. I was joking to help stir the preverbial white male pot.

But had I gone, I would have went with an open mind. I honestly don't think kavanaugh did it. But the courage it takes for a woman to come forward after this type of victimization is tremendous.

Memories fade and things change and sometimes peoples memories aren't reliable.

I guess the most disappointing thing is how the whole scenario was politicized. The dems wanted to block a conservative judge. Thats plain and simple and they used a hurting woman to do so.

And the Repubs wanted to secure the balance of conservatism on the Supreme Court and they potentially overlooked a hurting woman to do so.

And when the whole thing is done, Kavanagh potentially had his life ruined, his family potentially had their lives altered, and Ford is no further along in the process of healing than when she started. So who won?

politics. thats who won. and when politics is the only winner, everybody is a loser.
Friendly Face
10/10/18 3:59 pm

Post Re: Amazing Link
aprilmay2.0 wrote:
Sorry for the late post. I had Cof18 meetings and then I had to go protest(unsuccessfully) on the steps of the Supreme Court.

Were you one of the protestors against Kavanaugh? Did you get a chance to scream during the Senate confirmation, too?

Quote:

If you don't see an advantage to being white and male in this country then you're blind.

The very fact that your ancestors were ahead of minority ancestors- privilege
The very fact that women couldn't vote 100 years ago- privilege]

There are clearly some 'privleges' associated with being white--for many people-- in terms of building up generations of wealth. That applies more to whites who come from generations of wealthy families or just reasonably well off families.

The idea that you should not listen to someone who is white because of 'white privledge', though, is a form of racism. That's the type of thinking I am talking about.

And whites do have some privleges in some parts of the country if blacks tend to get pulled over more or go to jail more for the same crime. But 'privlege' is not the way to look at it. White's get treated normally, and blacks may be discriminated against. Not getting pulled over for no cause should be a base line, not a 'privlege.'

But as far as men and women go, and as far as the legal system and society in general these days go, women seem to have a lot of privleges. Not too long ago, there were women scholarships. The government, university funding, etc. goes to women's issues, women's health. Lots more money is spent on special programs for women's health than men's. Obama had a commission on women and girls, but none for men and boys. Women have a lot of privledge in a lot of ways. If there is a scholarship for women, is anyone going to protest. Imagine if the government were giving scholarships out just for young men, or just for young white men?

Look at the college admission rates for men v. women right now. Are women really at a disadvantage? Don't talk about 100 years ago. Look at right now. Is it good to have more women going to college than men.

Our culture and society can tolerate men getting a higher degree of education and making more money than women. Women generally want to marry men who make more money than themselves or at least as much, and would prefer not to marry a man who makes less. Men do not feel a need to 'marry up' nearly as often as women do in terms of economics, status, etc.

Women also have the babies. It is good for women to be able to take some time off to raise the kids. That works out a lot better if the men in society are making more money than the women than the other way around.

And the Bible supports some things we might label as 'male privlege.' If the wife submitting to the husband is 'male privlege' then that type of male privlege is a good thing, good for men, good for women, and good for the family.

In Isaiah 3:!2 there is a lamentation, "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they who lead you cause you to err, and destroy the way of your paths."

It is good for society to have men in leadership. Many young women looking for a husband would like to have a man who is in some kind of leadership role. Does that really do anything for a guy's attraction to a woman? I would say, in general, not so much. Some men may like it, especially men who are 'high status' themselves. But it seems to be a much bigger draw for women.

Quote:
The very fact that the pay gap between men and women exist- privilege

All but a few percentage points of the pay gap with a multivariate analysis can be explained by women's choices and other reasonable explanations besides descrimination. Women choose lower paying professions like teaching more than engineering. Men tend to have a wider distribution when it comes to IQ, with more men on both extremes. Women tend to be closer to the center. That means you end up with more male geniuses as well as more males with the lower IQs. More men end up being engineers than women.

Women also tend not to choose the construction jobs, collecting garbage, jobs that involve standing out in the rain and cold as much as men do. One study showed that salary did not steadily increase with hours per week worked. On average, there was a large spike for those who worked more than 44 hours per week. More men than women work the longer hours.

Women tend to be the ones to take off to raise the kids. If one person gives up the full-time job in a marriage, it tends to be the woman. The men stay in the workforce more. Women who become engineers in the UK are more likely to drop out of the profession, for example.

The legal system is now slanted against men, especially family law and the way it is carried out. Women have more rights than men. The pendulum has swung too far.

Quote:

The very fact that for years only men were valued in higher education- privilege

First of all, that was years ago. But if that was the case, so what. Gender role differentiation is not necessarily a bad thing.

Quote:

I could go on. Yes, some of you will say "My grand daddy was a poor share cropper from Mississippi so I didn't have a head start..." ignores the fact that your granddaddy also wasn't a slave.- privilege

Gender and freeman status are two issues--apples and oranges. Of course non-slaves generally had a lot of advantages over slaves.

Quote:

Also- NBF- we aren't animals. Thats the point exactly. Men and women are made in the image of God. So to suggest that they would be at war with each other and women should be physically stronger or get better weapons is absurd.

The feminist movement likes to promote the idea of animosity between the sexes, with women being the perpetual victims of 'the patriarchy.' Women can do anything that men can do, they say. But yet women always need the government to step in and level the playing field with men, and create equality of outcome, even if equality of opportunity pretty much already exists.

NBF may have had fallen sinful man in mind when he wrote that.
10/10/18 4:41 pm

Post Re: DC Dave Dorsey
aprilmay2.0 wrote:
Dave,

I didn't go to DC and Im not on the Cof18. I was joking to help stir the preverbial white male pot.

OK... so before I go on, could you let me know which if any other parts of your posts should not be taken at "face value"? Cool
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/11/18 6:33 am

Post Cojak
Speaking of male privilege. My wife interpreted for me when she had just heard a commercial by Democrat candidate for Senate here in NC. Saying his opponent is quoted as saying "Wives should submit themselves to their husbands." How much more anti woman can you be he asks?

He does not say the man was quoting scripture. Or that was 20 years ago in a Sunday School class. I did smile at how 'mean' he could make it sound. Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/11/18 9:33 pm

Post Link
I would be inclined to vote for the Sunday school teacher over the one who tried to make the Bible sound mean.
10/12/18 8:06 am

Post UncleJD
most of the diatribe against the "evil white men" are from deceived people who would accept Muslims with open arms. Wait until they find out how women are treated in those societies once they obtain political power. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
10/12/18 8:52 am

Post Risky behavior - being a "Good Samaritan." Mat
No need to cover the details of the "Good Samaritan" in the Bible. However, in our changing cultural environment, being a "Good Samaritan" opens the door to issues which could be damaging to a man's reputation, and could even cause him to encounter legal issues. This is especially true when the situation involves women and children.

See a problem, call 911 and report it.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
10/12/18 9:28 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic