Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Male Privilege, Historically
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Male Privilege, Historically Link
One of our posters mentioned something about male privilege in another post.

I'm thinking about the male privilege our forebearers experienced:

Men have had the 'male privilege' of being drafted and sent off to war to die young.

Men have had the 'male privilege' of sinking in the boat while the woman and children get rowed away in the liveboats.

Men have the 'male pivilege' of being the garbage men, fishermen, and other dirty, dangerous, or undesireable jobs.

There are some things that might be considered 'male privilege' that are actually Biblical. Wives are supposed to submit to their husbands. Men have the responsibility to love their wives as Christ loved the church, and will be held responsible for how they lead their families. Maybe that leadership role is 'privilege', but if so, it is a Biblical, God-ordained privilege. So I don't know why any Christians would be categorically against 'male privilege.'

Nowadays, 'male privilege' means women can go on about how bad they think men are, but if a man says the same sort of thing about women, he is considered to be sexist.
9/30/18 10:42 pm

Post FLRon
Welcome to life where Biblical principles have been replaced by the court of public opinion. I doubt any of us can fathom just how far this NWO will drag us into the depths of despair, but we’re for sure gonna find out.
9/30/18 10:55 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Who mentioned "male privilege"? [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/1/18 3:55 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
krista
10/1/18 6:54 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
krista

Okay. I wanted to make sure Link hadn't read my reference to "white privilege" and transposed it into male privilege in his head.

I go to a conservative complementarian church, I would not be OK with someone suggesting I'm not a charter member of the patriarchy. Very Happy
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/1/18 7:07 am

Post As an old (63) white conservative (Christian) man ... Mat
As an old (63) white conservative (Christian) man I do feel under attack as of late. I find I no longer enjoy watching news, sports and entertainment on TV, as it is "open season" on who I am and what I believe. When it comes to politics, religion and race issues my views are discounted as being raciest and misogyny. It is discouraging, as now I am told that the only reason I had a ministry was that I was male and have privilege.

But alas, here's a liberating thought, I an going to enter a season of "rehabilitation" in which I reconsider my values. If I stop feeling so strongly about issues like abortion, being patriotic, supporting marriage between a man and a women (LBGTQ...), supporting Israel, being a committed non-drinker (there may be some drugs that help to rehab my mind) and all that other stuff I was in bondage to, I might be much happier. In the end, that is what its all about, being happy.

I may even "self-identify" as something else - Jewish, Native-American, Asian, etc. - whatever benefits me. Truth is, I've always wanted to wear a Kilt, as I have thought it would be cool, comfortable and show off my legs.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
10/1/18 8:11 am

Post Re: As an old (63) white conservative (Christian) man ... Cojak
Mat wrote:
.... In the end, that is what its all about, being happy.

I may even "self-identify" as something else - Jewish, Native-American, Asian, etc. - whatever benefits me. Truth is, I've always wanted to wear a Kilt, as I have thought it would be cool, comfortable and show off my legs.

Mat

I was with you my man until you brought the legs thang into play. But, but if it makes you happy!............... Embarassed Embarassed Smile Smile Smile Smile Wink
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/1/18 3:33 pm

Post Cojak
To the op....
I find myself in contradiction to much of today's ideas from the 'minority' groups. I strain to find common ground. I cannot seem to force my mind to put male, female, LGQ--- into all roles.

i.e. from our raising some male might put his life unnecessarily in harms way in combat for a female (wrong or right). Common sense shows men are fit more for the physically demanding jobs digging ditches in North Carolina or Georgia clay (Ladies would do good in Florida),lifting and laying block, etc.

BUT I am out of touch, but maybe they have invented Styrofoam blocks. I am for humans doing the jobs and filling positions they can DO not because of sex , gender, or what ever else the modern world comes up with.
Telling someone they can lift 85 pounds over their head is not the same as doing it. We are built different!
Now I will shut up! After typing all this I am still gonna post it. That is my privilege (thanks to Doyle)
10/1/18 3:45 pm

Post Different jobs over the years Mat
Cojak wrote:
To the op....
I find myself in contradiction to much of today's ideas from the 'minority' groups. I strain to find common ground. I cannot seem to force my mind to put male, female, LGQ--- into all roles.

i.e. from our raising some male might put his life unnecessarily in harms way in combat for a female (wrong or right). Common sense shows men are fit more for the physically demanding jobs digging ditches in North Carolina or Georgia clay (Ladies would do good in Florida),lifting and laying block, etc.

BUT I am out of touch, but maybe they have invented Styrofoam blocks. I am for humans doing the jobs and filling positions they can DO not because of sex , gender, or what ever else the modern world comes up with.
Telling someone they can lift 85 pounds over their head is not the same as doing it. We are built different!
Now I will shut up! After typing all this I am still gonna post it. That is my privilege (thanks to Doyle)

I worked in a auto plant when my wife and I got married - we stamped out bumpers and plated them - heavy, hard and dirty work, but it was UAW and paid well. Over the years I have worked at places like Mallory Battery in Cleveland (before they were Duracell), where there were many women working, but not the heavy lifting jobs. I worked at Roadway as a dock worker, no women there, but great Teamster pay. Other jobs, such as dry wall and tree trimming (was was the ground man pulling brush) have all been part of my younger days. No women in those jobs.

I cannot overlook the requirements of going through boot camp at MCRD San Diego, and if I had been a grunt (which I was not by I did go through Infantry School), I don't think I would see a women carrying the sixty cal or the radio.

But now I am old, and can not preform those duties. If I were to work outside of the ministry I would most-likely have to compete with women for the jobs. You see Cojak, that's where the Kilt could help Shocked Shocked Shocked .

In truth, if men and women are equal, then all requirements for any job, including dress codes, must not vary between the two. All must be equal - and let the best man win Very Happy .

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
10/1/18 4:38 pm

Post diakoneo
Quote:
I've always wanted to wear a Kilt, as I have thought it would be cool, comfortable and show off my legs.

Mat

Aye Smile
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
10/1/18 4:53 pm

Post Cojak
diakoneo wrote:
Quote:
I've always wanted to wear a Kilt, as I have thought it would be cool, comfortable and show off my legs.

Mat

Aye Smile

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
10/1/18 8:44 pm

Post UncleJD
I miss Bonnie Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
10/2/18 11:29 am

Post It's bad ... Mat
UncleJD wrote:
I miss Bonnie

It's bad when a male poster proposes to wear a Kilt in an effort for gender equality and there is no one (no woman) to suggest he is missing the point. I'm a little disappointed that Cojak was not interested me having the freedom to show off my legs Sad .

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
10/2/18 6:18 pm

Post Re: It's bad ... Cojak
Mat wrote:
UncleJD wrote:
I miss Bonnie

It's bad when a male poster proposes to wear a Kilt in an effort for gender equality and there is no one (no woman) to suggest he is missing the point. I'm a little disappointed that Cojak was not interested me having the freedom to show off my legs Sad .

Mat

I was picturing a Jar Head in combat boots and a Kilt and I palmed my face! Embarassed

And YES JD, I miss Bonnie too! At times she would wade in where men fear o trod! Wink
10/2/18 6:56 pm

Post Link
How's this for a response to someone bringing up 'male privilege'?

Well, I consider it a privilege to be a man. If you do not consider it a privilege to be a woman, you probably just have low self-esteem.
10/3/18 4:13 pm

Post What my white male privilege has gotten me....listed below... caseyleejones
My male privilege has gotten me the following....

1) Getting up every morning and faithfully going to work

2) Choosing to live within my means and saying no to things I cannot afford including going out to eat....

3) has disqualified me from most financial aid ...

4) get a second job to help provide for my family...
Acts-perienced Poster
10/7/18 2:26 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Origin of male privilege in the world for the last 6000 years...

Might makes right.

Men dominate women because they are stronger. This is human nature.

Only a Christian worldview humbly submits when they don't have to. That is the only way that men and women are equal - until the women become stronger than men - or get better weapons - or something - to give them the advantage over men - that physically they do not enjoy.

Lions are "King of the Jungle" - why? Exactly.

Might makes right. If we are animals - as we are taught at school - then this is the only order there is.
10/8/18 11:18 am

Post Amazing aprilmay2.0
Sorry for the late post. I had Cof18 meetings and then I had to go protest(unsuccessfully) on the steps of the Supreme Court.

If you don't see an advantage to being white and male in this country then you're blind.

The very fact that your ancestors were ahead of minority ancestors- privilege
The very fact that women couldn't vote 100 years ago- privilege
The very fact that the pay gap between men and women exist- privilege
The very fact that for years only men were valued in higher education- privilege

I could go on. Yes, some of you will say "My grand daddy was a poor share cropper from Mississippi so I didn't have a head start..." ignores the fact that your granddaddy also wasn't a slave.- privilege

Also- NBF- we aren't animals. Thats the point exactly. Men and women are made in the image of God. So to suggest that they would be at war with each other and women should be physically stronger or get better weapons is absurd. God created both in His image. Not to war with each other, but to serve each other. Feel sorry for your wife -unless she has developed better weapons.
Friendly Face
10/9/18 3:16 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Sorry aprilmay - the worldview of the Christian is not the prevailing one in the US right now.

We behave like animals. We kill the unborn for convenience. Why - because we can.

Men dominate women - why - because they can.

Men dominate others - make them their slaves. Why - because they can.

Only the Holy Spirit restrains folks at this current time. When it is taken out of the way - whoa nelly. Only an appeal to morality and the Bible freed the slaves - led to voting rights. Take Christianity out of the way - you get Iraq - you get Libya.

Go see how your arguments of white male privilege work there.
10/9/18 3:24 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
aprilmay, I wish you didn't have such a storied history of trolling on this forum. I'd love to take your post (some of which I agree with) at face value and have an exchange of ideas about it with you. But I have no way of knowing whether or not I'd be the only sincere person in the discussion. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/9/18 3:37 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic