Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

MUCH needed statement from Dr. Tim Hill

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post MUCH needed statement from Dr. Tim Hill Judah4Him
The Use and Abuse of “Replica” Church of God Social Media Sites

The following is a statement from Church of God General Overseer Dr. Timothy M. Hill:

Unfortunately, as a leader, there are times that assuming a defensive posture against the intentionally deceptive tactics of some becomes necessary. The unrestrained and ungoverned establishment of various social media accounts that use the church’s official and registered name – “Church of God” – often draw in unsuspecting and innocent participants, thinking they are joining something originating with, or at least endorsed by, the Church of God International Offices.

Granted, there are some honorably established social media sites established for the sharing of prayer requests, common history, benevolent causes and other good reasons. However, these sites, though unofficially associated with the Church of God, identify themselves in a proper way and make it clear that they are not representative of the denomination in creation and/or content.
On the other hand, there currently exist a few social media outlets that seem to identify themselves as being official Church of God sites, intentionally attempting to take on the appearance of being created and maintained by the denomination.

Repeatedly, I have been brought in on discussion after discussion where the content used on these sites was quoted and considered valid, simply because the quoting individual read it on what was thought to be something created and approved by the Church of God. Sadly, some of these sites have been created and are managed by individuals who have absolutely no honorable intent toward the Church of God, its ministers or its members.

Recently, the unwise use of a few of these sites has created legal ramifications that were brought to our attention. In each case, we (Church of God International Offices) had to strongly denounce the sites as being blatantly deceptive and unofficial, and further we had to clearly state that we assumed no liability or responsibility for the content on the site whatsoever.

Without listing examples of content and identifying individuals who are responsible for the offending sites, allow me to simply state that the only media sources officially generated and endorsed by the Church of God International Offices are the following:

www.churchofgod.org

Facebook and Twitter Accounts:
@COGHQ

News Outlet:
www.faithnews.cc

Further, every department and ministry in the Church of God International Offices creates their own social media accounts. These accounts are reviewed for content and then appropriately approved.

While I maintain personal social media sites for the purpose of sharing family news, personal ministry events, and product promotion, it should be noted that my personal social media sites are not to be considered as official outlets of the Church of God International Offices either.

I certainly realize that minimizing this kind of activity is near to impossible in today’s technologically driven culture. However, I do encourage everyone to be alert to the existence of these “replica” sites and to use extreme caution before placing stock in content that comes from unofficial sources. Generally, the information is anything but official, and it is being disseminated only for the creator’s own inappropriate purposes. So take caution.

Tim Hill
Friendly Face
9/11/18 3:13 pm

Post Good statement ... Mat
Good statement, but now I must admit, I wonder which sites he is referring to (?).

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
9/11/18 4:18 pm

Post Judah4Him
Ha!! I don't think Acts-Celerate is the target on this one. I think it's Facebook...and I have a feeling which one in particular. Pure hatred and malice spewed on there daily. Friendly Face
9/11/18 4:34 pm

Post They say ... Mat
Judah4Him wrote:
Ha!! I don't think Acts-Celerate is the target on this one. I think it's Facebook...and I have a feeling which one in particular. Pure hatred and malice spewed on there daily.

They say, "the brighter the light the more bugs you get," or is it "the moth to the flame?" Well, either way, there are evil spirits that want to be heard.

By the way, when I write its "truth to power." At least that's what I tell the voice inside my head.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
9/11/18 4:45 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Judah4Him wrote:
Ha!! I don't think Acts-Celerate is the target on this one. I think it's Facebook...and I have a feeling which one in particular. Pure hatred and malice spewed on there daily.

You mean a particular "page"? Laughing Laughing
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/11/18 7:08 pm

Post Judah4Him
Haha!!! Yes!! And what an annoying "Page" it is to so many. 😂😂 Friendly Face
9/11/18 10:37 pm

Post US MALE
I joined a COG group on facebook a short time ago. After reading the posts over the course of a week or so, decided to leave the group as it basically revolved around disgruntled (apparently former) members. I found nothing edifying there, or even thought-provoking. It's fine with me if folks want to debate a subject, or disagree on a particular topic. However, I got no time for a forum that just wants to spew bitterness, and find fault... no thanks. I'm a bit curious as to which site(s) was being alluded to myself. I also agree that Act-Celerate was not a target.
9/13/18 12:15 am

Post Brandon Bowers
I found the "PAGE" then realized I couldn't view all the content because I have the administrator blocked because of his disgruntled content. I didn't want him having any connection or access to my FB.

I don't know how the COG whizzed in his Cheerios, but dude needs a chill pill.

You know it's bad when the GO has to address it. I don't think they ever officially did that regarding Acts, did they??
9/13/18 9:06 pm

Post Judah4Him
He's a piece of work. I think a main difference is Acts doesn't try to come across as an official voice or representation of the COG. The name of that "page" is quite deceptive. Friendly Face
9/14/18 2:05 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic