Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Lord's Supper question

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Lord's Supper question Nature Boy Florida
This is from another thread that didn't specifically deal with the Lord's Supper, so I am making a new thread.

The question dealt with: Who is eligible to partake? Should the pastor exclude those in open sin?

Quote:
27 Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty concerning the body and blood of the Lord. 28 Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment on himself. 30 That is why many of you are weak and ill, and some have died.[d] 31 But if we judged[e] ourselves truly, we would not be judged. 32 But when we are judged by the Lord, we are disciplined[f] so that we may not be condemned along with the world.

How do you partake in an unworthy manner?
If it is due to a personal sin - would any of us be worthy?
Or You could believe like some hyper grace folks - and believe "I'm ok, you're ok" salvation so you are always worthy.

But isn't this question directed towards Christians? indicating perhaps they might eat and drink unworthily.

What exactly is unworthily? The folks themselves or their attitude, their belief regarding the blood and body - somehow they deem it to be unworthy of their ___________?

I'm not sure what to fill that blank in with - Reverence - because they don't understand it's Power?

What do these verses really mean?
9/11/18 12:36 pm

Post Cojak
I think one has to let each participant search their own hearts. Usually the pastor gives that admonishment. At that time I think many have talked to the Lord and 'fixed' many a problem. At least that is my hope. (from the pew not the pulpit)
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/11/18 9:39 pm

Post The Body of Christ FG Minister
The context of the verses tells us what it means to eat in an unworthy manner. We sin if we don’t “discern the body” in verse 29.

1 Corinthians 11:20-30 (ESV)
20 When you come together, it is not the Lord’s supper that you eat.
21 For in eating, each one goes ahead with his own meal. One goes hungry, another gets drunk.
22 What! Do you not have houses to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and humiliate those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I commend you in this? No, I will not.
23 For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread,
24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, “This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.”
25 In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.”
26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.
27 Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty concerning the body and blood of the Lord.
28 Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup.
29 For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment on himself.
30 That is why many of you are weak and ill, and some have died.

Not discerning the body of Christ. Who/what is the body of Christ? The church. Paul mentions that people in Corinth were contentious and there were divisions among them. He also mentions people getting drunk in v. 21. Paul then says in verse 22, "Do you not have houses in which to eat and drink? Or do you despise the church of God and shame those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you? In this I will not praise you."

Some of the wealthy members were eating and drinking their fill while the poor were neglected. Yet all were in the Body of Christ. It seems most probable that Paul is telling people to examine themselves to make sure there is no dissension with other believers, to take the supper solemnly. They were to rightly understand that it represents the sacrifice of Christ. You can’t act holy and righteous when you have been looking down on the less fortunate at the communion meal, not sharing your blessings, and in effect, dividing the Body of Christ. 29 For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment on himself. He’s talking about horizontal relationships in my humble opinion. Get those fixed, then you can have communion.
Acts-celerater
9/13/18 12:59 pm

Post Da Sheik
FGM nailed it. Almost the entirety of the letter is devoted to their divisions, which was an indicator of their carnality. Acts Enthusiast
9/14/18 4:19 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic