Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

A disappointment concerning Actscelerate
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post A disappointment concerning Actscelerate Eddie Robbins
I remember the good old days of Actscelerate. This place was a pioneer in social media. It was a really fun place to come discuss issues and make friends, some of whom have become good friends. I miss the old Actscelerate but like church, we ain’t going back. Here is my biggest disappointment concerning this place now. It has moved from discussing our lives, church, Church of God issues, a little sports and fun to politics. It gets old seeing so many political posts. I administrate 2 groups on Facebook. My number one rule is “no politics.” I wish there were a way to, at least, limit it here. I’m afraid it has run many people off. Just my 2 cents. Acts-pert Poster
9/7/18 7:51 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
There is too much politics right now on Acts - I agree there.

But this place has always discussed it to some degree - and it is also a reflection of our current lives - forces have successfully driven us into 2 political camps - neither side willing to back down anymore - always trying to score points on the other side - more than I ever remember.

I believe if you analyze this 40 years from now - you will see that the "Russians" meddled in our social media more that our elections - and divided us that way.
9/7/18 8:03 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Partisan politics has also invaded the church more deeply than ever before, at least in the US, which explains why it appears more here than it used to.

I think it's an appropriate topic here. With that said, I agree that there's too much of it currently. I'm just not sure how we would go about addressing that.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/7/18 8:06 am

Post Resident Skeptic
Until this week, my participation on this sight had greatly declined. However, I still monitored the board weekly. I have observed very little political discussions (very little discussion on ANYTHING, frankly) for months. Suddenly, tumultuous events in Washington spark concern and discussion for the first time in a long time, and you guys start complaining? I don't get it.

Face it. It's probably going to take more political discussion and serious doctrinal debate to keep interest in Actscelerate. But those types of topics were frowned upon. I think this has been a serious contributor to the obvious decline in traffic to this sight. You can't debate tithing. You can't debate the trinity, etc . Good luck with these narrow parameters, friends.
9/7/18 8:29 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Who said you can't debate tithing, etc?

Discussing the Trinity is also fine here, and a lot of that has occurred over the years. We're a little sensitive about people wanting to deny the doctrine of the Trinity in the same way we'd be sensitive about people wanting to deny the humanity or deity of Christ, but discussion of the particulars is in order.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/7/18 8:32 am

Post Resident Skeptic
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Who said you can't debate tithing, etc?

Discussing the Trinity is also fine here, and a lot of that has occurred over the years. We're a little sensitive about people wanting to deny the doctrine of the Trinity in the same way we'd be sensitive about people wanting to deny the humanity or deity of Christ, but discussion of the particulars is in order.

The discussions on such topics would get banned or moved to some obscure corner of the board in hopes that people would lose interest. And nobody ever denied the deity of Christ or distinctions within God's being. What exactly those distinctions are was what was being questioned.
9/7/18 8:34 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Dude, there's literally an entire subforum dedicated to the topic - http://www.actscelerate.com/viewforum.php?f=11

Many of the "Featured Presentations" center around the topic - http://www.actscelerate.com/viewforum.php?f=9

Many of the "Hot Discussions" center around the topic - http://www.actscelerate.com/viewforum.php?f=6

You're off base on this one.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/7/18 8:41 am

Post Cojak
I haven't been here as long as a lot of guys, I have enjoyed the give and take even when I was considered a liberal and proponent of abortion. That said, I have noticed many people when the ball doesn't stay in their court, they want to take their points and leave. We all have that right.

Yes, Acts has dropped in active members and I do hate that. Most of all I miss some that were banned, they added some unique twists here.

I consider not commenting, but I stick around because some of the best are left here and I enjoy their perspective. Like the fall of attendance here our churches are dropping and the 'congregational or Community' churches are growing by leaps and bounds around the NC area and where we are in Florida. I would like to know what would spur more discussions here and what it would take to fill the 90% of empty seats at our church.

Politics? Yeah it is frustrating but that is prominent in the news...... Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/7/18 9:18 am

Post OK, perhaps all the politics ... Mat
OK, perhaps the politics are increasing because the demonic spirits of the world are in a last ditch fight to divide, distracted and disable the Church from its calling to proclaim the full Gospel of Jesus Christ. There is no salvation in any political party or elected official, yet more and more we are giving our allegiance to them as if they were the "answer."

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
9/7/18 9:43 am

Post Re: OK, perhaps all the politics ... Dave Dorsey
Mat wrote:
There is no salvation in any political party or elected official, yet more and more we are giving our allegiance to them as if they were the "answer."

Preach, preach, preach, and then preach it again.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/7/18 9:57 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Guys, Our African American Christian brothers are all in with the Democrats - virtually no Republicans.

Isn't that a problem? How do we solve that?

I don't think letting politicians do as they wish is the answer - which goes back to the problem Jerry Falwell saw 45 years ago - when he felt there was a Moral Majority that could stem the tide.

The tide did not stop.

Morality continues to become non-existent.

What is the answer?
I surely don't know how to save America.
Perhaps it isn't God's will to save America.
9/7/18 10:56 am

Post Eddie Robbins
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Guys, Our African American Christian brothers are all in with the Democrats - virtually no Republicans.

I don't think letting politicians do as they wish is the answer - which goes back to the problem Jerry Falwell saw 45 years ago - when he felt there was a Moral Majority that could stem the tide.

The tide did not stop.

What is the answer?

Part of the problem is wasting time trying to save America. We need to save souls. America will burn one day and what does it profit us to waste time trying to force a government to bow to our form of morality and lose souls? If we stop every abortion, every homosexual, every murderer, every illegal, etc but don’t save souls, did we win?
Acts-pert Poster
9/7/18 12:58 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Eddie Robbins wrote:

The tide did not stop.

What is the answer?

Part of the problem is wasting time trying to save America. We need to save souls. America will burn one day and what does it profit us to waste time trying to force a government to bow to our form of morality and lose souls? If we stop every abortion, every homosexual, every murderer, every illegal, etc but don’t save souls, did we win?

Looks like we disagree.
God put me in America. I believe it has served a purpose as a moral force against the Hitler's of the world. It has been a terror to evil around the world.
I believe it is a safe haven for Christians - in a world that frequently slaughters Christians around the world.
I believe the finances generated have built churches, orphanages, Bible training schools around the world - furthering the gospel - saving countless millions to Christ.
I believe it is worth spending my time and resources to save.
9/7/18 3:10 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Eddie Robbins wrote:

The tide did not stop.

What is the answer?

Looks like we disagree.
God put me in America. I believe it has served a purpose as a moral force against the Hitler's of the world. It has been a terror to evil around the world.
I believe it is a safe haven for Christians - in a world that frequently slaughters Christians around the world.
I believe the finances generated have built churches, orphanages, Bible training schools around the world - furthering the gospel - saving countless millions to Christ.
I believe it is worth spending my time and resources to save.

Amen. We are a very young nation. God is not finished with this country.
9/7/18 3:40 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
That’s fine. I’ll never apologize for putting people and their souls ahead of a government. His kingdom is not of this world. Acts-pert Poster
9/7/18 4:06 pm

Post Change Agent
Too much conversation even on Christian subjects can get you banned here. Lots of grace for instance is not allowed. Politics seems to be the safe subject here. If Trump says it we can repeat it. Rolling Eyes Acts Enthusiast
9/7/18 4:42 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Eddie Robbins wrote:
That’s fine. I’ll never apologize for putting people and their souls ahead of a government. His kingdom is not of this world.

So one using some of his energy and time to save the country constitutes putting government ahead of people and their souls, or trying to make Christ's kingdom of this world?
9/7/18 5:55 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Resident Skeptic wrote:
So one using some of his energy and time to save the country constitutes putting government ahead of people and their souls, or trying to make Christ's kingdom of this world?

Dunno, would you take up arms against a fellow believer if you felt that person was a member of the "Deep State"?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/7/18 5:58 pm

Post UncleJD
I think many of the "theological" debaters that have left over the years have said it was because Actscelerate wasn't holy enough for them or they were turned off because everyone was either too theologically liberal, too theologically conservative, too WOF, not WOF enough, or whatever. I don't recall many people at all leave over political discussion (present company excluded). I think, for my part, I'm just as willing to engage in theological or ministry discussion as I am in political discussion. I also feel that my theology and faith greatly inform my political views (as I'm sure most of us do). I honestly think that politics is one of the only things left that we will discuss here because we've grown so small and mostly homogeneous on other topics. All that said, I certainly would like more non-political discussion, so ... "what ya got?" Smile Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
9/7/18 6:44 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
That’s fine. I’ll never apologize for putting people and their souls ahead of a government. His kingdom is not of this world.

Absolutely not. In fact, it is good for us to be good citizens and servants of the country. I am taking about those who would rather change the people through legislation rather than through their hearts with an eternal benefit. Again, what does it profit us if every legislation goes our way and the US becomes a wealthy nation but we lose souls? That’s all I’m saying. It’s priorities. The perception is this is not the case right now.
Acts-pert Poster
9/7/18 9:06 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic