Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Pastor suffering from depression loses his war within L

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Pastor suffering from depression loses his war within L Rafael D Martinez
Please pray for the wife and three young sons of Pastor Andrew Stoecklein of Inland Hills Church (Chino, Ca) who tragically took his own life this past weekend. This hurt when I read of this ..

https://www.christianpost.com/news/inland-hills-pastor-andrew-stoecklein-takes-life-after-battle-with-depression-anxiety-227028/

He struggled valiantly with depression and had just come back from a sabbatical and preached this message ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=440&v=cVBe4z2QSRM

There's never been a time when the church needs to rally more in serious prayer for its pastors and relationships.

Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth? Galatians 4:16

These are trying times. Everyone's trying something and getting caught. The Church Lady, 1987
Acts-dicted
8/27/18 1:42 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
He took a sabbatical.
He labeled his problem for what it was - even preached about 5 days before his suicide.
And - it still wasn't enough.

Sad.
8/27/18 2:19 pm

Post georgiapath
That happened here a few years ago. Acts-dicted
8/27/18 6:35 pm

Post Cojak
Thanks Raf. I have been praying, thinking about sending money to our church for our pastor. He is a wonderful guy but I want to start a 'sabbatical fund'. It didn't work for this pastor, but I still believe it can HELP!

This is such an important thing, handling depression. Our prayers for the family!
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/27/18 11:08 pm

Post sheepdogandy
georgiapath wrote:
That happened here a few years ago.

I remember in Cedartown I believe.

Large Congregation, TV exposure, etc...

Sad indeed.

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
8/28/18 5:27 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I can’t begin to imagine the kind of grief his wife and kids are going through. His church too.

I know from personal experience exactly what it’s like to suffer depression and even what it’s like to have suicidal thoughts at times, many years ago.

While I am definitely in favor of appropriate medication and counseling, I also believe that every time someone kills himself, he was clearly not listening to the Spirit of LIFE in Christ Jesus, but instead hearkened to the voice of the Enemy.

It always concerns me when anyone confidently asserts that one who killed himself is now in Heaven. Perhaps they are, but to confidently assume they are, to my mind, can only encourage others to consider throwing their life away when they feel they are at rock bottom. I mean, what depressed person wouldn’t want to go to a place of perfect peace, hope and love if they knew suicide would take them there immediately?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/28/18 7:30 pm

Post FLRon
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
I can’t begin to imagine the kind of grief his wife and kids are going through. His church too.

I know from personal experience exactly what it’s like to suffer depression and even what it’s like to have suicidal thoughts at times, many years ago.

While I am definitely in favor of appropriate medication and counseling, I also believe that every time someone kills himself, he was clearly not listening to the Spirit of LIFE in Christ Jesus, but instead hearkened to the voice of the Enemy.

It always concerns me when anyone confidently asserts that one who killed himself is now in Heaven. Perhaps they are, but to confidently assume they are, to my mind, can only encourage others to consider throwing their life away when they feel they are at rock bottom. I mean, what depressed person wouldn’t want to go to a place of perfect peace, hope and love if they knew suicide would take them there immediately?

I too have been through periods when I seriously contemplated suicide. Both times it came down to how could I leave my children with such a burden. I decided that either I would climb out of it with God's help or die trying.
Ministers, especially pastor's,are indoctrinated into a belief that to step aside equals failure. We all know that is false, yet how many of us have stayed in the pulpit when we knew we should have walked away?
9/3/18 4:04 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic