Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate
Browse by what's: hot | new | rising | top of the week

Can I get a "word" from somebody
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Can I get a "word" from somebody Ernie Long
When I was Pastoring, people would call me and tell me God had given them a word for me, but since I resigned from my church a year ago, I haven't had anyone call me with a word.

I guess God doesn't give you a word unless you're Pastoring. Sad
Acts Enthusiast
8/22/18 10:31 am

Post Eddie Robbins
The only “word” I accept from anyone is a word of confirmation. Acts-pert Poster
8/22/18 11:05 am

Post Re: Can I get a "word" from somebody FLRon
Ernie Long wrote:
When I was Pastoring, people would call me and tell me God had given them a word for me, but since I resigned from my church a year ago, I haven't had anyone call me with a word.

Praise God that he's given us a book filled with enough "words" to last a lifetime. As to those "other words"...smh.
8/22/18 11:53 am

Post Da Sheik
I don't say this to be patronizing or condescending in any way whatsoever:

I urge you first and foremost to sit down with the Lord with an open heart and an open bible. Ask Him to make the Word come alive to you. I have been in the ministry many years and every so often I catch myself reading the bible simply so that I will have a text to preach from. In those times, I have to remind myself to get in His presence, and allow Him to speak a word into my life. Without fail, when I make that a priority, He always speaks to me. I'm experiencing a personal renewal in my own bible study and prayer time so that's why I feel led to say this to you. It's nothing you don't already know, but sometimes a reminder is good.

I would also encourage you to be intentional about becoming friends with other pastors. It seems especially bad in the COG, but really the principle applies in any scenario that when you are "out of sight" you are also "out of mind". For a pastor, it's very difficult because we already have one of the loneliest jobs in the world according to statistics I read. I have mentioned this times before but some of my best pastor friends are outside the COG. I met them through a ministerial alliance in my city.
Acts Enthusiast
8/22/18 2:30 pm

Post Re: Can I get a "word" from somebody Ernie Long
FLRon wrote:
As to those "other words"...smh.

This is what I'm talking about. I never paid much attention when people would tell me that God had given them a word for me. I always figured that unless the "word" people gave me lined up with what God was speaking to me, that it was them trying to come across as being "super spiritual".

I have had a few people that spoke to me things that were going on in my life that no one else knew anything about and when they spoke, I listened.

I apologize for the title to be somewhat misleading, cause I'm not really looking for a word, unless God has told you the winning Powerball numbers, then I'm all ears. Laughing
Acts Enthusiast
8/22/18 5:31 pm

Post Cojak
Da Sheik wrote:
I don't say this to be patronizing or condescending in any way whatsoever:

I urge you first and foremost to sit down with the Lord with an open heart and an open bible. Ask Him to make the Word come alive to you. I have been in the ministry many years and every so often I catch myself reading the bible simply so that I will have a text to preach from. In those times, I have to remind myself to get in His presence, and allow Him to speak a word into my life. Without fail, when I make that a priority, He always speaks to me. I'm experiencing a personal renewal in my own bible study and prayer time so that's why I feel led to say this to you. It's nothing you don't already know, but sometimes a reminder is good.

I would also encourage you to be intentional about becoming friends with other pastors. It seems especially bad in the COG, but really the principle applies in any scenario that when you are "out of sight" you are also "out of mind". For a pastor, it's very difficult because we already have one of the loneliest jobs in the world according to statistics I read. I have mentioned this times before but some of my best pastor friends are outside the COG. I met them through a ministerial alliance in my city.

Not much else to say, that is in a serious vein! Idea Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/22/18 10:21 pm

Post Cojak
This 'having a word for you' must be something after 1965. I had never heard of it in years previous. I never heard my dad say that nor anything close in his 50 dedicated years of pastoring.

I never heard of it as I pastored a few short years.

Not saying it is wrong, just wondering why I never heard the statement from some of the most Godly men I have known personally, WAde Horton, Bill Sheeks, SA Lankford, Bro. Sandsbury, Fred Brannen, QJ Cox, Ray Collins etc. Maybe it was there under another 'trademark or name' I don't know.

Of course I never heard of Prophets in the church (by that name) until recently either. Confused Confused Confused
8/22/18 10:30 pm

Post philunderwood
Here you go....
TODAY'S WORD:
The Father says today, My kingdom is motion activated. It does not come with observation or passive expectation. Waiting and waiting for things to get better without corresponding action has nothing to do with the patience of the saints. I have called you to patient continuance in well DOING. Don't fall for the lie that you are waiting on God on the sidelines of life as though somehow, someway the landscape of your circumstance will magically change. You must take action, and in taking action, I will come behind you like the wind in your wings to bless your efforts.

Are you ready for change? Are you prepared for circumstances to shift? I am speaking, and I am instructing. The next thing is for you to take action. You have cried out "oh God, enlarge my steps!" I say to you that enlargement of step only comes when you commit to the point of no return. Faith is what pleases Me and faith without action is not faith at all, it is just wishful thinking. I call you out of the religious fantasy land of wishful thinking into the path of progress where things change, and transformation becomes a reality. It begins with that first step as you do what you can with what you have and stick with it. I will meet you and make Myself known to you and turn your feeble efforts into manifest breakthrough. Begin NOW.

Request a Prophetic Word
God has a Voice. He will Not Leave You without Answers For Your Life!
Use the form below to request a personal prophecy over your life or your loved one. We will respond to you via return e-mail.

Who is the prophet in your life? 2 Chronicles 20:20 says “Believe the Lord your God so shall you be established: BELIEVE THE PROPHETS so shall you PROSPER.” Just as you need a pastor you need the prophetic to bring you to fresh breakthrough and blessing.

The Father says “I have the ANSWER what is the QUESTION?”
It is our privilege to minister in your behalf. For 30 years Prophets Russ and Kitty Walden have prophesied (1 Co. 14:3; 12:28; 1 Ti. 1:1Cool to thousands who needed to know the voice of God in their situation. Visit the feedback link above to set your own expectations for personal breakthrough. To request a prophetic word for yourself or a loved one fill out the form below. Our prophetic team will go to the Father in your behalf and send our response to the e-mail you provide.

REQUEST YOUR PROPHETIC WORD/

Discover More...
http://www.refocusing.org

A Mission in Formation
www.bluewaterinthekeys.com
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
8/23/18 10:52 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Phil,
I would rather have a prophetic word from you than this guy.
NBF
8/23/18 10:57 am

Post sheepdogandy
Baloney!

I've had these "prophets" speak over me. (not the ones advertised above)

Every one was a dud.

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
8/23/18 10:58 am

Post philunderwood
Verily, I saith, God have mercy on your lizards.

Discover More...
http://www.refocusing.org

A Mission in Formation
www.bluewaterinthekeys.com
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
8/23/18 11:06 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Cojak,

It seems to be primarily a product of the Charismatic Movement, and became especially widespread amongst charismatics in the 1970s and 1980s. For a couple of years in the 1990s, I was a part of a nondenominational Charismatic Church, in which these purported ‘personal words from the Lord’ were very common. My background previous to that was AG and CoG, and while we definitely had tongues, interpretations, prophecies, and even words of knowledge manifest fairly often in the AG and CoG churches in which I grew up in the 1970s and 1980s, my observation is that the charismatics took the concept to a whole new level.

Cojak wrote:
This 'having a word for you' must be something after 1965. I had never heard of it in years previous. I never heard my dad say that nor anything close in his 50 dedicated years of pastoring.

I never heard of it as I pastored a few short years.

Not saying it is wrong, just wondering why I never heard the statement from some of the most Godly men I have known personally, WAde Horton, Bill Sheeks, SA Lankford, Bro. Sandsbury, Fred Brannen, QJ Cox, Ray Collins etc. Maybe it was there under another 'trademark or name' I don't know.

Of course I never heard of Prophets in the church (by that name) until recently either. :? :? :?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/23/18 11:31 am

Post Eddie Robbins
If you want a “Word,” read the Word. Acts-pert Poster
8/24/18 8:06 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
So it's not biblical?

Acts 21:8-12

8 And the next day we that were of Paul's company departed , and came unto Caesarea: and we entered into the house of Philip the evangelist, which was one of the seven; and abode with him.
9 And the same man had four daughters, virgins, which did prophesy .
10 And as we tarried there many days, there came down from Judaea a certain prophet, named Agabus.
11 And when he was come unto us *, he took Paul's girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said , Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.
12 And when we heard these things, both we, and they of that place, besought him not to go up to Jerusalem.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
8/24/18 8:58 pm

Post Cojak
Carolyn Smith wrote:
So it's not biblical?

Acts 21:8-12

8 And the next day we that were of Paul's company departed , and came unto Caesarea: and we entered into the house of Philip the evangelist, which was one of the seven; and abode with him.
9 And the same man had four daughters, virgins, which did prophesy .
10 And as we tarried there many days, there came down from Judaea a certain prophet, named Agabus.
11 And when he was come unto us *, he took Paul's girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said , Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.
12 And when we heard these things, both we, and they of that place, besought him not to go up to Jerusalem.

I would never say it is not Biblical! I believe Miracles are biblical also, but they are few and far between. From what I see and hear from MOST people who use this term of 'Word' in my area have been contradictory 'prophecies' that did not come to pass. Most that I hear are like the horoscope, very general. Good stuff, but not as good as what is already in his word. I am torn in my soul when someone says, GOD SAYS xyz and it does not happen. I have said it here, it God says it, it will happen.
What I said is true, I NEVER heard the term "I have a Word from the Lord for You" until the late 60s maybe 70s.

I knew a person in the 4SQ I attended who was a very shallow person, never consistent in his living, He constantly was 'Giving people a Word from the Lord." I guess I am 'dog bit' because some of what I have heard has been to me personally, and it was bologna, for lack of a better word. Embarassed
8/24/18 9:37 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I believe God can indeed give accurate words of knowledge or personal prophecies, always in keeping with the written inspired word of God. I do not believe that seeking a ‘rhema word’ from someone is the primary way that Christians should seek to know the will of God or to be led by His Spirit, like many charismatics I’ve known seem to believe. I find this practice is very much abused among charismatics I’ve known, to their own hurt.

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 8/25/18 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/24/18 10:02 pm

Post Cojak
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Cojak,

It seems to be primarily a product of the Charismatic Movement, and became especially widespread amongst charismatics in the 1970s and 1980s. For a couple of years in the 1990s, I was a part of a nondenominational Charismatic Church, in which these purported ‘personal words from the Lord’ were very common. My background previous to that was AG and CoG, and while we definitely had tongues, interpretations, prophecies, and even words of knowledge manifest fairly often in the AG and CoG churches in which I grew up in the 1970s and 1980s, my observation is that the charismatics took the concept to a whole new level.

Thanks QW!
8/24/18 10:20 pm

Post I've seen too many prophecy parties roughridercog
A "word" for everyone.

Know what?

In my opinion, most of what passes for personal prophecy or a "word" for someone in these days is in reality religious manipulation or spiritual wishful thinking.

There

Said it and I'm glad.
8/25/18 8:12 am

Post Link
Eddie Robbins wrote:
The only “word” I accept from anyone is a word of confirmation.

Aren't there many, many, many examples of genuine words from God in the Bible that would have been rejected if the object/target of those words had applied that rule?

We are told to despise not prophesyings, but prove all things.
8/25/18 9:32 am

Post Re: Can I get a "word" from somebody Link
Ernie Long wrote:

There could be a number of reasons for this. It could be that God wanted to give someone actively doing pastoral ministry words of encouragement because it is tough work. Another reason may be that there are individuals who will pray a lot for and about 'the pastor', and hear something and want to share it. And, of course, there may be people out there who confuse their imagination or wishful thinking with hearing God, and an active pastor is a target for their attention and their 'words.' There could even be some who intentionally deceive or who, being decieved, received 'words' from the wrong source.
8/25/18 9:37 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic