Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Question about Worship at GA

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Question about Worship at GA FG Minister
I left the COG many years ago and have a simple question. I mean no harm and there is no negative intent in my question at all. I watched the Friday night service and it looked very much like the COG I grew up in. High energy, loud, lots of phrases to energize the congregation. Is this still typical in most COG churches? Acts-celerater
8/9/18 11:47 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
No - not typical.
8/9/18 11:53 am

Post Big events ... Mat
Big events, big worship ... and preaching. Why would you not take the opportunity to energize the attendees (in the Spirit that is)?

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
8/9/18 12:52 pm

Post Re: Question about Worship at GA Aaron Scott
FG Minister wrote:
I left the COG many years ago and have a simple question. I mean no harm and there is no negative intent in my question at all. I watched the Friday night service and it looked very much like the COG I grew up in. High energy, loud, lots of phrases to energize the congregation. Is this still typical in most COG churches?

This was perhaps the best GA service I have seen for a number of years. NOT for lack of desire or effort, but just because it didn't quite hit on all cylinders.

Tim Hill is an excellent preacher. But when Tim Hill first introduced/preached about the FINISH Commitment, it was instructive and even inspirational, but nothing like what happened on Friday at this GA.

I think doing tag-team preaching with ministers who were on fire was a great idea. It gave Bro. Hill a breather, it exposed some ministers to the wider Church of God, and it kept things interesting. As far as I'm concerned, that might be a great idea for every final GA service.

Sadly, though, while such services used to be standard at the local level--and ESPECIALLY at the Camp Meeting or General Assembly level--such things have been in decline for a good while. I'm not sure why, except perhaps a generation gap, of sorts. Maybe?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
8/9/18 1:52 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Who can answer this question? Who can say they know how “most churches” worship when there are over 6,000 churches? Acts-pert Poster
8/9/18 2:50 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
There are a couple of COG FB pages that have people that are pretty whiny about how the COG isn't like it used to be, the Spirit doesn't move, etc., and how they miss singing the hymns, etc. They usually talk about how the COG has compromised, etc. and allow "anything" on the stage...you get the idea.

I don't understand why folks would stay in a dead church. Why would they keep going if they're not getting fed, if the Spirit isn't moving? I don't get it. If you want to be in a service where the Spirit is moving, then find one and go there!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
8/9/18 7:44 pm

Post Cojak
I did not attend nor see the final service. But I still want to comment on one thing. Sure I miss the traditional Hymns, but (serious smile) I miss the 'convention books' with new songs with 'stories (?)', maybe Biblical history written by men I knew or knew of. I can't think of but a couple now, Vep, T.N Ward and his brother, Bill WAters etc.

BUT in truth in that respect I am just out of touch, I DO NOT want to miss something that might 'grow' the body of Christ. It is obvious in traveling that many churches (COG & others) are missing something. I feel 'out of place' in some 'mega-churches' but am thrilled to see the YOUTH inspired whether they dance or sing the 7-11 songs. (I am happy, even if at 80 yrs old, I am on the outside looking in at myself and peers (many years ago!).

The night services at every GA I attended (moons ago) I thought were great! Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/10/18 10:00 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic