Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

GA no longer functions - will have to be replaced as governing body
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post GA no longer functions - will have to be replaced as governing body Nature Boy Florida
They can't decide anything - and referring it to another 2 year delay accomplishes nothing.

I have listened to every minute of the sessions.

We need to change to monthly conference calls of all OBs with voting allowed during them - OR - do away with this GA changing things - as this is how to NOT get things done.

Of course the argument against is that Cleveland will control all the power of the changes then - but, my friends - they already do - you are just fooled into thinking the GA does - but how it is done now accomplishes very little - especially considering the great cost expended to do it.
8/2/18 10:43 am

Post sheepdogandy
Centralized government, ya gotta love it! Laughing

I have watched some of the GA myself.

Entertaining to say the least.

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
8/2/18 11:19 am

Post Re: GA no longer functions - will have to be replaced as governing body SouthFloridaman
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
They can't decide anything - and referring it to another 2 year delay accomplishes nothing.

We need to change to monthly conference calls of all OBs with voting allowed during them - OR - do away with this GA changing things - as this is how to NOT get things done.

Of course the argument against is that Cleveland will control all the power of the changes then - but, my friends - they already do - you are just fooled into thinking the GA does - but how it is done now accomplishes very little - especially considering the great cost expended to do it.

You are right. Did you see my apology to you in the move the GA to Cleveland post..
Friendly Face
8/2/18 1:49 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
I didn't see the apology, but it is accepted.
8/2/18 2:44 pm

Post georgiapath
It's a big joke, it will never change. The powers that be, have it exactly the way they want it. Acts-dicted
8/2/18 6:03 pm

Post Re: GA no longer functions - will have to be replaced as governing body FLRon
Nature Boy Florida wrote:

I no longer hold COG credentials, I’m just a regular guy who pays his tithes each week and preaches occasionally in my local COG. Obviously I hate to see what has happened to the COG, and if I’m being honest it’s like standing back watching a slow death.
8/2/18 8:08 pm

Post I’ve found my peeps COG Watcher
I’ve finally found some folks like me that fully appreciates his roots and days gone by but I too feel like I’m watching a loved one die a slow death because they refuse help. Watching the business sessions from out here on the west coast I see nothing getting done but I’m sure my friend Mickey loves all the extra attention he’s getting. Hey, DOC
8/2/18 9:53 pm

Post Out of Paper
If Cleveland had final say so, then women would be able to become Ordained Bishops. New Member
8/2/18 10:06 pm

Post Why are ... Mat
Why are your top leaders (on stage) so quite when it comes to supporting the agenda items?

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
8/2/18 10:30 pm

Post Re: Why are ... Carolyn Smith
Mat wrote:
Why are your top leaders (on stage) so quite when it comes to supporting the agenda items?

Mat

It's my understanding that it isn't proper somehow (maybe by Robert's Rule of Order?) for the moderator to comment on the proposal. I seem to recall that happening once, perhaps on a state level, where the moderator stepped away from the podium to address something and had to step out of his role as moderator to do so.

I don't know much about it, since I've never studied RROO, but that's the best I can figure out...
8/3/18 12:22 am

Post Re: Why are ... Mat
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Mat wrote:

Mat

It's my understanding that it isn't proper somehow (maybe by Robert's Rule of Order?) for the moderator to comment on the proposal. I seem to recall that happening once, perhaps on a state level, where the moderator stepped away from the podium to address something and had to step out of his role as moderator to do so.

I don't know much about it, since I've never studied RROO, but that's the best I can figure out...

Well, its a good think RROO was not around for the Jerusalem Council in the Book of Acts, because we could not have heard from James, Peter and Paul. Since the meeting took place in Jerusalem, where the church was mostly composed of Jewish Christians, the results could have been very different.

So the COG takes their best and most visionary leaders, elects 23 of them to steer the denomination to where they feel God would have them go - they express this through the Agenda - and when it comes time to discuss it they must leave it up to the southern Male Bishops in a meeting in the south.

I noticed that some of the vote counts were like around 1000, something like 600 for and 400 against. How many Bishops attend the Counsel?

Mat

PS I have been told this system was to ensure that another AJT did not rise in the denomination. Its working.
Acts Enthusiast
8/3/18 5:46 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
I have heard that the general sense is they don’t want to influence the vote unfairly. Since whatever is on the agenda is obviously something at least most of the EC (not sure the exact percentage) wanted on the agenda, it ought to be clear to everyone what the majority of the EC feels about any item on the agenda they themselves approved.

My thought has always been that, since they are the ones who are no doubt the most well informed on the issue in the question, wouldn’t it be a great idea for them to speak to these things in the General Council session, for the information of all? I have to wonder if perhaps some are concerned about potentially losing the respect and support of some by openly expressing what they think. I know that as a local pastor, I *always* express in any business meeting precisely why I think we should do or not do a certain thing. I’m sure most pastors do the same. It’s called leadership.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/3/18 6:09 am

Post Perhaps ... Mat
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
I have heard that the general sense is they don’t want to influence the vote unfairly. Since whatever is on the agenda is obviously something at least most of the EC (not sure the exact percentage) wanted on the agenda, it ought to be clear to everyone what the majority of the EC feels about any item on the agenda they themselves approved.

My thought has always been that, since they are the ones who are no doubt the most well informed on the issue in the question, wouldn’t it be a great idea for them to speak to these things in the General Council session, for the information of all? I have to wonder if perhaps some are concerned about potentially losing the respect and support of some by openly expressing what they think. I know that as a local pastor, I *always* express in any business meeting precisely why I think we should do or not do a certain thing. I’m sure most pastors do the same. It’s called leadership.

Perhaps the leaders do not what to appear to be an "AJT" type so they do not suffer the same repercussions.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
8/3/18 6:46 am

Post The reason why they don't express their preferences... Aaron Scott
Obviously, it could look to be in poor form for someone with a lot of influence to say that he recommended this or that person.

But I think one of the reasons is because if they make some of their choices clear, it will alienate some group of voters. Consider that if you are on the Council of 18 and come out against women in leadership. You may very well lose a large group of voters...enough to let someone else get enough votes to capture a position.

I don't know that that works that way for all, but it would seem, wouldn't it, that if we knew how everyone voted on every agenda item, some different results might be had at that top.
8/3/18 9:45 am

Post Change Agent
Would not be right if people we elect to congress would not express their thoughts. What if the President didn't express his thoughts?

How are you going to lead a country or an organization with keeping your mouth shut. Maybe the COG is electing those that are afraid to speak. If that is the case just don't elect the greatest and brightest but one who will be sure to speak his piece.
Acts Enthusiast
8/3/18 12:28 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
After the final days charade, I stand by me original post. Lots of discussion, great idea, and, it's gone on technicality. System is woefully broken.
8/3/18 1:28 pm

Post Change Agent
I remember when the circus came to town every year. All of us looked forward to those events. After so many years and nothing new we grew tired of viewing the circus. Finally the circus made the announcement that they were no longer coming to town. Barniam & Baily no more. I do see similarities with this and COG GA.

When it takes having the GA at Disney to attract crowds you may have a problem. Hold the GA in Cleveland and you will find out why they are coming.

End of an era.
Acts Enthusiast
8/4/18 4:50 pm

Post caveator
It is really perplexing to get home from the greatest General Assembly of the Church of God in my lifetime and read the crazy negativity on this thread. Wow!

The Church of God just experienced an amazing General Assembly. The discussion was the most civil and expeditious of any assembly that I have attended over the last 30 years. We completed the prepared agenda and processed numerous motions from the floor. There was an obvious international participation and while we had more resolutions and tasks forces approved, those things will prepare us for another productive assembly in 2020.

The crowds in the services were overflowing. The Spirit of God was powerful. Everyone whom I talked to that were there agreed that it was the best General Assembly ever. How can you guys possibly (It doesn't surprise me with sheepdog. He trolls for an opportunity to slam the Church of God system) deduce anything but a powerful and effective General Assembly? It is really unbelievable!
Acts-celerater
8/4/18 5:15 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
caveator wrote:
It is really perplexing to get home from the greatest General Assembly of the Church of God in my lifetime and read the crazy negativity on this thread. Wow!

The Church of God just experienced an amazing General Assembly. The discussion was the most civil and expeditious of any assembly that I have attended over the last 30 years. We completed the prepared agenda and processed numerous motions from the floor. There was an obvious international participation and while we had more resolutions and tasks forces approved, those things will prepare us for another productive assembly in 2020.

The crowds in the services were overflowing. The Spirit of God was powerful. Everyone whom I talked to that were there agreed that it was the best General Assembly ever. How can you guys possibly (It doesn't surprise me with sheepdog. He trolls for an opportunity to slam the Church of God system) deduce anything but a powerful and effective General Assembly? It is really unbelievable!

Thank you! I think we must have watched the same activities (though I was online)...I'm not sure about these other folks!
8/4/18 6:41 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
I have heard the same from numerous people. I cannot tell you the last time I heard an assembly being referred to as the greatest one. Acts-pert Poster
8/4/18 9:02 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic