Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

V.P. Pence to be at Lee University Saturday
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post V.P. Pence to be at Lee University Saturday Nature Boy Florida
I wonder what his welcome will be like?

What should his welcome be from the Lee administration?
7/19/18 7:26 am

Post Re: V.P. Pence to be at Lee University Saturday caveator
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
I wonder what his welcome will be like?

What should his welcome be from the Lee administration?

I live in the Cleveland area now and the outrage that I am hearing from a large amount of Lee alumni and faculty about the Vice President’s visit is disgusting. I believe it reveals a very serious issue with the socially and politically liberal culture that has developed at Lee. I could say more, but I’ll leave it at that. I’m disgusted by it!
Acts-celerater
7/19/18 7:42 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Would this be a good time for those of you in the Cleveland area to show up in support of the Christian Vice President?

Perhaps Lee University feels it is ok to continue on their current path. What will those in Cleveland do to show them the error of their ways?

Wasn't there a group that sang " We're not Gonna Take It" back in the 80s?

Where is the fire, the flame, in you locals to do something positive about it?
7/19/18 8:04 am

Post UncleJD
Lee protesting a very conservative Christian VP. Let that sink in. I guess the safe-space councilors will have to do some overtime.

Last edited by UncleJD on 7/19/18 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
7/19/18 9:24 am

Post Cojak
Is he visiting on invitation? I assume he is. If so who invited him?

This truly amazes me if in fact someone doesn't want the VP at Lee. I would have thought it was a feather in their hat?

What I am reading here is a Baptist university is more conservative than a pennycostal (OTCP) school.

I hope you guys are exaggerating...... I would expect him to get a BIG HUG and standing ovations. I still hope so! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Shocked Shocked

Last edited by Cojak on 7/19/18 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
7/19/18 9:33 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
It could be a watershed moment for Lee administration.

How many times has a sitting VP or President spoke at a Lee campus auditorium? Has it ever happened?

So if it is happening for the first time Saturday - I surely hope the Lee administration rolls out the red carpet for him. It seems like a no-brainer - and I know the Lee folks know how to treat folks the right way. They are excellent at it. I expect it to be a good thing.
7/19/18 9:33 am

Post skinnybishop
The anger of "Lee People" over the Vice President's visit is VERY disturbing to me. He is a Christian man and Lee is supposed to be a Christian University.
7/19/18 10:01 am

Post skinnybishop
Cojak wrote:
Is he visiting on invitation? I assume he is. If so who invited him?

This truly amazes me if in fact someone doesn't want the VP at Lee. I would have thought it was a feather in their hat?

What I am reading here is a Baptist university is more conservative than a pennycostal (OTCP) school.

I hope you guys are exaggerating...... I would expect him to get a BIG HUG and standing ovations. I still hope so! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :shock: :shock:

We are not exaggerating. You should see the venom on facebook from Lee University alumni.
7/19/18 10:02 am

Post no exaggeration, story appears in regional news today... (link) FactChecker
https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/breakingnews/story/2018/jul/19/petition-aims-block-pence/475288/ Member
7/19/18 10:24 am

Post Re: no exaggeration, story appears in regional news today... (link) skinnybishop
FactChecker wrote:
https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/breakingnews/story/2018/jul/19/petition-aims-block-pence/475288/

Just sad.
7/19/18 10:31 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
I have been seeing the "uproar" - but so far it's just one student's petition - and not any faculty or administrators protesting.

Again - it is fine to disagree on certain policies - no one is 100% correct - but if we succumbed to not allowing the VP to speak on our campus - I suspect there are a lot of parents that will no longer send their kids there.

I hope our guys are smart enough to roll out the welcome mat to a sitting VP - duly elected through our American electoral process. And a Christian man - notwithstanding the student who claims he doesn't represent our Christian values.

We know he represents one of them - the Right to Life. If for nothing else - a Christian university should CELEBRATE him for that.

The only thing worse than protests - would be to get him to cancel or change venues - now that would be sad.
7/19/18 11:45 am

Post Eddie Robbins
UncleJD wrote:
Lee protesting a very conservative Christian VP. Let that sink in. I guess the safe-space councilors will have to do some overtime.

It’s unfair to say that Lee is protesting. Lee is the ones allowing them to use their venue. I don’t know of one faculty member protesting this. If you do, name them and I’ll go take a look. There are some alumni and other outsiders making a big deal about it on social media. There have been thousands of people come through Lee. It is to be expected that a few knuckleheads show their rear.

Lee is not sponsoring this event. They are only allowing a local politician use a conference hall. Others have done so when the right went crazy. Al Gore spoke there as well as the World Council of Churches. People from both sides of the aisle. To those who say that the school is promoting a politician, why would they have this event while students are not there?

People just need to relax. Including me. I love Lee and will support it because I know the heart of my brother-in-law. He has given everything he has to the well being of Lee University.
Acts-pert Poster
7/19/18 2:39 pm

Post UncleJD
Eddie Robbins wrote:
UncleJD wrote:

It’s unfair to say that Lee is protesting. Lee is the ones allowing them to use their venue. I don’t know of one faculty member protesting this. If you do, name them and I’ll go take a look. There are some alumni and other outsiders making a big deal about it on social media. There have been thousands of people come through Lee. It is to be expected that a few knuckleheads show their rear.

Lee is not sponsoring this event. They are only allowing a local politician use a conference hall. Others have done so when the right went crazy. Al Gore spoke there as well as the World Council of Churches. People from both sides of the aisle. To those who say that the school is promoting a politician, why would they have this event while students are not there?

People just need to relax. Including me. I love Lee and will support it because I know the heart of my brother-in-law. He has given everything he has to the well being of Lee University.

I hope you're right Eddie. I've heard too much from friends who's kids either left Lee in frustration or came back well left of center. I loved my time there and for years I took bus-loads of kids to Lee Day and strongly recommended it (for great reasons).

Edit - never mind, I just went to the main Lee U FB page and read the vast majority of comments with the "its Hitler, he doesn't represent OUR values, etc..." Someone even called you out Eddie (though I disagree with them). A lot of nasty vitriol there, much worse than here on Acts.
7/19/18 3:29 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
UncleJD wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
UncleJD wrote:

I hope you're right Eddie. I've heard too much from friends who's kids either left Lee in frustration or came back well left of center. I loved my time there and for years I took bus-loads of kids to Lee Day and strongly recommended it (for great reasons).

Edit - never mind, I just went to the main Lee U FB page and read the vast majority of comments with the "its Hitler, he doesn't represent OUR values, etc..." Someone even called you out Eddie (though I disagree with them). A lot of nasty vitriol there, much worse than here on Acts.

I turned off notifications but have seen some. I can take care of myself with them. I question if some are even alumni. If you notice, it’s just a few loudmouth folks.
Acts-pert Poster
7/19/18 5:50 pm

Post skinnybishop
Eddie Robbins wrote:
UncleJD wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
UncleJD wrote:

I turned off notifications but have seen some. I can take care of myself with them. I question if some are even alumni. If you notice, it’s just a few loudmouth folks.

Its more than a few. There is a lot of support for having Vice President Pence on the school FB page....But there is also a lot of criticism. If it is actually from alumni, I don't know. But there are more than a few critics on that page.
7/19/18 7:10 pm

Post Cojak
Ok, I read enough to make me sick.

I thought this was cute (NOT)
Quote:
Vice President Pence supports actions and policies against the LGBTQI+ community which shames and suppresses this community in ways which are harmful and disrespectful.

Of course they are using many words and terms I have read here about President Trump, Just transferring them down the line to Pence.

Since I am not very well educated, one must be really educated to understand these 'presumed' educated 'free thinkers'.

I am honestly very disappointed. But I do respect Free Speech, I just did not expect to read such 'meanness from students and former students.' Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
7/19/18 9:37 pm

Post UncleJD
Quote:

Vice President Pence supports actions and policies against the LGBTQI+ community which shames and suppresses this community in ways which are harmful and disrespectful.

What does that even mean? Have they become such mindless parrots that they just squak whatever talking-point they heard on CNN as if it has validity? What actions has Pence or Trump for that matter "supported" that shame and suppress LGBTQRSTUVXYZ#%^&* ? As far as I know Trump supports gay marriage and gay rights, at least that is what he has actually said. He even said it BEFORE his election, unlike Oblamblah who waited until he was sure he had the black vote in the second election to come out of his closet. I assume Pence has said he believes in Biblical marriage but that isn't an action against the alphabet soups.

These people are absolute nuts. One woman used the Nazi word. If you use the word Nazi in respect to ANY American President, even the worst one in history who left in 2017, you are out of your pea-pikin' mind. Only an uneducated imbecile would equate a limited government president like we have to a group who actually murdered millions of people.
7/19/18 10:41 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
I know of at least one COG minister that was speaking about protest on Facebook and there are others, but they feel the "right" supports people who have been "marginalized" and oppressed. Like the immigrants who have been mistreated at the border. And how gays, etc., are not treated in love by the church. I don't exactly "get" it but there are some people involved in the conversation whose opinion I value, though I don't agree with them.

The understanding I'm getting is that Lee isn't necessarily supporting the event, but they are allowing it as a venue and would welcome the other side to come, also. That makes it so that all sides are represented and everyone is free to make up their own minds.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
7/20/18 6:37 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
I think you are right Carolyn.

I truly don't mind any Lee venue allowing political folks of most persuasions to come...however, there should be more to it for this political visit.

This is the VP of the United States. I hope there is some type of official welcome. And after the welcome - hopefully you open the door for more dialogue with the VP later that day(not a good chance as he has a full schedule) or in the future. What could be wrong with that?
7/20/18 7:31 am

Post Eddie Robbins
I have looked at a few of the profiles of the negative posters and don’t see Lee as their school. There’s no way to know, but I have a suspicion the negative folks have shared this onto their personal Facebook site causing their friends to post. The very fact that Lee has left the thread intact shows how they believe in free speech. I wonder if the other side would do that since they want to stop the free speech of VP Pence. It always amazes me how the ones who scream “tolerance” is so intolerant.

Having said all of this.....these negative voices are not a bad reflection on Lee. Even if they are alumni, Lee didn’t make them puppets. I detect some blame towards Lee because there may be a few liberal teachers there. Look, people take more than 3 classes. Students get a well balanced education at Lee and make their own way. To blame Lee on what a 50 year old man says on a discussion board is ludicrous. One more point. I have yet to see one faculty member posting in that particular thread. I admit,mi don’t know them all but none that I know of. It wouldn’t be very smart to post against your employer in a thread like that.

Peace!
Acts-pert Poster
7/20/18 7:37 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic