Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

question about GA voting

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post question about GA voting aprilmay2.0
Is there anything in the minutes that says you have to be physically present at the GA to vote? Could you send a proxy voter? Or could we institute absentee ballots? Could I just get my husbands minister number and go grab a keypad and vote? Friendly Face
7/5/18 11:10 am

Post Re: question about GA voting Carolyn Smith
aprilmay2.0 wrote:
Is there anything in the minutes that says you have to be physically present at the GA to vote? Could you send a proxy voter? Or could we institute absentee ballots? Could I just get my husbands minister number and go grab a keypad and vote?

If you try that, please get video. I would love to see the stampede to stop you from sitting on the GC floor!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
7/5/18 7:14 pm

Post Re: question about GA voting Dean Steenburgh
Carolyn Smith wrote:
aprilmay2.0 wrote:
Is there anything in the minutes that says you have to be physically present at the GA to vote? Could you send a proxy voter? Or could we institute absentee ballots? Could I just get my husbands minister number and go grab a keypad and vote?

If you try that, please get video. I would love to see the stampede to stop you from sitting on the GC floor!

A stampede that would leave bodies on the floor.

The idea of instituting a mixed media format that offers video, audio & instant voting technology from the GC floor at the GA is one that has passed from trusting leadership to trusting the membership.
Might have a chance in 10+ years.
In other words I don't believe you'll be seeing it any time soon & especially when we read this part from your post:
Quote:
"Could I just get my husbands minister number and go grab a keypad and vote?"

This is exactly what they are afraid might happen.

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
7/6/18 4:57 pm

Post Re: question about GA voting skinnybishop
Dean Steenburgh wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:
aprilmay2.0 wrote:

The idea of instituting a mixed media format that offers video, audio & instant voting technology from the GC floor at the GA is one that has passed from trusting leadership to trusting the membership.
In other words I don't believe you'll be seeing it any time soon & especially when we read this part from your post:
Quote:

Reluctance to incorporating technology, in the COG is likely a southern issue. Those rednecks who control things just won't let it pass. I know this is true, because I overhead a couple of guys from Alabama talking about it after lunch, once. I heard one of them say, "I'll give up my keypad, when they pry it out of my cold, dead hands". So that means Southerners are keeping technology out of the vote at the GA....right?
7/6/18 5:16 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Someone on FB mentioned they would have to vet that the technology worked correctly and that no one could hack in that wasn't supposed to be able to...something to that effect.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
7/6/18 8:03 pm

Post Re: question about GA voting Dean Steenburgh
skinnybishop wrote:
Dean Steenburgh wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:
aprilmay2.0 wrote:

Quote:

Reluctance to incorporating technology, in the COG is likely a southern issue. Those rednecks who control things just won't let it pass. I know this is true, because I overhead a couple of guys from Alabama talking about it after lunch, once. I heard one of them say, "I'll give up my keypad, when they pry it out of my cold, dead hands". So that means Southerners are keeping technology out of the vote at the GA....right?

I'm sure you're playing around with this sharp sided insinuation.
Truth is it's probably not a geographical issue as much as it is an instilled control issue.
Leadership have every right to be concerned when they read where people can just get ahold of the Bishop's credential number & begin voting in his place.
Hence why I say it's a good 10+ maybe closer to 20 years out.

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
7/6/18 8:53 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I don’t think they’ll allow online voting ever. To do so would radically transform the cultural dynamic of the denomination, especially in Cleveland. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/6/18 9:07 pm

Post Cojak
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
I don’t think they’ll allow online voting ever. To do so would radically transform the cultural dynamic of the denomination, especially in Cleveland.

I think QW is spot on here.

But for the argument of illegal voting, I am a believer that our nation's voting, no matter how strict, still has 'illegal or wrong' voting. That said, I do not think it is enough to sway an election. i.e. most illegal voting comes from states that illegals would vote the way the state would go anyway. So the fear in the COG (If it is) that the sneak vote may happen, and it would , but probably not go against a dedicated majority. Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
7/8/18 11:28 pm

Post A compromise ... Mat
A compromise might work. The COGOP mails/emails out the business documents three months before the assembly to the local churches. The local church can (some don't) distribute the documents to the members for review. An local church Expression Form is voted on (something like Yes, No, Submit, Abstain) on each item. By mail or email the expression forms are returned to the International Offices (including local church number, Pastor's and Treasurer's Name). This is don't globally.

The forms are tallied and the results are presented during the business session of the assembly. However, they are not binding, but informative. Since the COGOP does not uses a bicameral system, the vote on the assembly floor is the binding vote. Sometimes, due to input some of the items are amended/changed/dropped before they are presented to the assembly.

As a note, the COGOP vote includes both ministers and members in good standing, men and women alike.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
7/9/18 7:11 am

Post Mat aprilmay2.0
this is a great idea. The AOG has some great things we could learn from in regards to structure and organization. Friendly Face
7/10/18 10:27 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic