Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

If Kevin Wallace came back would you vote for him for General Overseer?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post If Kevin Wallace came back would you vote for him for General Overseer? aprilmay2.0
I know its hypothetical but what if:

the COG gave women full AB allowance and they could vote and serve and because of that KW came back to the COG.

Would you vote for him or not?
Friendly Face
7/2/18 10:50 am

Post Kevin Wallace for GO MegaBoss
Absolutely Not!
7/2/18 11:34 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Depends on if he wanted the job.

Again - some folks are too valuable doing what they are doing to be overseer - the way the COG is set up now.
7/2/18 3:34 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
As much as like Kevin, I don’t believe he would be a viable candidate for GO. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/2/18 4:51 pm

Post Some thoughts... Aaron Scott
First, Kevin Wallace would have eventually almost certainly have become the General Overseer. Barring any missteps, I imagine his name would have become as well-known as anyone out there.

But there are a couple of reasons I would hesitate about making him General Overseer at this point....

First, I would like to see him have more age and experience. Even if he were still in the COG, I would think that 45 or so is an age where a lot of experience meets a lot of energy.

Second, I think that if he returned--especially so quickly--it would call into question his judgement. Someone would say, "He must not have really though things through--and we need overseers that will think things through."

Now, if after a while he returns to the COG (see Jentzen Franklin), and especially if he does it in a way that stands him in good stead, it can open doors for him in a way that his name is again one of the most recognized names in the Church of God.

Lastly, it IS hard to leave and come back. We might be a forgiving people, but we aren't very good at forgetting. And if we think someone left us (even though Bro. Wallace indicated that he had sound reasons), it can feel a bit like rejection or divorce. And not everyone can bounce back very easily.

A good PR counselor could almost certainly give him some wise advice on how to "come back home."

I will say that I very much hated to lose him. He was one of the only preachers of that younger generation (at least younger for me) that truly could preach in a way that bridged the generational divide. I imagine older ministers saw him as a sort of Ray H. Hughes...and younger ministers saw him as cutting-edge. I know my dad really liked his preaching (I doubt I have heard more than 10 minutes of him preaching, but it was outstanding.0
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
7/2/18 6:22 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
1) I don't think that's why Kevin Wallace left the COG.
2) It seems pretty clear he is doing quite well without us.
3) Never mind, I'm just a woman, I can't vote anyhow, even if I was credentialed, which I'm not. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Aprilmay, you really seem to enjoy stirring the pot.

BTW, did you know that KW's church is still donating to Alma's Closet for the GA, even though they are no longer associated with the COG? Their goal is to send 250 pieces of clothing for Alma's Closet (new clothes to go to missionaries in need of clothing for the GA.) That seems kinda classy to me.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
7/2/18 9:30 pm

Post georgiapath
I dont think that's why he left either.

He recently spoke at "The Church at Liberty Square" in Cartersville, he seems to just go and do whatever, whereever. whenever. Super guy doing great things for people.
Acts-dicted
7/3/18 4:48 am

Post Leadership from outside? Mat
It has crossed the minds of some denominations to bring leadership from outside the organization, or bring back a "son" of the church who may have left and been successful. There are some reasons on both sides of the issues as to why its not good for the denomination or the individual.

There is a great cost in leaving a denomination and becoming independent. Why would a successful minister want to pay that cost, than "give" what the Lord has blessed him with to a denomination he felt he needed to leave in the first place.

On the denomination's side of the issue, its not just the memory and feelings of loss from the "break-up", its the message it would send. Its much like the message when the denomination promotes independent ministries and speakers at assemblies. The average "Joe Pastor" will sit there, see how the denominational leaders promote the independent minister as an example they wish all their pastors would follow. Joe Pastor may think to himself, maybe I need to be independent of the "weight" of the denomination to be successful. Or, maybe if I leave, I will be invited back as a leader someday.

Is there really a good reason for a successful independent pastor to join a denomination now a days? Denominational leaders are kidding themselves if they think there are such churches/ministers lining up to be under their leadership and pay their salary.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
7/3/18 6:31 am

Post Re: Leadership from outside? Cojak
Mat wrote:
It has crossed the minds of some denominations to bring leadership from outside the organization, or bring back a "son" of the church who may have left and been successful. There are some reasons on both sides of the issues as to why its not good for the denomination or the individual.

There is a great cost in leaving a denomination and becoming independent. Why would a successful minister want to pay that cost, than "give" what the Lord has blessed him with to a denomination he felt he needed to leave in the first place.

On the denomination's side of the issue, its not just the memory and feelings of loss from the "break-up", its the message it would send. Its much like the message when the denomination promotes independent ministries and speakers at assemblies. The average "Joe Pastor" will sit there, see how the denominational leaders promote the independent minister as an example they wish all their pastors would follow. Joe Pastor may think to himself, maybe I need to be independent of the "weight" of the denomination to be successful. Or, maybe if I leave, I will be invited back as a leader someday.

Is there really a good reason for a successful independent pastor to join a denomination now a days? Denominational leaders are kidding themselves if they think there are such churches/ministers lining up to be under their leadership and pay their salary.

Mat

Well said, you do bring up some good points for sure. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
7/3/18 8:38 am

Post Hill-billy
Edit

Last edited by Hill-billy on 7/5/18 2:32 am; edited 13 times in total
7/3/18 12:51 pm

Post im not stirring anything aprilmay2.0
I'm simply starting conversation. I haven't heard anything about Kevin coming back or do i think he will come back. I was just asking.

But the conversation brings a bigger question about us as a denomination and our reluctance to trust and forgive.
Friendly Face
7/3/18 2:05 pm

Post Kevin Wallace General overseer Restorationman
I know for a fact that Dr. Hill was just saying that
he Was just trying to continue a spirit of worship in that state meeting
Also, Justin Sharp Didn’t go to Michigan until they pretty much cut out most of the salary.
Friendly Face
7/3/18 6:41 pm

Post Re: Kevin Wallace General overseer Hill-billy
Edit

Last edited by Hill-billy on 7/5/18 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total
7/3/18 8:58 pm

Post Kevin Wallace General Overseer Restorationman
No Bull the truth and there are other ways to raise funds like some of the previous Youth Directors who evangelized as well. However, Rather than criticize why don’t you pray for them that God will help them make an eternal impact on students in that region.

Last edited by Restorationman on 7/4/18 12:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Friendly Face
7/4/18 12:11 am

Post Re: Kevin Wallace General Overseer Restorationman
Restorationman wrote:
No Bull the truth and there are other ways to raise funds like some of the previous Youth Directors who evangelized as well. However, Rather then criticize why don’t you pray for them that God will help them make an eternal impact on students in that region.
Friendly Face
7/4/18 12:12 am

Post Kevin Wallace General Overseer Restorationman
Sorry I Put this in Quotes under my post. However, it was an accident. Friendly Face
7/4/18 12:22 am

Post Hill-billy
Edit

Last edited by Hill-billy on 7/5/18 2:32 am; edited 2 times in total
7/4/18 10:09 am

Post Kevin Wallace GO Restorationman
The Present youth director in Michigan had a wonderful youth group. Also, in Tennessee and a couple other places as well as being youth pastor at the Summington COG in Alabama. However, since you are so adamant against this brother why don’t you call him up and do Matthew 18 and get it straightened out. I Would love to see you all pray for one another to reach students for the kingdom of God! Friendly Face
7/4/18 2:57 pm

Post Re: Kevin Wallace GO Hill-billy
Edit

Last edited by Hill-billy on 7/5/18 2:33 am; edited 2 times in total
7/4/18 3:20 pm

Post Kevin Wallace Restorationman
Again,contact the folks that you feel have wronged you and try to work it out.
I believe if you would do that with a geniuine spirit and share your offense you could forget about it and move on to what God has for you. The spirit of offense really only bothers you and that’s not good for the ministry God has given you.
Friendly Face
7/4/18 4:07 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic