Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

How refreshing Campmeeting would be
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post lesserpower
Carolyn Smith wrote:
The message was very much "for me," speaking about strengthening the hands that hang down (Heb 12:12). Dennis McGuire preached that night.

Funny, I have heard DM preach this same message no less than 3 times over the past 15 years or so.
6/27/18 8:24 am

Post Aaron Scott
lesserpower wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:
The message was very much "for me," speaking about strengthening the hands that hang down (Heb 12:12). Dennis McGuire preached that night.

Funny, I have heard DM preach this same message no less than 3 times over the past 15 years or so.

Yeah, King David had the same problem. He would keep repeating things like "His mercy endureth forever" or "Praise ye the Lord" over and over and over in the Psalms! SHEESSSH! You'd think once would be enough!

If a man has a word from someone, God might have you preach it ever time God wants to send someone a message.

I mean, we sing some of the same songs over and over, don't we?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/27/18 11:17 am

Post buttrfli24
I've been to at least one service of every camp meeting in my state for the last 35 years. I've attended in neighboring states and at smaller "old fashioned" camp meetings put on by large churches. I say that to be clear, I love and have loved camp meeting since I was a child sitting with my granny and refusing to go to kids church so I could watch the grown-ups shout.

A few summers ago, I was having some health issues and really should have been home, but I was a part of the music ministry that week and I didn't want to let that pass me by. I sat one night, taking in the scene from the stage.

There was a large crowd that night and I began to "count the cost" so to speak. The area where the camp meeting was held doesn't have a large number of churches close by so most of those in attendance had driven a good distance, rented a cabin or hotel room for the week. I thought about how much money that much have cost.

I thought about all the new outfits people had purchased and the number of meals that had to be bought in restaurants. I thought about the fuel for the trip and the physical fatigue of such a long week. I wondered at the brand new sound system and cameras for live stream.

I watched the same folks as always make speeches, push projects, kill worship in order to make announcements and the like. I could almost predict what would happen next (aside from spiritual moving of course). It was tiresome.

I turned to my neighbor (without the minister telling me to) and I said "I don't think God gives a hoot about all this." She looked shocked but said nothing, so I went on with my thought. "I think He is here because we invite Him and bring Him with us, but I'm not sure He cares about all this stuff as much as we do."

I meant it then and I mean it now. I love camp meeting and I still go at least one night but I'm over it.
6/27/18 1:57 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Seriously, guys? You've never re-preached a "Red Hot"?
6/27/18 9:00 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
buttrfli24 wrote:
I've been to at least one service of every camp meeting in my state for the last 35 years. I've attended in neighboring states and at smaller "old fashioned" camp meetings put on by large churches. I say that to be clear, I love and have loved camp meeting since I was a child sitting with my granny and refusing to go to kids church so I could watch the grown-ups shout.

A few summers ago, I was having some health issues and really should have been home, but I was a part of the music ministry that week and I didn't want to let that pass me by. I sat one night, taking in the scene from the stage.

There was a large crowd that night and I began to "count the cost" so to speak. The area where the camp meeting was held doesn't have a large number of churches close by so most of those in attendance had driven a good distance, rented a cabin or hotel room for the week. I thought about how much money that much have cost.

I thought about all the new outfits people had purchased and the number of meals that had to be bought in restaurants. I thought about the fuel for the trip and the physical fatigue of such a long week. I wondered at the brand new sound system and cameras for live stream.

I watched the same folks as always make speeches, push projects, kill worship in order to make announcements and the like. I could almost predict what would happen next (aside from spiritual moving of course). It was tiresome.

I turned to my neighbor (without the minister telling me to) and I said "I don't think God gives a hoot about all this." She looked shocked but said nothing, so I went on with my thought. "I think He is here because we invite Him and bring Him with us, but I'm not sure He cares about all this stuff as much as we do."

I meant it then and I mean it now. I love camp meeting and I still go at least one night but I'm over it.

I kind of feel that way about Easter. One year I started looking around at all the new clothes and wondered how much money could have been raised to reach the lost instead of spending it on ourselves to celebrate the resurrection. Kind of seems like a waste and the wrong focus.
6/27/18 9:06 pm

Post Da Sheik
I’ll let you in on a little secret : the camp meeting speakers themselves get annoyed with the offering sermons and the pomp and circumstance. Wink Acts Enthusiast
6/27/18 10:46 pm

Post Cojak
buttrfli24 wrote:
I've been to at least one service of every camp meeting in my state for the last 35 years. ...

Thumb Up

Good points,, but I did smile at the 'without being told to!'
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/27/18 11:51 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Aaron Scott wrote:
lesserpower wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:

Yeah, King David had the same problem. He would keep repeating things like "His mercy endureth forever" or "Praise ye the Lord" over and over and over in the Psalms! SHEESSSH! You'd think once would be enough!

If a man has a word from someone, God might have you preach it ever time God wants to send someone a message.

I mean, we sing some of the same songs over and over, don't we?

Right on Aaron.
If I ever do get one message that is a "red hot" - I will preach it every time I get up. Still looking for it though. Thank God DM has one that God gave him that is so spiritually meaningful to so many.
DM preached that one message at the Assembly about restoring relationships that shook me to my knees.
Anyone that knows him should ask him sometime about how he received that message from God - and he indeed heard from God that evening.
Don't dis DM.
6/28/18 7:56 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic