Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

No patience for the hearing impaired

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post No patience for the hearing impaired Ernie Long
Why is it when you ask someone to repeat themselves after telling them you didn't hear them because you have a hearing issue, they roll their eyes and give you a look like you're stupid?

Why is it that wearing hearing aids still has a stigma attached to them, but wearing glasses is acceptable and even fashionable?

I have been losing my hearing over the past several years and have been told by an audiologist that hearing aids will help my hearing, but I don't have several thousand dollars to buy a pair and so I limp along trying to carefully listen to what others say to me. I misunderstand a lot, because of my hearing and my hearing was a great hindrance to me while I was pastoring.

Please don't come off with some joke about having enough faith to receive my healing. I have received prayer for my hearing over the past several years and have not been healed yet. So, until God deems it's time to restore my hearing, I am making the best of it.

So, if you know someone who is hard of hearing, have patience with them, speak a little louder and slower and if they ask you to repeat what you said, just do it without making them feel any worst than they already do, by making some snide remake.
Acts Enthusiast
6/20/18 7:21 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Sorry you have to deal with this. People can be awful.

Thank you for being willing to be a voice for people with this kind of disability.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/20/18 8:01 pm

Post I'm smiling Cojak
BECAUSE I have been there. I once told a preacher if I repeated what I thought he said I would be 'cussing in church'.

That said Ernie, I have some advice for you. Just as many people live out their lives with $5 glasses and do well, it is the same with hearing aids. UNLESS it is something more than a loss of hearing the $20-$50 aid will change your life.

I say this because I had the best aids money could buy but I did not have a good back up. So once in Maine I was at a yard sale and saw a hearing aid still in the box, battery and all. It was a $15 hearing aid bought over the internet by a man who never opened it. I bought it for 50 cents. Went home to get a laugh, I loaded it up and put it in my worst ear. It worked as well as my super duper hearing aid and served as my back up until I had the Cochlear implants.

Now as to people, yeah I have heard too many times I have selective hearing. I still get that. No aids or implants work well in a noisy environment. And there are voices that will never register with any aids.

Yes sir, you will never get over the feeling of the 'rolled eyes', somehow it just bites your gut! LOL BUT, but please keep asking people to repeat. Too many folk are like me and after the second repeat I smile and 'act like' I got it when I still do not know what was said.

I gave up contracting because I lost $1000s on jobs where I agreed to things because I misunderstood and did not clarify and repeat what I thought I heard.

Best of luck to you my friend, I will remember you in prayer, you can use it I am sure! But believe me you are not alone....

We are prone to say I did not hear you, but what we mean is "I hear you I just do not understand!"
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/20/18 8:22 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
My older son deals with this, too & has since he was in his 20's. It almost caused him to walk away from his faith but he made it through that crisis initially. (He now says he isn't sure God exists... Crying or Very sad )

Starting to lose your hearing in your 20s pretty much takes you out of youth ministry if you can't be around loud music, so it was pretty traumatic for him.

He is pretty good at reading lips and now has hearing aids, but they didn't help him the first time he tried them. I forget it's an issue sometimes, not because I'm being insensitive, but we aren't physically with each other much these days, and sometimes it slips my mind. He tries not to make a big deal of it. Sometimes he texts to avoid problems with it. His hearing has actually improved somewhat since the beginning, and loud noises no longer bother him.

Interestingly enough, when it first started he told me that if he was in a church service where the anointing was strong, his hearing would get better while he was there and the sound didn't bother his ears like in other situations.

My husband also has hearing loss from a medication he received in which the levels were not checked properly as they were supposed to be, while he was on it. It's really frustrating to both of us.

I'm sorry you guys deal not only with this, but with the stigma & problems associated with it. It can make life difficult!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/20/18 9:50 pm

Post Things... Aaron Scott
First, I like Cojak's thing about cheap hearing aides. I don't know where to get them, but I'd like to!

Second, you can use bad hearing to your advantage. For instance, if I know my wife is calling for me (especially if it might be for me to do some chore), I don't respond. Finally, when she gets riled enough to raise her voice, I blurt out "What?" as if I had finally heard her for the first time.

Lastly, many years ago, my dad (who didn't have bad hearing then, but still could not make out the words) was shaking hands as people left the building. My father-in-law leaned in and said something in dad's ear. My dad, not hearing it, just smiled. My F-I-L leaned in again and said, "You didn't hear what I said did you? Your zipper is down!"

HA!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/21/18 11:00 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Yes - get the hearing aids - the best you can afford.
And thank God for providing the technology.
6/21/18 12:26 pm

Post Cojak
One of the largest problems about hearing/not hearing is that too many people compare eye glasses to hearing aids, nothig could be further from the truth. In very exceptional cases most people can get near 20/20 vision or close with spectacles.

Hearing aids WILL NEVER GIVE YOU PERFECT HEARING, not even close. Most folk start mis understanding, they HEAR okay just cannot understand the words. And in a restaurant or in a crowd when someone is trying to talk to you, no hearing device can FIX THAT, and I have had them all! BUT I do thank God for the technology that allows me to hear and understand my wife and others one on one, it is a blessing of God....

I even have a pastor I can understand which is one of the best things since my Cochlear implants. I could understand bro TAnksley , our former pastor in Florida also. His replacement, Bro George's voice frequency or pattern doesn't fit my head. I do understand his wife, but she doesn't do the preaching. LOL

Hearing is very complicated.BUT if people speak louder and you understand them, then the cheapo (hearing aids) will usually do the job.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/21/18 3:27 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic