Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

interesting GA proposal/motion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post interesting GA proposal/motion aprilmay2.0
there is a motion that basically says all Admin Bishops must have served 5years as senior pastor in order to be qualified.

By that stipulation, who among the current AB's would not be qualified to serve?
Friendly Face
6/20/18 9:46 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
... [Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/20/18 10:48 am

Post My knee jerk reaction? roughridercog
I wonder who someone is wanting to stop from becoming an AB

I don't look for this to pass
6/20/18 1:54 pm

Post Youth Directors Bowtat
I know that the question is about a few guys who have come up through the youth director track that have been moved into state work. Friendly Face
6/20/18 2:32 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I could be mistaken, of course, but it sounds to me like they want to make it possible for someone who is elected to national office without having at least five years’ experience in the local pastorate to be able to appointed as a state overseer. I’m not sure how I feel about that yet. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/20/18 2:52 pm

Post Travis Johnson
From Dr. Dan Tomberlin in the Excellent Ministers forum:

6/20/18
At the 2012 General Assembly of the Church of God I offered a motion relative to the qualifications of Administrative Bishops (see link). The motion was referred to committee and eventually fell into a black hole. I am happy to see a version of that motion on the agenda for the 2018 General Assembly (Item XIX). I am hopeful that some version of this motion will pass.

—————
—————
http://www.danieltomberlin.net/reflections-on-the-state-overseers-qualifications-report/

JULY 13, 2014 BY DANIEL TOMBERLIN
Reflections on the “State Overseers Qualifications Report”
Warning – this blog entry concerns an agenda item for the Church of God International General Assembly in Orlando. It most likely will be of little interest to many readers. (-:

At the 2012 General Assembly of the Church of God in Orlando, I presented the following motion:

That we amend page 100, S21. STATE OVERSEERS, II. Qualifications, by adding the following as paragraph 6:

6. Must have at least 10 years experience as a local church pastor (This motion will not affect those under current appointment).

The motion was referred to a committee for recommendations to be brought back to the International General Council in 2014.

I offered the motion out of a concern for a practice in our church – that of appointing Regional Bishops who have “little to no” pastoral experience. Most of our Regional Bishops are being appointed from the ranks of state youth directors or denominational administrators. Therefore, the pastorate is dismissed as inconsequential for leaders of our church.

The “State Overseers Qualification Report” has been delivered to the registered delegates to the 2014 General Council. The report does not address the motion. Instead, the report dismisses “mere prequalifiers” as inadequate. I find this to be contrary to the Biblical mandate that “Bishops” must meet certain qualifications. The report presents the need to “return to an apostolic role were mentoring, coaching, and church planting is part of the vision and mission of the office.” This I applaud. It seems to me that this is quite close to the ministry of the pastor. If we are going to “return to an apostolic role” then it would seem that several years in the pastorate would be a primary qualification for a person who is to be appointed as bishop of churches and pastors.

According to our polity, the only “prequalifier” for the office of state/regional administrative bishop is to be an “ordained bishop,” the highest level of credentialed ministry in the Church of God. A former general overseer once told me that “the only qualification for state overseer in the Church of God is three votes from the executive committee.”

I suggest the Biblical “prequalifiers” are where we should begin – integrity, familial fidelity, honorable, beneficent, temperate, educated, and experienced (1 Timothy 3:1ff). See here.

Instead, it seems to me that the committee’s report and recommendations will continue the process of selecting leaders with little or no pastoral experience. This means that the gulf between the local church and denominational leadership will continue. There will be no return to an apostolic role for our leadership. Rather, the bureaucratization of the Church of God will be canonized.

The committee’s recommendations are in the General Council agenda. Let’s be prayerful and judicious in our deliberations.
Acts-dicted
6/20/18 5:38 pm

Post I don't like the whole "national office" exemption... Aaron Scott
It smacks of trying to provide make is such that those who got to national office without the requisite pastoral experience can still be placed.

I have a feeling the pastors on the floor will take that one out.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/20/18 5:41 pm

Post Why would you not ... Mat
Why would you not want your successful pastors to lead other pastors? Denominational leaders who have been appointed and have no pastoral experience can often be compared to hybrids - good for some applications, but often sterile. Some such appointed leaders do not understand the complexity of being a pastor of a church, and often view churches/pastors as a commodity to be managed for the benefit of the the denominational structure. This forum is rift with complains concerning leadership in regards to such issues.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
6/20/18 7:45 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
How could someone possibly lead/counsel/mentor pastors if he has never been one?

Seems like a no brainer to me...but hey, I'm just a woman. Laughing Laughing (That was a joke, fellas.)
6/20/18 9:55 pm

Post Like a man writing a book on mothering ... Mat
Carolyn Smith wrote:
How could someone possibly lead/counsel/mentor pastors if he has never been one?

Seems like a no brainer to me...but hey, I'm just a woman. Laughing Laughing (That was a joke, fellas.)

[list=]

Someone leading/supervising pastors who has never been a pastor seems like a man writing a book on mothering - its all theory and he's lacking the equipment for it.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
6/21/18 6:49 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
I also see the requirement to have been a pastor a certain amount of time a no brainer.

And make it a 4 year grace period - then it is retroactive...no exemptions.

This goes along with letting the states choose men from among themselves - as they know the state better than an outsider.

Which goes along with the idea that one day - state leaders will be bivocational. I have never understood state overseers traveling the country or the world while in office. If they are needed that little in their state - then they need to combine with other states - or be bivocational.
6/21/18 7:09 am

Post skinnybishop
This is a step in the right direction. But I think there is a bigger question to address. Exactly how are "first time" state overseers chosen? Where do those candidates come from? Is there a secret online application?

Of course there isn't a known, formal process and that's my point.

The same issue exists with State youth directors. How is a person a youth pastor one day, and a state youth director, 4 states over, the next?

I've never understood why that process is so murky.

Need a AB, YD, or even a pastor?
1. Establish qualifications
2. List openings online
3. Accept resumes
4. Interview candidates
5. Choose leader.

That exact process may not always work, for every position...but my point stands: Let's clarify the leadership selection process.
6/21/18 8:40 am

Post Eddie Robbins
This would have eliminated my father-in-law, Charles Conn. Acts-pert Poster
6/21/18 1:16 pm

Post diakoneo
skinnybishop wrote:
This is a step in the right direction. But I think there is a bigger question to address. Exactly how are "first time" state overseers chosen? Where do those candidates come from? Is there a secret online application?

The same issue exists with State youth directors. How is a person a youth pastor one day, and a state youth director, 4 states over, the next?

2. List openings online
3. Accept resumes
4. Interview candidates
5. Choose leader.

That exact process may not always work, for every position...but my point stands: Let's clarify the leadership selection process.

YES! 100% agree. Whether pastor or not, experience or not...clarification of qualifications is the most important thing.

Seems the biggest qualification is WHO you know! Shocked
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
6/21/18 2:35 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Eddie Robbins wrote:
This would have eliminated my father-in-law, Charles Conn.

Different era.

The way we did things in the 40s and 50s is not necessarily how it should be done now. Don't you agree?
6/21/18 2:40 pm

Post Cojak
Eddie Robbins wrote:
This would have eliminated my father-in-law, Charles Conn.

YOu made a point, however if the ones appointed had possessed the common sense and abilities of Charles Conn the subject would not have come up. That is my opinion. Bro. Conn was an exception to many rules.....

Funny that... I was hearing and understanding words in the COG from about 1944 until today and I never heard one word negative about the man Conn! Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/21/18 2:43 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
I feel sure there is a formal process for these procedures; it's just not known to us. Maybe aprilmay with all of his/her "intimate knowledge" could enlighten the little people.

I've always thought the ABs & YDs are appointed by the IEC/Council of 18, and it's a process whereby they choose the ministers they feel are most qualified. Since they hold these top positions, they would be privy to information about these ministers and have an idea if they are qualified.

Again, if ministers want to change these processes, isn't there a formal way to suggest it, i.e., motions to the GA?
6/21/18 3:28 pm

Post Re: interesting GA proposal/motion Hill-billy

Last edited by Hill-billy on 6/22/18 3:10 am; edited 2 times in total
6/22/18 1:00 am

Post Hill-billy
skinnybishop wrote:

2. List openings online
3. Accept resumes
4. Interview candidates
5. Choose leader.

This needs to happen in the youth director slots. I am not a fan of the senior pastor requirement too many good people in the ranks that served as associates or worked there way up. But we do need to de-murk the selection process. The bishop’s son in law becoming state director of Michigan with little admin experience I know has soured a lot of people.
6/22/18 1:07 am

Post FLRon
Hill-billy wrote:
skinnybishop wrote:

2. List openings online
3. Accept resumes
4. Interview candidates
5. Choose leader.

This needs to happen in the youth director slots. I am not a fan of the senior pastor requirement too many good people in the ranks that served as associates or worked there way up. But we do need to de-murk the selection process. The bishop’s son in law becoming state director of Michigan with little admin experience I know has soured a lot of people.

Son in law doesn’t need any experience. AB Father in law has anointed him therefore he is golden. Someone’s back just got scratched, in other words it’s business as usual in the cog!
6/22/18 4:57 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic