Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

How refreshing Campmeeting would be
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post How refreshing Campmeeting would be krista
if the "greenroom" were done away with.
If the leaders and speakers could move out from their front row and mingle some with the people.
If all the time to mention the speakers Children and grand children were put to better use. And accomplishments of each speaker was kept to a minimum.
How it would instill confidence in our leaders if at the end of the service, they came out and greeted people.and moved from the front.
If the special meal prepared for the State council and speakers after the service was not mentioned at the end of the service.
I love Camp meeting, but I hate that part of it. And it seems to never change.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
6/24/18 11:18 am

Post Re: How refreshing Campmeeting would be FLRon
krista wrote:
If the leaders and speakers could move out from their front row and mingle some with the people.
If all the time to mention the speakers Children and grand children were put to better use. And accomplishments of each speaker was kept to a minimum.
How it would instill confidence in our leaders if at the end of the service, they came out and greeted people.and moved from the front.
If the special meal prepared for the State council and speakers after the service was not mentioned at the end of the service.

Further evidence of an "us vs. them" heirarchy.
6/24/18 12:07 pm

Post diakoneo
I have heard it from the pulpit...
There are no "big I's or little u's"
"We need to invert the pyramid"

What I have seen and experienced first hand is there ARE big "I"s and little "u"s. The pyramid stays the same because those on the top don't want to be on the bottom.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
6/24/18 2:55 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
The green room has never bothered me, but it wouldn’t bother me if they got rid of it.

At our campmeeting (New Mexico/El Paso) the leaders and speakers do mingle with the people after service. Of course, our crowds are minuscule in comparison to big states in the Southeast. I think the biggest campmeeting crowd I have seen in the 5 years I’ve been out here was maybe 150 in one service. I would imagine it would be difficult at best for visiting speakers to mingle very extensively with a big crowd.

I would like to see more zeal for getting to the actual preaching AND for the preaching in particular (as well as campmeeting in general) to be actually geared towards what campmeeting originally was meant to be geared towards—Revival and awakening. Much of the time, it seems to me that campmeeting is geared towards encouraging discouraged pastors, which is of course a needful thing, but in my view there are very few things in this world more encouraging than real revival preaching.

I get the impression in our state that the after-service meal is mainly to save time and money. I have thought about how it might be nice, if we had sufficient facilities, to offer the meal after each service to anyone who may want to fellowship, perhaps for a small price to cover costs. I know my wife and I would prefer that over trying to find a restaurant or order a pizza to our room after service. I suppose they would need to know beforehand how many they would be serving meals to, and whether they had sufficient seating available.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/24/18 5:53 pm

Post Used to be that way... Aaron Scott
Back in the day--at least at the Florida Campmeeting--the state leaders and the speakers were there to enjoy the praise and worship, etc. (I haven't been able to attend in some years, but I presume that is still how it is.)

While I don't mind the introduction and mentions of accomplishments, my "pet peeve" is the LOOOOONNNGGG offerings that used to take place. It often was not uncommon for an offering to take at least 30 minutes--sometimes more!--as the men assigned to receive the offering wanted to be the one that brought in the biggest offering. Can't blame them for trying, of course--and not everyone (thank the Lord!) did a long, drawn-out one. Some were quite enjoyable. But then there were those other ones.... Yeah, I was good if we didn't have it done like that.

And, back in the day, after the night service, those in attendance could go to the cafeteria and have cake and coffee or the such. Usually not a full meal, but a little something. Now, I don't recall if the leaders and speakers came, but it was a joy to gather round with old friends and enjoy the fellowship the the Church of God is so well known for.

Wouldn't hurt my feelings if we made sure we did it all this way again. But I know that times have changed...and while I am, sooner or later, on my way out, others are on the way in. I'll just have to adjust.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/24/18 6:27 pm

Post Re: How refreshing Campmeeting would be skinnybishop
krista wrote:

Several years ago, our state had an "invitation only" reception after the service. I mean there was literally a sign in front of the room that said "Invitation only" It was also printed on the program and placed on the video screen. A very real effort was made to let people know they were not wanted. Smh
6/24/18 7:44 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
The green room at our campmeeting is only used for prayer right before worship begins. The state overseer and all guests are in the front row of the sanctuary before the worship music begins. They are usually still in the green room visiting or praying before the scheduled start time for the service, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen any of our speakers or officials miss any portion of the service here in NM/EP. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/24/18 10:50 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Campmeeting is old and tired.

I truly used to love campmeeting. I even thought about going to one night this year.

But I thought about the waste of time that takes place - much like Krista mentions. I stayed home instead...because now I can keep up with my friends through social media and don't need to see them once a year like campmeeting provided - which we put up with the wastes of time in the day - because it was our only chance to catch up with our friends but - no need to do so anymore.

It makes me sad.

It's just the way it is.
6/25/18 8:21 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
My wife and kids and I rarely enjoyed anything about Florida Campmeeting but we thoroughly enjoy New Mexico Campmeeting every time. We did enjoy campmeeting in Michigan. Perhaps it all comes down to the size of the state. Maybe having several smaller regional campmeetings in big states would be better. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/25/18 8:31 am

Post krista
Just as a follow up. I really do love Camp meeting. And I am big on respecting those who are our leaders. Actually starstruck when I do speak with one.LOL.
But if you are a Speaker at a Campmeeting....If you are a State Overseer or State Council member, just know that there is a lot of talk going on about how these Camp meetings are being done.
The Green room was never a good idea. State Overseer, just let these guys show up and be with the rest of us. because there is a sense of superiority, when they rarely leave the front of the auditorium.
Also, our facility has a kitchen and cafeteria, where things simple can be served to all that want to partake. Not for just a few.
Our Overseer sent out a letter asking Churches to donate X amount of dollars because we were short of money to fund the Camp meeting, yet meals are catered to serve the Speakers, council members and wives.
I stuck around camp meeting till one of the last to leave and never saw one Speaker. Well, I did see they were on the front row.
People are getting tired of this. One day it will end if this continues.
LEADERS....just show up and do you job and love us, like you preach that we love.
P.S. If you are a council member receiving the evening offering, your mini-sermons are getting old. I wonder how many people put their offering back in their pockets about half way through your 20 sermon?

Last edited by krista on 6/25/18 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
6/25/18 12:16 pm

Post NBF...oddly enough Aaron Scott
Nature Boy Florida wrote:

I truly used to love campmeeting. I even thought about going to one night this year.

But I thought about the waste of time that takes place - much like Krista mentions. I stayed home instead...because now I can keep up with my friends through social media and don't need to see them once a year like campmeeting provided - which we put up with the wastes of time in the day - because it was our only chance to catch up with our friends but - no need to do so anymore.

It makes me sad.

It's just the way it is.

NBF, you and I got back to a time when campmeeting was REALLY campmeeting. But oddly enough, my dad, who is more old-school than either of us, indicated that he thought the Florida campmeeting was "great" this time.

I wish I could have attended, but since I can't work and attend both, living over 200 miles from Wimauma, I just have to content myself with testimonies.
6/25/18 12:25 pm

Post Can I add my pet peeve? Ernie Long
I have been to churches where the pastor was a campmeeting speaker in others states and every one of them have made the same statement from their pulpits, "I preached in such and such campmeeting this week and I'm glad it is over with."

I'm sitting there thinking of the pastors in those states that would give anything to be able to preach in a campmeeting, but these guys come off like it's a big hindrance to them to preach at one.

If it's such a burden, there is a little phrase they could tell that states overseer or whoever is in charge of recruiting campmeeting speakers and that is, "No thanks"
Acts Enthusiast
6/25/18 6:19 pm

Post Re: Can I add my pet peeve? SouthFloridaman
Ernie Long wrote:
I have been to churches where the pastor was a campmeeting speaker in others states and every one of them have made the same statement from their pulpits, "I preached in such and such campmeeting this week and I'm glad it is over with."

I'm sitting there thinking of the pastors in those states that would give anything to be able to preach in a campmeeting, but these guys come off like it's a big hindrance to them to preach at one.

If it's such a burden, there is a little phrase they could tell that states overseer or whoever is in charge of recruiting campmeeting speakers and that is, "No thanks"

Great point brother Ernie,
If campmeeting is such a burden for the officials why are so few pastors on the camp meeting rosters. We have every official from here to Cleveland, but we won’t ask a cog pastor to speak at the event unless they are former official or Council of 18. We even pull pastors from other origizations. I am not against the other pastors coming. But is the cog afraid of what our own may have to to say. Or is there voice a competition for their seat of power?
Friendly Face
6/25/18 6:43 pm

Post Hmmm a challenge roughridercog
Next summer let's all go back to 60s style camp meeting. Outdoor tabernacle, everyone in suits, one song leader, selling the paperback songbooks, coffee and hot dogs at the canteen, sleeping in tents, four services a day, wooden folding chairs and lawn chairs set up around the tabernacle, and old fashioned preaching.

Gotta stop. I'm getting nostalgic. Laughing

It would bring out fresh complaints at least. Laughing

By the way, camp meeting would be all week and all the churches in the area should cancel services to enable their people to drive to camp meeting for Sunday morning service.

Sigh....ah the good old days. Laughing
6/26/18 8:05 am

Post Re: Hmmm a challenge Dave Dorsey
roughridercog wrote:

Honestly, other than the sleeping in tents and sweating to death outside in a suit, that sounds pretty great.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/26/18 8:58 am

Post Re: Hmmm a challenge roughridercog
Dave Dorsey wrote:
roughridercog wrote:

Honestly, other than the sleeping in tents and sweating to death outside in a suit, that sounds pretty great.

Okay, you can sleep in your truck camper and wear leisure suits. Laughing
6/26/18 1:21 pm

Post Maybe campmeeting is down because SouthFloridaman
Maybe campmeeting is down because we don’t have our pastors preach it. Friendly Face
6/26/18 2:14 pm

Post MrSippi
Nature Boy Florida wrote:

It makes me sad.

It's just the way it is.

Mississippi Campmeeting was absolutely wonderful this year. I also drove over to Alabama campmeeting on Friday night. It was packed that night. There were lots of young people and the altar service was very powerful. I also hear that South Carolina, Tennessee, and South Georgia camp meetings were full of energy and life. I watched several of the mission state campmeeting services online (New Mexico, Midlands, and Minnesota). Some of my friends were preaching services in those meetings. Some really great preaching and services. I don't think campmeeting is dead. I think it depends on the culture of that particular state.
Friendly Face
6/26/18 4:18 pm

Post Da Sheik
Camp Meeting for many years has become the “exhort the discouraged pastor” seminar. Not saying it’s not needful but that’s what our state’s camp meetings have devolved into. The ratio of clergy to laity is quite disproportionate. I hope it’s different wherever you live. Acts Enthusiast
6/26/18 7:31 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
I haven't attended campmeeting regularly for several years. It's not really conducive for laity that work anymore, with the services starting earlier every year, which was 6:30 this year.

The main reason I stopped attending was that I was really hurt one year I went. My husband was still very sick at that time, all the burden was pretty much on me, and I was really hurting and discouraged. The message was very much "for me," speaking about strengthening the hands that hang down (Heb 12:12). Dennis McGuire preached that night.

And so I went to the altar, really burdened and needing that strengthening, and all of these pastors that knew me from our ministering in their churches or that I've known most of my life all gave me a 2 second bop on the head or a "Bless her, Lord!" and not even ONE PERSON except my friend that came with me really prayed with me as I stood there and wept. I didn't go back for years - my loss, but it definitely affected me.

Pastors, please take the time to really pray for people that are hurting. It matters.

Having said that, I was in the hospital over our ENC Campmeeting this year, but I was able to watch some of the services online, which was really a blessing. Jentezen Franklin preached a really good message on Monday night and also shared about receiving his calling to preach right there in the ENC tabernacle as a 16 year old (and how God confirmed the call to preach as he had asked the Lord to do.) He was supposed to sign books after the service but told the AB that he didn't want to do that. He just wanted to mingle with the people. And he did.

I also enjoyed Mitchell Tolle Sr on Wednesday night. He spoke about his grandkids a lot in his message, including a delightful sermon about Samson his 5 year old (?) granddaughter preached for Jr. Talent.

Officials sat on the front row with their wives sitting behind them.

Campmeeting is like a lot of other things. It is what we make of it. If you're looking for problems, they're there. Better to focus on the good things and receive whatever blessing you can. I thought ENC's was top notch this year.
6/26/18 10:55 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic