Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Christians who kill themselves (L)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Christians who kill themselves (L) Dean Steenburgh
https://www.crosswalk.com/video-q-a/if-a-christian-commits-suicide-do-they-still-go-to-heaven.html

I've had the difficult conversation with far too many over the last few years.
20 years ago it was hardly ever an event but nowadays it is more common ...sad.

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
5/19/18 7:40 pm

Post Cojak
Most of us have thought of this over and over. My take is GOD is love. He is a wonderful and caring father. He sees much deeper than we do.

One of the wisest people I have ever known and a Christian was my Mother. "Will I go to Hell?" I asked after yet another 'Revival and My salvation... again'.

"I know your heart son, I would never hurt you." stopping to look this 12 year old in the eye, "God is your heavenly FAther, he is a good father and would never hurt his children. Who goes to hell? Son only God decides that, but remember, He loves and cares for his children."

"One day you may be a father and know the love for your children, then you may understand how God can put up with us."

I have always thought someone committing suicide is not in their right mind and not responsible for their actions. Right of wrong that has been my feelings.
Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
5/19/18 9:47 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
The great thing about eternal security—it’s truly unconditional. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/19/18 10:39 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
When I was a backslidden drunk at age 21, lost as the proverbial goose in a snowstorm, at the end of my rope emotionally, I anonymously called a Baptist pastor and asked him, “If I kill myself, where will I end up, in Heaven or in Hell?” He replied, “That depends on whether or not you’re saved.”

While his logic was certainly consistent with his doctrine, I for one am so glad I wasn’t persuaded. Who wouldn’t prefer the beauty of Heaven over alcoholism and severe depression with suicidal thoughts? All these nearly 30 years later, I still don’t regret deciding he was wrong and that deciding not to end it all was the right choice.

I had a first cousin who committed suicide at age 18. His mother still grieves the loss to this day, even though she believes he went to Heaven.

I do believe a good argument can be made that in cases where one has lost one’s mind, God knows all things, and will certainly take that into account when judging our lives. I knew of a man once who started behaving radically out of character for him. He eventually successfully took his own life. Upon autopsy, it was found that he had been suffering from a terrible brain-wasting disease, the symptoms of which perfectly accounted for his bizarre behavior prior to his death. It is hard to imagine that God would not consider such mitigating factors in such cases.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/19/18 10:51 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Believers in Christ go to Heaven. I see NO difference in the man who pulls the trigger and ends it all and the man who eats himself to death. Acts-pert Poster
5/20/18 7:38 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Personal responsibility, yes. A lady unintentionally running over and killing a child who darted out into the street before she could stop is really a murderer, right? [Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/20/18 10:23 am

Post Eddie Robbins
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Personal responsibility, yes. A lady unintentionally running over and killing a child who darted out into the street before she could stop is really a murderer, right?

No, that is an accident. Apples and oranges.
Acts-pert Poster
5/20/18 12:57 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
A lot of folks are obese due to ignorance. Very few intend to eat themselves to death. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/20/18 1:22 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
A lot of folks are obese due to ignorance. Very few intend to eat themselves to death.

Very true. But, there are many that know it. Once they know it and continue, it’s killing yourself. If they are Christian, they have eternal life even though they killed themselves, imho. It would be like if the lady intentionally ran over the child. Why is smoking wrong? Because we know that it kills. If you continue to smoke, you are killing your self. The same for eating those things you know will eventually kill you.

Last edited by Eddie Robbins on 5/20/18 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-pert Poster
5/20/18 4:28 pm

Post I watched a movie that (I eventually found out) was about Carlton Pearson.... Aaron Scott
In an attempt to defend his view (even though I'm pretty sure that no one here agrees with him), he said something that not only made sense, but gave me pause: "Are we more merciful than God?"

Would you or I forgive someone who, obviously in a state of mind that is not at all at their best, takes their life to somehow end the pain? I would forgive that person.

Would you or I forgive someone who, tormented by enormous pain, or the onward creep of utter dementia, takes their life? I would.

Or what about the person who (to use an extreme) was captured by ISIS and, rather than say something that would hurt their reputation...or rather than endure the horrific torture that might come with it all...chose to kill themselves? I'd forgive that person.

We are NEVER GOING TO BE more merciful than a God Who would give His Only Son to rescue the very ones that spit in His Son's face, that plucked out His beard, that demanded His death.

We aren't even on the same planet with that sort of mercy. And if God will do that for SINNERS, how much more will He do it for those who have tried to follow Him?

I dare say that we preach a lot of things that we heard...but we didn't read in the Bible. I don't think Samson went to hell--after all, God actually empowered him to kill himself (along with a few thousand others at the same time). It might be that we base everything on our notion of what happened to Judas?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/20/18 4:31 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
A lot of folks are obese due to ignorance. Very few intend to eat themselves to death.

Very true. But, there are many that know it. Once they know it and continue, it’s killing yourself. If they are Christian, they have eternal life even though they killed themselves, imho. It would be like if the lady intentionally ran over the child. Why is smoking wrong? Because we know that it kills. If you continue to smoke, you are killing your self. The same for eating those things you know will eventually kill you.

The thing about smoking is, you need to completely stop smoking in order to avoid the health risks associated with it. Obesity, as you know, involves a more complicated process of learning to control oneself and put into practice several things, with the goal being not total cessation of eating, but learning how to eat properly, how to exercise properly, drink enough water, avoid sugary drinks, etc. It is not clear to me how being overweight and being a smoker are morally equivalent. I’m not saying smoking is necessarily a sin, either, since the Bible doesn’t address smoking per se. Nor does the Bible ever say that being overweight is a sin.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/20/18 5:24 pm

Post demon hunter
I've enjoyed reading the replies on this as to the different thoughts of suicide and eternity.

The only reply that I've ever gave to a hurting loved one after one of theirs has commited suicide is that, we do know that they are in the hands of a merciful, loving God...
5/31/18 2:44 pm

Post Cojak
demon hunter wrote:
I've enjoyed reading the replies on this as to the different thoughts of suicide and eternity.

The only reply that I've ever gave to a hurting loved one after one of theirs has commited suicide is that, we do know that they are in the hands of a merciful, loving God...

YES WE DO!
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
5/31/18 9:43 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic