Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

If you could teach Business Ethics to a room full of WOFers

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post If you could teach Business Ethics to a room full of WOFers Link
If you could teach Business Ethics to a class full of WOFers and other Charismatics, what would you teach?
5/17/18 3:42 am

Post Re: If you could teach Business Ethics to a room full of WOFers Old Time Country Preacher
Link wrote:
If you could teach Business Ethics to a class full of WOFers and other Charismatics, what would you teach?

Correctly exegeted Scripture………
Acts-pert Poster
5/17/18 8:49 am

Post Re: If you could teach Business Ethics to a room full of WOFers Dean Steenburgh
Link wrote:

From a business standpoint I might suggest that teaching BE to a "class full of WOFers" would not be all that advantageous.
You might want to try Business Morals over ethics because nowadays most ethics are subjected to relativism.
What is ethical where you live may not apply somewhere else.
What is ethical to a Word of Faith minister may not apply to a CoG preacher.
But maybe it does so let's compare.

Some WoF have jets to travel in & so do some CoG preachers.
Some WoF preachers live in mansions & so do some CoG preachers.
Some WoF ministers are multi-millionaires & so are some CoG preachers.

Personally, I have friends who are pastors who are connected to the WoF movement but they are sweet, caring & generous people who love God.
They are not rich, don't own a jet or a mansion but they're still part of the WoF movement.
It's not a sin to be a part of the WoF movement.
It's not a sin to be a part of the CoG.

It's really all relative & subject to your train of thought as it applies to trying to solicit a response on Actscelerate.

Many WoF pastors I know are very content to spend their lives in ministry at the same place for most of their lives.
I've met my share of CoG preachers who will resign their church today to get an appointment at a larger/better church tomorrow ...now which one needs a class to be taught on ethics?

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
5/17/18 12:24 pm

Post Link
I am on the job market, and what I mentioned is a potential real-life scenario I could potentially face down the line. I did not write it as an insult to WOFers, but if that were my audience and I were teaching a business ethics class, it would be interesting to get some input on specifics of the topic as it applies to WOF.

I did give John Wesley as an example of personal financial ethics in a 'secular' business ethics class. When Wesley started earning a decent living as a lecturer, he bought some art for his apartment. But then when a maid delivered something to him in the cold and she was not wearing proper clothing to protect her from the cold, he did not have money to give her to buy a jacket. He felt like he'd robbed her from buying the art. He also lived on about 20 pounds most ofl his life and gave the rest away, even when he was making a huge sum of money. It is a very different view of handling personal wealth from the way the WOFers view things, but also from the way many of us would view these things.

I have never actually taken a specific ethics class, but it was a good experience. I taught a bit about virtue ethics from ancient Greek, Kantian ethics, utilitarian ethics. A lot of text books do not pay much attention to faith as a source of ethics, but I tried to incorporate that and present Jesus' teaching in a positive light, of course.

I was thinking of incorporating a section on ideas related to 'just price', which has partly replaced by Adam Smith type thinking on markets. But I think it would be good for helping business students think through ethical and social justice issues.

For a Christian group, especially, I would like to include something about the parable of the laborers in the vineyard in opposition to the type of reasoning found in equity theory. If you agree to a fair wage, it is not unjust if someone else gets paid more for the same job.

If I do end up at a Christian school that has a number of WOFers (a possibility I may be looking at) and I end up teaching business ethics again, I would like students to think through the issue of to what extent God wants His children to enjoy material possessions. I think that would be good for Pentecostals and just conservative evangelicals in gernal. But some comments on specifics of WOFers would be good to discuss as well.

I also dealt with environmental issues, and the tension between economic development providing for people's needs and destruction of natural resources.
5/18/18 8:01 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic