Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

I'll have you come and preach for me sometime

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post I'll have you come and preach for me sometime Ernie Long
I have been told this numerous times and of course sometime never happens. If you don't want someone to preach for you, do them a favor and don't ask them to preach for you.

I have never asked any pastor if I could come and preach in their church and when I was pastoring, I never told anyone that I would have them come and preach in my church and never follow through with it.

It is very discouraging and disheartening to anyone that is called and has a desire to share God's Word with His people to be asked to come preach, but never told when.

Recently, a pastor in Ohio told me to text him when I was available to come preach for him and he gave me a phone number. When I sent a text to the number, it would never go through. I called the number he had given me and found out it was the church's landline and not his cellphone. I shrugged it off as a mistake, but found out later that it wasn't.

If you don't plan on using someone in your pulpit, then don't lead a person on. I would rather have someone tell me they don't want or need me, than to be given the false hope that I will get to preach at their church.
Acts Enthusiast
5/14/18 9:25 am

Post Re: I'll have you come and preach for me sometime Carolyn Smith
Ernie Long wrote:
I have been told this numerous times and of course sometime never happens. If you don't want someone to preach for you, do them a favor and don't ask them to preach for you.

I have never asked any pastor if I could come and preach in their church and when I was pastoring, I never told anyone that I would have them come and preach in my church and never follow through with it.

It is very discouraging and disheartening to anyone that is called and has a desire to share God's Word with His people to be asked to come preach, but never told when.

Recently, a pastor in Ohio told me to text him when I was available to come preach for him and he gave me a phone number. When I sent a text to the number, it would never go through. I called the number he had given me and found out it was the church's landline and not his cellphone. I shrugged it off as a mistake, but found out later that it wasn't.

If you don't plan on using someone in your pulpit, then don't lead a person on. I would rather have someone tell me they don't want or need me, than to be given the false hope that I will get to preach at their church.

Some pastors must seem there is a different moral code for them. That comes dangerously close to lying.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/14/18 9:35 am

Post Da Sheik
It is disheartening when people don’t follow through on their words. I’m not sure if you are in between assignments at the moment but I would encourage you to network as much as you can if you’re looking for opportunities to preach. The old adage “out of sight, out of mind” rings true. Advertise your availability on social media. You can also do interim pastor work for those churches without a pastor. Acts Enthusiast
5/14/18 11:14 am

Post Cojak
Have you ever applied for a job and the interviewer is all praise for you and your resume'. As you leave you know you have the job. He (or she) has practically said so, but they are obligated to talk to one more applicant, but they do not look promising.
The phone doesn't ring, later you finally call them. "Oh, I'm sorry I thought you were notified, we filled that position."

There are people who think they are doing youa favor by all the accolades, but do not have the ability to say, "You look good, but YOU will not fit!" OR "The boss has a nephew who WILL GET this job!"

I would think in the case of preachers/pastors it is good intentions to help boost your feelings, not thinking of the let down later. AND yes it hurts.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
5/14/18 11:56 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Cojak wrote:
Have you ever applied for a job and the interviewer is all praise for you and your resume'. As you leave you know you have the job. He (or she) has practically said so, but they are obligated to talk to one more applicant, but they do not look promising.
The phone doesn't ring, later you finally call them. "Oh, I'm sorry I thought you were notified, we filled that position."

There are people who think they are doing youa favor by all the accolades, but do not have the ability to say, "You look good, but YOU will not fit!" OR "The boss has a nephew who WILL GET this job!"

I would think in the case of preachers/pastors it is good intentions to help boost your feelings, not thinking of the let down later. AND yes it hurts.

Right on Cojak. This is what is really happening.
Honesty is the best policy. Brutal honesty if necessary.

Such as - "you look good for that state youth director job - you have all of the prerequisites...but an overseer's son needs a job - so you are out of luck."
5/14/18 3:33 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic