Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Associated Press (AP) Stylebook: "Use the title Dr. only if the individual has an earned doctoral degree."

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Associated Press (AP) Stylebook: "Use the title Dr. only if the individual has an earned doctoral degree." Old Time Country Preacher
From the Associated Press Stylebook of Writing:

Page 80: Do not use Dr. before the names of individuals who hold only honorary doctorates.

Page 120: Do not use Dr. before the name of an individual whose only doctorate is honorary.

Page 221: Use the Rev. Dr. only if the individual has an earned doctoral degree.

It's sad indeed when the world will not recognize the honorary doctorate as a legitimate source for the title "Dr.," while preacher boys is callin everbody in their clique "Dr This" an "Dr That." Sad indeed!!!
Acts-pert Poster
5/11/18 6:00 pm

Post yawn JimmieDavis
who cares Friendly Face
5/12/18 6:33 am

Post "Doctor - Doctor - Doctor - Doctor" Goldbergs clip: Link Mat
OTCP,

My wife and I saw this on the TV show "The Goldbergs" and I thought of you. The boys are all planning to become physicians and open a practice together, but for now they just like the title:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlhDIZJ-J-w

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
5/12/18 6:52 am

Post Our Local Paper FG Minister
Our local newspaper was doing a religious story a few years ago and the interviewer told me that although I had a doctorate, they were only allowed to use the title Dr. when referring to a medical doctor. I hadn't asked to be identified as Dr., but found it quite strange that the only doctorate recognized in print, by this newspaper, is in the field of medicine. I asked her why? She said it makes it easier so they don't have to identify which doctorate a person holds. I responded that in most print sources they will either say John Doe, PhD or John Doe, DVM. She agreed, but had no power of persuasion over the corporate ownership. Acts-celerater
5/12/18 7:46 am

Post Re: yawn Old Time Country Preacher
JimmieDavis wrote:
who cares

If ya yawnin just go on to sleep, Jimmie. A lotta folks don't care. But they is a heap what does.
Acts-pert Poster
5/12/18 10:00 am

Post Re: "Doctor - Doctor - Doctor - Doctor" Goldbergs clip: Link Old Time Country Preacher
Mat wrote:
OTCP,

My wife and I saw this on the TV show "The Goldbergs" and I thought of you. The boys are all planning to become physicians and open a practice together, but for now they just like the title:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlhDIZJ-J-w

Mat

Hee Hee, this 50 second clip is hilarious, Mat. Its almost the spittin image of groups a preacher boys at camp meetins, general assemblies, websites, church signs, social media, etc., where everbody an their 3rd cousin claims to have a docterate. Only 2-3% of the US population holds a legitimate PhD. However, amongst preachers, one might kinda git the idea that at percentage is much higher, even 30-50%. Yet, when a feller does the research, he's gonna discover that the number of legitimate PhDs amongst preachers is still way down in the single digits. When ya toss aside all the docterates whats honery, unaccredited, accredited by a unrecognized accrediting agency, ya find out that the larger percentage of fellers usin the title "Dr" is doin so without a legitimate PhD.
Acts-pert Poster
5/12/18 10:14 am

Post OTCP, you might find this interesting: LINKs Mat
OTCP,

You might find this interesting as regards to the COGOP:

https://www.facebook.com/cogopamd/photos/a.280239535686823.1073741828.277278972649546/604480176596089/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/cogopamd/photos/a.280239535686823.1073741828.277278972649546/604478953262878/?type=3&theater

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
5/12/18 11:14 am

Post Re: OTCP, you might find this interesting: LINKs Old Time Country Preacher
Mat wrote:
OTCP,

You might find this interesting as regards to the COGOP:

https://www.facebook.com/cogopamd/photos/a.280239535686823.1073741828.277278972649546/604480176596089/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/cogopamd/photos/a.280239535686823.1073741828.277278972649546/604478953262878/?type=3&theater

Mat

Its real interestin, Mat. Looks like this program is pursuin excellence in academics.
Acts-pert Poster
5/12/18 3:54 pm

Post Re: yawn FLRon
JimmieDavis wrote:
who cares

Yes indeed,who cares about honesty, integrity,and ethical conduct in the ministry? Maybe YOUR standards have been lowered, but thankfully not everyone is at your level.
5/12/18 4:43 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Fake news.
AP regularly gets it wrong.
5/12/18 5:29 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Fake news.
AP regularly gets it wrong.

They probly do, but a heap "title toutin" (i.e., Dr) preachers is regularly gittin it wrong (unethical).
Acts-pert Poster
5/12/18 7:11 pm

Post MoonWalkingWithJesus
In honor of otcp BUMP
6/3/18 2:54 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic