Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

The Turpin 13 (L)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post The Turpin 13 (L) Old Time Country Preacher
Momma seen this program on TV yesterday called "The Turpin 13" It was about a feller from Princeton, WV, what growed up in the COG there. He married a gal in the church, they moved to Texas, then to CA. The daddy was a engineer an made a 6-figure income. They had 13 young'uns, all biological children, an it was found recently they had been keepin em in chains, not feedin em, etc. The oldest was 29. Well, the authorities removed the young'uns from the home and the parents are in jail awaitin trial.

Anybody familiar with the COG Turpin family in WV? Hey, I know it aint no reflection on the rest a the family, but when the program showed the church they growed up in it had our COG emblem on the sign.

Just plain sad!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turpin_case
Acts-pert Poster
4/29/18 1:19 pm

Post Cojak
I read about that about a year ago. It is sad that some journalist must make a point by ensuring the name/denomination of any action or scandal will be known. Sad
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/29/18 9:05 pm

Post Cojak... Aaron Scott
And if a journalist doesn't make the denomination known, OTCP sure will!

This is OLD NEWS, so is the "Soddy Daisy Prophet," but if it stings Pentecostals and the Church of God, OTCP will be sure to remind, remind, and remind everyone.

OTCP, why in the world does it matter about the Turpin family? You said yourself that it isn't a reflection on them, so why bring it up at all? Oh, wait, sorry--answered my own question.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/30/18 7:46 am

Post UncleJD
They were not involved in the COG at the time of all the mess as far as I recall. They had become such government moochers that they had moved state to state like mooching locusts. I don't believe they were involved in ANY church at the end. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/30/18 8:12 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Aaron,
In fairness to Oldtimer - they were only caught in 2018...so it ain't that old.
If it showed a COG sign and he was really watching it - he could have at least taken a screenshot of it.
SO - perhaps we should just label it fake news regarding the COG - and move on.
4/30/18 8:26 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
The show I watched (20/20) showed the outside of the Princeton CoG as the place where the Turpins met, but it in no way blamed the church or the denomination for the turpitude. Instead, it showed that they got into some really bizarre religious stuff in Texas, about the same time they appear to have begun having and abusing their children. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/30/18 9:12 am

Post SouthFloridaman

Here is the link to the 20/20 interview
http://abc.go.com/shows/2020/episode-guide/2018-01/19-011918-2020

Quiet Wyatt is right the 20/20 investigation doesn’t blame the cog at all. It just shows the church as place where they attended as a child.
Friendly Face
4/30/18 1:12 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
The program me an momma seen, "The Turpin 13," was a 2-hour documentary hosted by Soledad O'Brien. Momma had seen it advertised cause the ole timer don't spend much time watchin Oxygen. Momma thought it was some kinda horror story an ast if I'd watch it with her.

www.oxygen.com/the-turpin-13-family-secrets-exposed/crime-time/the-turpin-13-family-secrets-exposed-hosted-by

In referencing the Princeton COG, O'Brien said "It was a Pentecostal church that believed in speaking in tongues and where people attended church 2-3 times a week." It was said in such a way as to be less than complementary. No, the program didn't blame the COG, I don't remember any further reference bein made to the COG after that.

This aired on Sat, April 28, an was the very first time the ole timer had heard of it. So if you boys heard it long ago you must be prophets, cause the news didn't break till Jan 2018.

I made no reference of wrongdoing on the part of the COG or the Turpin family. I don't know any of em. I posted the story cause as I sat there an watched the story it was unbelievable.

Said with much love, "If it offends ya, don't read it."
Acts-pert Poster
4/30/18 3:40 pm

Post SouthFloridaman
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
The program me an momma seen....

Otcp, You are still living at home with momma😉. I’m kidding thanks for the sharing the article praying for all involved.
Friendly Face
4/30/18 4:05 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
What is the Princeton COGs response to being on a national news program?
Should they say nothing - or point out that they kicked their sorry behinds outta the church? (if that is what happened) Who knows? But if that is the only church referenced - then I would say it was cast in a very negative light.
5/1/18 8:42 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
What is the Princeton COGs response to being on a national news program?
Should they say nothing - or point out that they kicked their sorry behinds outta the church? (if that is what happened) Who knows? But if that is the only church referenced - then I would say it was cast in a very negative light.

If another church was referenced in the 2-hour program, the ole timer didn't hear it.
Acts-pert Poster
5/1/18 1:03 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
On 20/20, the Turpins’ personal and family background in the Princeton CoG was a brief, tangential historical reference. The 20/20 show presented a timeline in which essentially, David and Louise eloped and moved to Texas, where they had no church affiliation, did not bring their children up in church, and instead studied several non-Pentecostal movements, as diverse as Mormonism, Mennonite and Catholic beliefs. Somewhere along the way, they apparently came under the influence of the Quiverfull movement. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/1/18 1:52 pm

Post MoonWalkingWithJesus
Wow I also wonder how people can get so messed up.
6/3/18 12:04 am

Post sheepdogandy
Hey! I'm preaching on "messed up people" this morning! Shocked

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/3/18 8:25 am

Post MoonWalkingWithJesus
Lol
6/3/18 2:48 pm

Post georgiapath
I hope they never see the light of day again. Acts-dicted
6/4/18 12:51 pm