Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Really need your prayers

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Really need your prayers Dave Dorsey
I have obsessive-compulsive disorder, which is a chronic mental health condition that results from a biological problem with the way my brain functions. I've been through specialized treatment and for the most part I'm able to manage the disorder and live a normal life. However, due to its chronic nature, sometimes it flares up, and I've been dealing with a bad flare up for the last 2 weeks.

When I'm better, I'd love to answer your questions about OCD and share ways you can help those in your congregations who are suffering with this disorder. 1 in 40 people suffer from OCD at a clinical level, so you probably have at least one in your congregation, and the disorder can be particularly excruciating for people of faith. On top of that, because the disorder is so unknown and misunderstood (for example, it doesn't have to involve things like handwashing, and very few sufferers are preoccupied with symmetry, order, etc), it takes the average person 11 years to seek treatment once they have started to experience the disorder in a way that affects their day to day lives. I'd love to share more with you, like how you can help identify someone that may be suffering and encourage them to get into treatment.

But for now... I really just need your prayers, for healing, for grace, for strength to endure, and for anything else. Thank you very much.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/21/18 5:25 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Praying for you bro.
4/21/18 5:35 pm

Post UncleJD
Praying brother. As a child of a wonderful dad who suffers from bipolar disorder, I can relate a little maybe. I know its important to have a strong family support environment and I hope you do, but even if you don't prayer and the help of Jesus is the most important thing. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/21/18 5:42 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
UncleJD wrote:
Praying brother. As a child of a wonderful dad who suffers from bipolar disorder, I can relate a little maybe. I know its important to have a strong family support environment and I hope you do, but even if you don't prayer and the help of Jesus is the most important thing.

Thank you for being that person to your dad. I do have a strong family support environment, and aside from the Lord of course, it is the most vital thing I have. Thank you for helping your dad have one too.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/21/18 5:48 pm

Post Praying for you, Bro. Dave Aaron Scott
Exclamation Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/21/18 5:59 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Praying for you, Dave. God will give ample grace! Acts-pert Poster
4/21/18 6:32 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Sure thing Dave. As one who has suffered from mental illness myself (primarily depression but far more serious stuff including alcoholism as a young adult), I want to commend you for being transparent with your struggle.

God is able to make all grace abound towards you!
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/21/18 8:00 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
I want to commend you for being transparent with your struggle.

Thank you. I really appreciate that.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/21/18 8:23 pm

Post Da Sheik
Prayers for you Dave. The brain is like any other organ. It always amazes me when people try to reduce mental maladies to demons and such. When our chemicals are out of balance, it’s no different from a pancreas secreting too much or too little insulin. Thank you for your humility and transparency. When I returned home from Vietnam, I battled PTSD (which at the time, no one knew how to diagnose or treat), anxiety, and depression. Acts Enthusiast
4/21/18 8:54 pm

Post Patrick Harris
Praying as well. Acts Enthusiast
4/21/18 9:53 pm

Post Isa 58:12
I stand with everyone hear in prayer for ur deliverance, & i thank the L-rd that He has heard us & He will answer us Ps189:3. Others Ps 3:4, 6:9, 34:4, 99:6, 120:1, 118:21, 5:3, 140:6, 55:17, Jonah 2:2 😉

There are alot more, but write these down on Post-its and put them all over your house so you can see them and speak them every day and stand on them , and I agree with you in them. In Y'shua's Name amein 😇
4/21/18 10:10 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Praying for you brother. Know you are surrounded and undergirded with the love and prayers of family members in Christ. We stand with you.
4/22/18 10:28 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Da Sheik wrote:
It always amazes me when people try to reduce mental maladies to demons and such.

I was hanging out with a pastor friend last week who suffers from severe depression. We were talking about this and he said this view is basically gnosticism. He said, "Yeah, if I was just a spirit, then a spiritual solution is all I would ever need. But I'm not just a spirit." I hadn't considered it from that angle before, and I thought that was pretty profound.

Thanks to everyone for your prayers. Today wasn't perfect, but it was the best day I've had since this started again. Continued prayers are very, very much appreciated.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/22/18 5:26 pm

Post Cojak
Da Sheik wrote:
Prayers for you Dave. The brain is like any other organ. It always amazes me when people try to reduce mental maladies to demons and such. When our chemicals are out of balance, it’s no different from a pancreas secreting too much or too little insulin. Thank you for your humility and transparency. When I returned home from Vietnam, I battled PTSD (which at the time, no one knew how to diagnose or treat), anxiety, and depression.

I appreciate that comment and also am sending up prayers for Dave. The brain is amazing, sweet, and CONFUSING. Also very hard to understand and deal with IN ANOTHER PERSON!
Prayers YES!
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/22/18 9:23 pm

Post Preacher777
[quote="Da Sheik"]Prayers for you Dave. The brain is like any other organ. It always amazes me when people try to reduce mental maladies to demons and such. When our chemicals are out of balance, it’s no different from a pancreas secreting too much or too little insulin. Thank you for your humility and transparency. When I returned home from Vietnam, I battled PTSD (which at the time, no one knew how to diagnose or treat), anxiety, and depression.[/quote

Great message from Da Shiek. I am praying for you Dave. One of the smartest students in my Christian counseling program was a pharmacist. OCD was such a struggle he couldn't work full-time because he wasn't able to hand a patient a prescription without continually counting it.

Dr. Richard Dobbins, founder of Emerge Ministries, has great teachings on Christian counseling. He was an AG pastor whose wife suffered from severe mental illness before counseling was accepted by much of the world let alone the church. Dr. Dobbins was a pioneer in the integration of the Bible with counseling practices. I feel he was much more Bible based than many of today's Christian counselors.
Friendly Face
4/25/18 8:26 am

Post Charles Conn said... Aaron Scott
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Da Sheik wrote:
It always amazes me when people try to reduce mental maladies to demons and such.

I was hanging out with a pastor friend last week who suffers from severe depression. We were talking about this and he said this view is basically gnosticism. He said, "Yeah, if I was just a spirit, then a spiritual solution is all I would ever need. But I'm not just a spirit." I hadn't considered it from that angle before, and I thought that was pretty profound.

Thanks to everyone for your prayers. Today wasn't perfect, but it was the best day I've had since this started again. Continued prayers are very, very much appreciated.

I don't recall the book, but Charles Conn wrote something that has stuck with me for decades. He said that if it is a demon that causes, say, a cold, then orange juice would have no effect on the matter.

There are indeed spiritual oppressions that affect us physically. But in the vast majority of cases, I believe it is simply physical.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/25/18 8:54 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Thanks everyone for your prayers. I've had a couple of good days and a couple of really bad ones. I'm not sure what to expect from here, but I know with the Lord's help I can make it for the long haul.

Continued prayers are greatly appreciated.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/25/18 11:20 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic