Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Amidst Allegations of Misconduct Bill Hybels Resigns from Willow Creek (L)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Amidst Allegations of Misconduct Bill Hybels Resigns from Willow Creek (L) Old Time Country Preacher
www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-hybels-willow-creek-resigns-20180410-story.html Acts-pert Poster
4/14/18 1:19 am

Post JimmieDavis
How appropriate for you to be the one who "uncovers'. Don't you have a Sunday school lesson to prepare for tomorrow Friendly Face
4/14/18 8:46 am

Post philunderwood
Can we try to leave this alone? This has been going on for four years, the back and forth, chirping, redefining incidents that have happened in the past. Bill has, on Tuesday evening, admitted to and underlined the "incidents."

I just happen to share a spiritual father with Bill and have background regarding the anger around the long-time concerns. Here is what IS true and what Bill has used as his reasons for stepping down six months ahead of schedule.

Hybels allegedly made suggestive comments, hugged for too long, gave an unwanted kiss, and invited a staff member into his hotel room. A woman who claimed she had a prolonged consensual affair with Hybels said the claim was false. She called Hybels wife, Lynne, and apologized as well as sent a statement to the elders that she was 'angry at Willow' and trying to exact revenge.

Two primary women, Nancy Beach & Vonda Dyer, had very uncomfortable encounters with Bill in the 1990s. Both handled it, confrontationally, at the time and life moved on for all. No one knew anybody else's story.

Later, when "flirting" with emerging female leaders there was a flurry of discomfort and, again, confrontation. Bill agreed to stop.

These have been labeled as sexual misconduct. Those two words, while technically correct because it was an act of emotional grooming, did not ever include intimate contact, clothed or unclothed.

Over the last year, as the #MeToo movement brought attention to ALL forms of gender intimidation and subtle coersion, Willow Creek leadership appropriately responded with their own offer to help women. Here is there statement...

The #metoo movement crosses all cultures, religions, and genders. If you’ve been sexually harassed or harmed, your pain matters—to us and to God.

Call Willow Creek to speak with a response pastor, who can hear your story, pray with you, and provide counselor referrals for a licensed therapist near you. 847-765-5000, 9 a.m.-5 p.m., M-F | help.willowcreek.org

When this happened, after the back door negotiations, explorations, investigations and accusations - with no relief for those bringing their concerns and experiences - it began to leak. By March 15 the leak was turning into a flood of uncontrolled stories.

The Chicago Tribune, which had sat on this story forever out of respect for WCCC, finally felt they could break the story. It took less than a month for Bill to admit to his pattern, naivete (his description) and insensitivity. For that, and to remove himself from the day-to-day hindrance of his presence, he resigned last weekend and announced it Tuesday night.

It's OVER. What goes on from here may be for us to observe but not to editorialize, pound our bully pulpit or sensationalize. This hurts. Be compassionate toward the members of the church, the women who feel maligned, the Hybels family who are marginalized and scared and for Bill, whose anointing and influence before, during and after, is unique and real.

We do NOT KNOW what we do not know. What we do know, the Bible way is to not be involved if we are not a part of the solution. Don't use this to feel better about ourselves. A revelation of brokenness, sin, failure, etc is to be met with a spirit of meekness...not bravado, know-it-all or I-told-you-so.

Just be quiet. I wrote Bill last night. I feel his pain. I have taken advantage of women and had to face it. My message to him, "I love you. I do not excuse you, but I love you."

One thing I do know is that in our tribe, the Kingdom of God, there is precedence - in this life - for resurrection.

Discover More...
http://www.refocusing.org

A Mission in Formation
www.bluewaterinthekeys.com
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
4/14/18 9:29 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
OTCP didn’t uncover nothin, I had never heard any a these allegations till yesterday when I seen this article. Acts-pert Poster
4/14/18 9:38 am

Post philunderwood
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
OTCP didn’t uncover nothin, I had never heard any a these allegations till yesterday when I seen this article.

Never mind. After I posted my thoughts I opened an email with this message. Conviction grasped me.

Quote:
Have you ever noticed how certain individuals who follow after Me can be some of the biggest naysayers and pessimists around? Be careful that you do not judge them. Be full of Me in every aspect of your lifespan. You are neither too young, nor too old to experience the fullness of all that I AM! May you be wholly immersed and absorbed with triumphant festivities, no matter what situations rise up.

Philippians 4:4 (TPT) "Be cheerful with joyous celebration in every season of life. Let joy overflow, for you are united with the Anointed One!"

Discover More...
http://www.refocusing.org

A Mission in Formation
www.bluewaterinthekeys.com
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
4/14/18 9:42 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
I was never a Hybels follower, so this is also the first time I saw any of this. The metoo movement has redefined the terms of men and women interaction. No longer can questionable behavior get a pass...in fact, it has folks reexamining past indiscretions. As a whole, I am pleased with the movement. It shows that the VP was ahead of the curve in how to deal with interacting with the opposite sex.

Last edited by Nature Boy Florida on 4/14/18 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Acts-pert Poster
4/14/18 9:57 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
It is terrible to hear this. I was never a strong follower of Hybels’ ministry, but these revelations are a real shame to evangelical Christianity.

In my opinion, since this has been reported in the tribune, in Christianity Today, and even on Willow Creek’s own website, it is not somehow malicious gossip to post a link to it here.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/14/18 9:59 am

Post He who ... Mat
Someone said, "He who calls you god today with call you devil tomorrow."

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
4/14/18 10:07 am

If the same thing happened to John MacArthur an OTCP posted a link, nothin woulda been said. Phil, JimmieD an a few others post ad hominem per the ole timer ever chance they got. Not to worry, I stopped eatin hominy a long time ago. Acts-pert Poster
4/14/18 12:03 pm

Post No, OTCP.... Aaron Scott
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
If the same thing happened to John MacArthur an OTCP posted a link, nothin woulda been said. Phil, JimmieD an a few others post ad hominem per the ole timer ever chance they got. Not to worry, I stopped eatin hominy a long time ago.

OTCP, you have certainly earned some of the comments against you.

You have, over and over, posted videos or comments that mock men of God who, even if they were wrong, deserve better than you trying to show how wrong they are.

Even Joseph sought to put away Mary privily. You like to do it with maximum effect and exposure.

No, it's not wrong to just post the news (after all, we'd have seen it soon enough, I'm sure). But when you have developed a reputation for taking digs as ministers--especially Pentecostals--you might want to consider how much God is pleased with the reputation.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/14/18 4:45 pm

Post Poor little thing OTCP JimmieDavis
You are an accuser. Which puts you in dark company. You don’t have details. YOur post is half the story, which is fitting for half a man Friendly Face
4/14/18 6:33 pm

Post Re: No, OTCP.... Old Time Country Preacher
Aaron Scott wrote:

No, it's not wrong to just post the news (after all, we'd have seen it soon enough, I'm sure). But when you have developed a reputation for taking digs as ministers--especially Pentecostals--you might want to consider how much God is pleased with the reputation.

Is Hybels Pentecostal?

It isn't classical Pentecostals I have taken to task, Aaron, it is the wacko fringe, those who purport "another Gospel," those who erode truth by erroneously exegeting it.
Acts-pert Poster
4/14/18 7:29 pm

Post Re: Poor little thing OTCP Old Time Country Preacher
JimmieDavis wrote:
You are an accuser. Which puts you in dark company. You don’t have details. YOur post is half the story, which is fitting for half a man

I post one link with absolutely no commentary and I am an accuser? Laughing
Acts-pert Poster
4/14/18 7:30 pm

Post Cojak
This is a sad story. Since I haven't watched the news nor TV in over 20 years I do live under a rock. I have never heard of the man.

It is amazing to me how 'IGNORANT' some very smart men are. I cannot say that enough. IGNORANCE is not an excuse for a man who grows something this big.

I don't know the facts. I don't even know if the OT is right/wrong or what in posting the link. What ever it is, it hasn't changed the fact that a man's family is HURTING.

One of my best Children's stories was entitled, "Be sure your Sins will find you out!" Embarassed Embarassed Many pray for a crop failure, after planting the wrong seeds. Crying or Very sad
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/15/18 8:38 am

Post AOG Divide Mat
In the past decade or so there has been a divide in the AOG concerning the "seeker sensitive movement" verses the "(classical) Pentecostal movement" within the AOG. Some point to the early retirement of one of the General Superintendents due to the "growing" divide. While not comparable to the "Jesus Only" movement which began in and departed from the AOG, there has been a "struggle" of sorts going on.

I wonder how this issue with WCCC (though not AOG) with impact those wanting to embrace the seeker sensitive movement, or have churches moved on to missional headed towards five-fold while on the road of pop culture?

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
4/15/18 11:45 am

Cojak wrote:
I don't even know if the OT is right/wrong or what in posting the link.

Ats just it, Cojak. I is neither right or wrong that OTCP posted the link. As has been stated in this thread, somebody else eventually would have.

If postin the link makes OTCP an "accuser" as one person stated, then not postin the link would make OTCP a supporter of WCCC/Hybels. Of course, neither is true.
Acts-pert Poster
4/15/18 12:12 pm

Post Re: Poor little thing OTCP FLRon
JimmieDavis wrote:
You are an accuser. Which puts you in dark company. You don’t have details. YOur post is half the story, which is fitting for half a man

Wow, just Wow. I can just see a non believer reading such a comment between supposed “Brothers in Christ” shaking their head saying “no way I want any part of that”.

Your “half a man” comment ought to get you banned.
4/15/18 2:36 pm

Post Re: Poor little thing OTCP JimmieDavis
OTCP ought to be banned for comments and conduct unbecoming of a brother. Friendly Face
4/15/18 4:10 pm

Post Re: Poor little thing OTCP Old Time Country Preacher
JimmieDavis wrote:
OTCP ought to be banned for comments and conduct unbecoming of a brother.

Comments/Conduct unbecoming a brother?

Press charges Jimmie, appoint a trial board, let them hear the evidence, then put your fingers in your ears to avoid hearing damage from the 14 decibel laughter. Laughing
Acts-pert Poster
4/15/18 9:45 pm

Post UncleJD
Its very interesting how that when our Vice President is ridiculed for a policy of not even speaking to a woman behind closed doors, a policy shared by my most influential pastors, the same society seems to be actively demonstrating that wisdom of that very policy whether they know it or not. I believe when Paul said to "make no provision for the flesh", this is the very kind of wisdom that precept would impart. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/16/18 8:31 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic