Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Someone DROWNING is not concerned if the rescuer has a degree.

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Someone DROWNING is not concerned if the rescuer has a degree. doyle
Its understood that education is a powerful tool for having a better life and being more productive. Training is important. The right kind of education is an absolute plus.

However, someone drowning is not concerned if the one attempting to rescue them, has a college degree. If someone comes by to rescue them, they are not going to ask, "Do you have a degree?"

In all these many years of ministry, not one time has anyone I was ministering to, in the U.S. or overseas, asked if I had a degree. In the job market, having a degree is often required. It is a signal that one has invested the time and money to be prepared.

One could make the case that the Disciples of Jesus did not have an equivalent to a college degree today. Yet, they changed the world.

One could also say, that the Disciples had been in Jesus College for three years as they learned personally from the Lord Himself. That kind of practical training is incredibly powerful even if it does not come with a degree.

Of course, people should not misrepresent their qualifications by claiming education they do not have. Even in cases where someone has completed enough college-level instruction and training to qualify, they also need temperature with their degree.

Doyle
writedoyle@gmail.com
4/12/18 8:24 am

Post Travis Johnson
True. A drowning person doesn't care if you have a degree. But, a student cares if his teacher has a fake degree.

A church may not care if his pastor has a degree. But, people think you have insecurity issues if you go around touting a fake degree. It's an ethics/integrity issue. I don't understand it why we do that. We don't look smart when we're telling untruths. We don't look courageous when we're acting insecure.

OTCP has been ringing that bell for a long time. He's 100% right.
Acts-dicted
4/12/18 8:31 am

Post Ok Travis JimmieDavis
I’ll be your huckleberry. You also look arrogant, proud and prickish constantly assaulting people’s theology and education all while hiding behind a pen name. This board allows men to have a inflated aNd distorted view of their importance. But if I called myself OTCP and struggled to find a place of validation I would hang out here 13 hours day too. Friendly Face
4/12/18 9:36 am

Post can't believe Im saying this aprilmay2.0
but I'm with travis on this.

the call of the pastor and the christian is closer to a teacher than a lifeguard.

If you don't have a real wife, don't say you have one in hopes to raise your credibility.
If you don't have a real relationship, don't name drop to make yourself look more connected.
if you don't have a real degree don't say you have one to make yourself look more qualified.

Jimmie- assault theology? thats a bit harsh. Why can't adults have adult conversations about theology where they disagree. OTCP rings this bell a lot and frankly Im tired of hearing it, but it doesn't make it less true.

Doyle-I think part of the problem is our theology only leans toward rescuing drowning people and not discipling people. So i suggest you back up and start over.
Friendly Face
4/12/18 9:47 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
I'm a pastor, not a doctor, Jim! (Said in Dr. McCoy's voice)
4/12/18 10:08 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
As a former lifeguard/water safety instructor, I can say that an untrained rescuer could quite possibly do more harm than good, regardless of intentions, and might even result in a double drowning of both the rescuee and the rescuer.

In any case, thorough, accredited training appropriate to the job one does can be essential to a good outcome. Sure, there may be exceptions to the rule, but one is always better off and far more capable of doing a good job if one has been propertly trained beforehand.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/12/18 10:26 am

Post Re: Someone DROWNING is not concerned if the rescuer has a degree. Old Time Country Preacher
doyle wrote:
Its understood that education is a powerful tool for having a better life and being more productive. Training is important. The right kind of education is an absolute plus.

However, someone drowning is not concerned if the one attempting to rescue them, has a college degree. If someone comes by to rescue them, they are not going to ask, "Do you have a degree?"

In all these many years of ministry, not one time has anyone I was ministering to, in the U.S. or overseas, asked if I had a degree. In the job market, having a degree is often required. It is a signal that one has invested the time and money to be prepared.

One could make the case that the Disciples of Jesus did not have an equivalent to a college degree today. Yet, they changed the world.

One could also say, that the Disciples had been in Jesus College for three years as they learned personally from the Lord Himself. That kind of practical training is incredibly powerful even if it does not come with a degree.

Of course, people should not misrepresent their qualifications by claiming education they do not have. Even in cases where someone has completed enough college-level instruction and training to qualify, they also need temperature with their degree.

Doyle
writedoyle@gmail.com

Let's take it a step further. Ifn OTCP was drowndin, an a feller comes by in a boat an says, "hey, I got two unaccredited doctorates an a fake doctorate, do you want me to help you?" OTCP would, without hesitation, say "No thank you." Cause hey, ifn he is out on a boat toutin his questionable credentials, how do I know the rope is secure? How do I know his boat ain't gotta hole in it an once in the boat we both drown, then my legacy is marred for dyin with a unaccredited degree holder? Or still yet, what ifn he posts on Acts an tells everbody how a unaccredited degree holder saved OTCP's life an that somehow validates his life experience doctorate? Mr. Green

Seriously, what Doyle has proposed is apples/oranges in terms of OTCP's ongoing crusade against faulty credentials. Many things can be done in life, and done with excellence, without a degree of any kind. An folk in this context should be commended, honored and respected for what they have done/achieved. Period. A degree had/has nothing to do with their accomplishment. That said, to tout either a milled or unaccredited degree is a different matter entirely.
Acts-pert Poster
4/12/18 2:50 pm

Post Five Purposes for a Local Congregation FG Minister
Rick Warren says there are five purposes for a local church and I see no problem with the list: Evangelism, Discipleship, Ministry (Service), Worship, and Fellowship. Everything we do probably fits in one of these categories. For some of these, having more education could be helpful. An educated minister doesn't need to tout it, it will be evident. He may have an advantage in the area of discipleship for sure; fellowship, not so much. I have several physicians, professors, and other professionals who would not attend our church if I didn't have an education. But it is also appreciated by those who are blue collar workers. If one has studied from a legitimate school, lives a life of prayer, studies, shows empathy, and commits himself to his people, he can be successful at pastoring his church. The degreed pastor may be able to reach people that a non-degreed person may never reach. Acts-celerater
4/26/18 4:29 pm

Post Re: Someone DROWNING is not concerned if the rescuer has a degree. Link
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Let's take it a step further. Ifn OTCP was drowndin, an a feller comes by in a boat an says, "hey, I got two unaccredited doctorates an a fake doctorate, do you want me to help you?" OTCP would, without hesitation, say "No thank you." Cause hey, ifn he is out on a boat toutin his questionable credentials, how do I know the rope is secure? How do I know his boat ain't gotta hole in it an once in the boat we both drown, then my legacy is marred for dyin with a unaccredited degree holder? Or still yet, what ifn he posts on Acts an tells everbody how a unaccredited degree holder saved OTCP's life an that somehow validates his life experience doctorate? Mr. Green

How are you going to live to expose this feller if you don't accept his help?
4/26/18 11:10 pm

Post In defense of OTCP SouthFloridaman
But you should care where they got a degree from if it is from a diploma mill to land a job at the children’s home that requires a PHD for federal funds..... that’s fraud...

Proof degrees still matter in some situations

http://www.themountainpress.com/homepage/smoky-mountain-children-s-home-dissolves-position/article_c15409da-2e1b-5c58-8c52-d2d0577dfcae.html

Don’t be so hillbilly that we don’t notice the fraud among our ranks with the dipoloma mills... you and I both know if you in right with an overseer back in the day and had a fake degree you could go apply for that large church that had a requirement for a pastor with a dr and the overseer would keep his mouth shut. now the unaccredited school isn’t bad as long as they don’t grant phd’s and they make people go though an educational experience. I have paid for mentorship programs in the past and used it on applications. But I never presented that program as a degree the program was a mentorship with a very accomplished ministry.
Friendly Face
4/26/18 11:23 pm

Post Dr. Ray H Huges tryingtofitin
I once heard him say in a sermon, "Education will make you a better whatever you are. If you're a preacher, it will make you a better preacher. If you're a fool, it will make you a better fool." Nuf said..... Friendly Face
4/27/18 5:09 am

Post Re: Someone DROWNING is not concerned if the rescuer has a degree. Nature Boy Florida
Link wrote:
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:

How are you going to live to expose this feller if you don't accept his help?

Haha - that's a goodone Link. I LOLed that one.

Oldtimer: thank you very much - and to all you news media out here - I want to talk about something a lot more serious than my drownin - and that's the bogus degree of that feller that just saved me....
4/27/18 7:44 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic