Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Name-It-Frame-It: Dr. Who? – Televangelists With Fake Educations and Degrees (L)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Name-It-Frame-It: Dr. Who? – Televangelists With Fake Educations and Degrees (L) Old Time Country Preacher
http://dustoffthebible.com/Blog-archive/2015/08/19/dr-who-televangelists-with-fake-educations-and-degrees/

Last edited by Old Time Country Preacher on 4/6/18 6:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Acts-pert Poster
4/5/18 6:34 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Name-It-Frame-It

www.apologeticsindex.org/2794-name-it-and-frame-it-phony-doctorates-in-the-church
Acts-pert Poster
4/5/18 6:40 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Quote:
The diploma mill typically awards its degrees to people who complete a token of easy coursework (one diploma mill reportedly hands out “doctorates” in exchange for the reading of one book and the payment of $600).

Compare this to those who have completed 10-15 years of coursework at an accredited institution and have written and defended a doctoral dissertation.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/5/18 7:00 pm

Post You guys are special! JimmieDavis
This is hilarious. Two men who’ve done nothing of note or consequence in the kingdom of God search the internet for garbage on men of God who’ve changed the world. Dave and otcp, Do either one of you have an earned degree? Earned doctorate? If not I would be quite. If so, it explains your puffed up arrogance. I wish you could both see how irrelevant you are. Friendly Face
4/5/18 7:44 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Takes one to know one, Jimmie. Laughing

I’m currently doing undergrad work at the University of Maryland. I have 40 credits and a 4.0 GPA. But I am not sure why that would matter either way in a discussion about unearned degrees.

I do appreciate the brilliance of your trap. If no, we should shut up, if yes, that explains why we’re apparently so arrogant. Truly special indeed, Jimmie. Laughing
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/5/18 7:54 pm

Post Re: You guys are special! Old Time Country Preacher
JimmieDavis wrote:
This is hilarious. I agree Jimmie, the educational bio of each of the persons named in the two articles is absolutely hilarious. Thanks so much for noticing and bringing attention to the data.

Two men who’ve done nothing of note or consequence in the kingdom of God... I can't speak for Dave, Jimmie, but in 20 years a preachin OTCP has done nothin of note or consequence cept:

1. Strive to faithfully preach God's Word.
2. Live a life holy and acceptable unto God.
3. Pursue ethics/integrity in all areas of Christian living.
4. Take God at his word an discern the spirits to see if they're from God.
5. Expose biblical/theological error.
6. Love my spouse/children.
7. Guard my life from moral impurity

While the name OTCP will never be in neon, I want to hear him say "Well Done."

search the internet for garbage on men of God who’ve changed the world. No sir, this isn't true at all. The issues I address and present have nothing to do with searching the net for garbage on good men; rather, it is about exposing a lack of integrity and perpetrating unethical behavior.

Dave and otcp, Do either one of you have an earned degree? Earned doctorate? If not I would be quite. If so, it explains your puffed up arrogance. Here again, I can't speak for Dave, but OTCP, being the parody of paradigmatic proportion that he is, is the product of his context. Armed with a high school diploma, the Scriptures, and a desire to learn, like ole honest Abe of old, via self-study/reading/research I have learned many things, and do not need to claim a worthless degree in order to have some perceived merit, value or worth.

I wish you could both see how irrelevant you are. I believe Dave is a relevant human being, Jimmie, striving to make a difference within his context. As far as OTCP, living in the midst of 7+ billion souls, I have no doubt that I am very irrelevant. Thank you for the reminder.
Acts-pert Poster
4/5/18 9:37 pm

Post Link
Speaking those things that are not as though they are.

I wonder if that guy in the blue police box faked his doctorate and has been pretending for thousands of years.
4/5/18 10:48 pm

Post Cojak
Well, "I Suwanee"!!! I just had to say that. Never knew what she meant (my strange aunt.), but she said it a lot when she was confused. Confused
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/5/18 10:57 pm

Post Re: You guys are special! GreatONE
JimmieDavis wrote:
This is hilarious. Two men who’ve done nothing of note or consequence in the kingdom of God search the internet for garbage on men of God who’ve changed the world. Dave and otcp, Do either one of you have an earned degree? Earned doctorate? If not I would be quite. If so, it explains your puffed up arrogance. I wish you could both see how irrelevant you are.

A few years back, the plant I worked at had a union strike and I had to work in the plant for about 12 weeks. I worked with a guy who was a "non-degree" engineer. Basically, he had a high school education and had been taught, by the company, rudimentary engineering about the one specific are of the plant he where he worked all the time. He was called an "engineer". He was really annoyed that an engineer with a bachelor's degree made more money than him all because he had a "piece of paper" that he did not have. I told him, I wouldn't stand for it! I told him to go get him one of those "pieces of paper".

He NEVER mentioned it to me again.

And since you ask about who's go what, I have two earned degrees and two internationally recognized and respected professional certifications. There was a lot of blood, sweet, and tears to earn all of this. My experience has been that those without any earned degrees seem to take the position "it's not big deal". They are, just like my friend of many years ago, basically clueless about the sacrifices needed to get those "pieces of paper". And in my profession, even accredited universities crank out bachelors degrees at amazing speed. That is, in my opinion, why a person must pass PAINFUL nationally structured and monitored exams to practice.
4/5/18 11:09 pm

Post SouthFloridaman
Ok I am against people who are nobody’s purchasing degrees from fake dipolma mills. BUT.... some of the people on this list I feel have accomplished enough to receive an honorary dr. Now I understand not calling an honorary dr a dr. But can’t someone who has done enough in there field and is requested to teach at a college be allowed an honorific degree in order to teach? Another thing I dislike about this article is ORU is talked about in a negative light. ORU is accredited. The only reason oru is kicked in this article is because of the author’s rabid hatred of Pentecostal Christianity. This article is written by a bunch of fundentalist Baptist that just hate Pentecostals. Another question is where would a Pentecostal/charismatic get a PhD 30-40yrs ago. There was nearly zero PhD granting schools for those who are Pentecostal. I can tell you there is a heavy educational bias against Pentecostals. I went to Regent I can confirm that the accreditation agency hated regent because of it’s Pentecostal/charismatic Christianity beliefs. It is wrong an accreditation agency can attack you for your belief that homosexuality is a sin. Now the accreditation agency is not dumb enough to give that as a reason, but just maybe couldn’t a rogue evaluator give a negative rate just on personal bias? Could it just be that at the time a lot of Pentecostal education was just not accredited? THIS IS RUMOR but I heard of Mark Rutland saying the main reason Lee went off the rails doctrinally was because of the obsession with obtaining a high accreditation rating. Plus at the time dr conn was setting Lee up as an academic powerhouse there was barely any Pentecostal phd’s. Lee had to go to creative lengths to recruit outside of Pentecostal circle for academic accreditation’s sake. A school’s accreditation is made or broke on the number of PhD at a school. Friendly Face
4/7/18 1:38 am

Post Well, I suppose it depends upon Mark Ledbetter
the motivation and the crowd you hang out with:

Quote:
"Now as they observed the confidence of Peter and John and understood that they were uneducated and untrained men, they were amazed, and began to recognize them as having been with Jesus" - Acts 4:13

"At the hands of the apostle many signs and wonders were taking place among the people; and they were all with one accord in Solomon's portico." - Acts 5:12

but, then again,

Quote:
"Then Jesus spoke to the crowds and to His disciples, saying: The scribes and Pharisees have seated themselves in the chair of Moses...But they do their deeds to be noticed by men; for they broaden their phylacteries and lengthen the tassels of their garments. They love the place of honor at banquets and the chief seats in the synagogues, and respectful greetings in the market places, and being called Rabbi by men." - Matthew 23:1-2, 5-7

Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
4/7/18 8:52 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Ministers filled with and empowered by God’s Spirit would not claim illegitimate degrees.

No one is saying a degree is needed before someone can preach or pastor.

People are saying that calling a degree that be not as though it were is sin.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/7/18 11:37 am

Post SouthFloridaman
I understand what you are saying. But in the 80’s I would like someone to name the number of ministry or theological based PhD programs that where friendly or open to charismatics and Pentecostals. I think it was maybe a/g seminary, cog seminary, and oru at the time. Pat Roberston’s Regent University in Virginia Beach was started as a graduate level school to address the fact that Pentecostal’s and charmatics where facing severe persecution in the upper levels of the academic realm. The whole school is development around bridging the lack of Christ minded spirit filled post graduates. I think some of the unaccredited schools were granting honorary degrees to those individuals as a way to get some form of credibility. Well blank the evangelist went here. Also I would say the evangelist would probably lend there name out as well in order to help that fledgling school because maybe they believed one day they could be accredited. Friendly Face
4/7/18 12:03 pm

Post Re: Name-It-Frame-It: Dr. Who? – Televangelists With Fake Educations and Degrees (L) GreatONE
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
http://dustoffthebible.com/Blog-archive/2015/08/19/dr-who-televangelists-with-fake-educations-and-degrees/

According to their biographies, per Wikipedia, neither Jerry Falwell for Adrian Rogers had earned doctorates. If this information can be verified as true, then what is going here?
4/7/18 7:32 pm

Post Re: Name-It-Frame-It: Dr. Who? – Televangelists With Fake Educations and Degrees (L) SouthFloridaman
GreatONE wrote:

According to their biographies, per Wikipedia, neither Jerry Falwell for Adrian Rogers had earned doctorates. If this information can be verified as true, then what is going here?

What we are witnessing is a blatant attack on charismatic Pentecostal Christianity by the fundamentalist baptist and others. NEWSFLASH outside of the solid south it wasn’t long ago the Pentecostal charismatic Christians we’re viewed with the cult status as Mormons and jehovah’s Witnesses. I don’t like the articles attack on ORU. ORU is an accredited institution. I agree with otcp on a lot but if an accredited institution grants an honorary degree that is a badge of honor not a mark of deceit. I do have a problem with them not disclosing it as a honorific title. And I probably wouldn’t call them dr but still it is a big honor. A lot of my hero’s have honorary docs. I still look up to them.
Friendly Face
4/7/18 9:09 pm

Post sheepdogandy
Can one be an Apostle and not possess a seminary doctorate?

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/8/18 4:36 pm

Post Re: Name-It-Frame-It: Dr. Who? – Televangelists With Fake Educations and Degrees (L) Old Time Country Preacher
GreatONE wrote:

Correct on both accounts, neither Falwell nor Adrian Roger hold an earned doctorate.
Acts-pert Poster
4/9/18 11:48 pm

sheepdogandy wrote:
Can one be an Apostle and not possess a seminary doctorate?

Only at SPWC..........
Acts-pert Poster
4/9/18 11:51 pm

There may be a few schools that make it difficult for Pentecostals at the DMin or PhD level; however, most schools, even state universities, care little about one's personal theological stance. Again there are a few schools, or one or two faculty members within a certain school, that don't fit this mold.

That said, such a dynamic is never a good reason for one to attend an unaccredited institution.
Acts-pert Poster
4/10/18 12:05 am

Post SouthFloridaman
There may be a few schools that make it difficult for Pentecostals at the DMin or PhD level; however, most schools, even state universities, care little about one's personal theological stance. Again there are a few schools, or one or two faculty members within a certain school, that don't fit this mold.

That said, such a dynamic is never a good reason for one to attend an unaccredited institution.

noted.... I remember when tennessee temple was handling out doctorates to pastors who sent alot of students to their institution. I thought wow you get a dr for sending students.🙄. State schools???? I am not sure they would provide an accurate biblical world view for those seeking ministry or theological phds. But, what about the number of phd granting christians instituations that were friendly to charismatic pentecostals? 30 yrs ago those schoosl were few and far between.
Friendly Face
4/12/18 11:27 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic