Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Do ALL Major Rapture Positions believe in a 7 Year Tribulation Period?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Do ALL Major Rapture Positions believe in a 7 Year Tribulation Period? Old Time Country Preacher
Does all the various rapture positions still believe in a 7-year tribulation?

Pre-Trib
Mid-Trib
Pre-Wrath
Post-Trib

I know Pre-Trib does, but does each of these other positions espouse a 7-year tribulation?
Acts-pert Poster
2/19/18 8:41 pm

Post Short answe brotherjames
Yes. Longer answer is define tribulation. The 7 year period exists in all 4 but only pre considers the whole 7 years tribulation (wrath). Scripture speaks however of a 3 1/2 yr period of peace followed by wrath for the next 3 1/2 yrs also known as the great tribulation. So technically only half of the 7 yr period is tribulation. But different groups define tribulation differently. Acts-celerater
2/19/18 10:35 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
There are some posttribers whose understanding of the prophetic scriptures does not require a seven-year tribulation. Personally, as one who has been persuaded of the posttrib view for many years now, the primary thing about the posttrib view is that it finds no secret rapture (or a rapture separated by much time at all from the resurrection of the dead in Christ). The posttrib view sees the catching away of the saints and the resurrection of the righteous occurring as essentially one event, just as it is described in 1 Thess 4, for instance, as well as is seen in every other scriptural depiction of the rapture/resurrection of the righteous. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/19/18 10:44 pm

Post Re: Do ALL Major Rapture Positions believe in a 7 Year Tribulation Period? Resident Skeptic
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:

Pre-Trib
Mid-Trib
Pre-Wrath
Post-Trib

I know Pre-Trib does, but does each of these other positions espouse a 7-year tribulation?

No. Post-trib holds to a 3-1/2 year Tribulation view.
2/20/18 9:13 pm

Post Re: Do ALL Major Rapture Positions believe in a 7 Year Tribulation Period? Old Time Country Preacher
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:

Pre-Trib
Mid-Trib
Pre-Wrath
Post-Trib

No. Post-trib holds to a 3-1/2 year Tribulation view.

Is the 3-1/2 year Trib view derived from Daniel's vision of years?
Acts-pert Poster
2/20/18 9:41 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Not all posttribers hold to a seven or a three and a half year tribulation. Some do, but such is not essential to the posttrib view. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/20/18 10:07 pm

Post Matthew 24:15, 21-22 Mark Ledbetter
"Therefore when you see the abomination of desolation which was spoken through Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand)...For then there will be a great tribulation, such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now, nor ever will. Unless those days had been cut short, no life would have been saved; but for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short." (emphasis added)

Some will find some way to contradict this passage; however, there is one thing that always trumps human reason - God's sovereignty.

And another - His compassion.
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
2/20/18 10:32 pm

Post Link
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
There are some posttribers whose understanding of the prophetic scriptures does not require a seven-year tribulation. Personally, as one who has been persuaded of the posttrib view for many years now, the primary thing about the posttrib view is that it finds no secret rapture (or a rapture separated by much time at all from the resurrection of the dead in Christ). The posttrib view sees the catching away of the saints and the resurrection of the righteous occurring as essentially one event, just as it is described in 1 Thess 4, for instance, as well as is seen in every other scriptural depiction of the rapture/resurrection of the righteous.
Thumb Up
2/22/18 3:17 am

Post Dave Dorsey
The church has historically not held to dispensationalism or the doctrine of a secret or pre-tribulational rapture, so to the extent that rejecting a secret or pre-tribulational rapture is a rapture view, amillenialists and postmillenialists do not espouse a 7 year tribulation. Historic (non-dispensational) premillenialists espouse a specific tribulation, but as QW said, not necessarily seven years and not including a rapture.

Edit: Italicized text added for clarity.

Last edited by Dave Dorsey on 2/22/18 11:27 am; edited 2 times in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/22/18 6:10 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
I am always puzzled by those who say they don’t believe in a rapture at all, or who say belief in a rapture is not historic Christian belief, or that belief in a rapture is somehow only taught by dispensationalism. The scriptural teaching of the dead in Christ being resurrected just prior to the alive in Christ being caught up to meet them in the air seems pretty plain in the New Testament passages which speak of this event. Just because one finds no secret rapture in the Bible in no way means one finds no rapture/catching away of the living saints at the time of the resurrection of the dead in Christ.

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 2/22/18 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/22/18 8:21 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
I am always puzzled by those who say they don’t believe in a rapture at all, or who say belief in a rapture is not historic Christian belief, or that belief in a rapture is somehow only taught by dispensationalism. The scriptural teaching of the dead in Christ being resurrected just prior to the alive in Christ being caught up to meet them in the air seems pretty plain in the New Testament passages which speak of this event. Just because one find no secret rapture in the Bible in no way means one finds no rapture/catching away of the living saints at the time of the resurrection of the dead in Christ.

When people say "rapture" they are almost always referring to the secret one, as that is the rapture that dominates eschatological conversation today. I was likewise referring to the secret rapture in my post. I am not aware of any stream of orthodox Christianity that denies a catching away of living saints at the resurrection of the dead and second coming of Christ.

Hopefully that clears up the puzzlement.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/22/18 8:30 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Dave,

When one says, “Historic (non-dispensational) premillenialists espouse a specific tribulation, but as QW said, not necessarily seven years and not including a rapture,” one is not speaking accurately. Historic premillennialism does indeed teach a rapture of the living saints immediately after the resurrection of the dead in Christ.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/22/18 10:58 am

Post Dave Dorsey
It kind of feels like you're intentionally trying to misunderstand me. I'm sure that's not the case, but I also don't understand the disagreement here.

Historic premillenialism does not teach a secret or pre-tribulational rapture. In my post, when I used the term "rapture", I was referring to a secret or pre-tribulational rapture as that is the basically universal context for that word in current eschatological conversation.

Historic premillenialism does teach a catching away of the living saints at the second coming of Christ, as does, so far as I'm aware, every stream of orthodox Christianity. Further, a secret or pre-tribulational rapture has not been historically affirmed by the church.

Where are we disconnecting here?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/22/18 11:23 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
No intentional misunderstanding. You simply misspoke in your original post. Historic premillennialism does indeed affirm a rapture, contrary to your original post. You said nothing about a secret rapture in your original post. I pointed this out to you, and for some reason you now say that it feels to you like I am intentionally misunderstanding you. I am simply saying that if you meant to say historic premill doesn’t affirm a secret rapture, you should have made that clear in your original post. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/22/18 12:57 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I see that you have now edited your original post. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/22/18 12:59 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
I don't think I necessarily misspoke given that modern conversation of rapture always concerns the secret kind (in my opinion) but I do appreciate the distinction between the two and will endeavor to be more specific in the future. It's always good to be precise and I thank you for pointing out the vagueness in my initial post. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/22/18 1:08 pm

Post UncleJD
As a layman its sometimes hard to follow you guys, but I don't think discounting the historical view that remained consistent for the entirety of the Church age is very wise. Some may look at modern eschatology in regards to the (secret) Rapture as merely a "clarification" of sorts, but it appears to be a modern invention entirely when compared side by side. Its hard to go against what I took for granted being raised in the COG, but lets just say I'm not so convinced about the rapture, tribulation and millennial reign as I once was. I guess the wisdom I learned at an early age by a dear COG preacher still holds true, "live like Jesus is coming back tomorrow, but work like He won't in your lifetime" Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
2/22/18 1:44 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Many years ago, I found the following book very helpful as a basic intro into the differences in eschatology: https://www.amazon.com/Meaning-Millennium-Four-Views/product-reviews/0877847940 [Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/22/18 2:18 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic