Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Legit question about closing churches

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Legit question about closing churches oldschooler
Can someone explain the benefits of closing a church only to reopen it as a church plant other than:
1. Securing “church planting” funds for the briefly closed church?
2. Looking like a new church has been planted in a state or region?

Seems to be a practice I’ve seen a few times.
Friendly Face
2/17/18 9:47 pm

Post Cojak
Hey oldschooler (Lots of us around, LOL) Welcome aboard, I don't think I said that yet.??? (I'm just old)

It always seems like semantics to me, not sure that is the best word, but I have seen some successful 'closing and reopening under a new name', and others that was just a waste of time, effort and money.

I don't know actually what determines the success or failure, but I honestly think it is the Pastor. We used to be afraid of churches that were built around a pastor that is one reason pastors were moved every few years. in this day with transportation no problem MOST churches are formed around the pastor. Some men's personality along with a desire to teach and preach God's word draws seekers.

Anyway, I am not sure there is a good answer to the question, but it is definitely a discussion point!

Cool
Sorta like our present church, we recently changed pastors and we will loose 10-15 people who 'like the pastor across town' better than the new guy. I can't fault them for it, that is the way it seems to roll in today's world. The dedication is to a pastor, not the local church! Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/17/18 10:08 pm

Post If a church is losing members brotherjames
Is unable to consistently pay its bills and is stuck in the fifties (which related to the first 2 items), Is unable to attract new people then it probably should be shut down. Or at the very least revitalized with new pastor, new name, new place, new vision, new style and underwritten for a couple of years as a new church plant. Think of it as "under new management like a business. I know a church isn't a business if course. Acts-celerater
2/18/18 7:56 am

Post My opinion roughridercog
There are reasons for a church closing.

If it is unable to support itself and funds have been habitally used to bail it out. Close it and perhaps do a relaunch in the area with a change indentity.

Another sad reason is if a state is cannibalizing churches to pay state expenses.
2/18/18 9:48 am

Post Another reason... Aaron Scott
Beyond whether it obtains church plant monies or is even noted as a new church plant, there can be value in terms of "relaunching" a church. Sometimes, a church needs to change, but unless it appears to have closed and opened up "under new management," so to speak, it cannot effect the needed transformation.

Maybe the very same people will still be there, but it can appear like something new is going on for the community. Yes, they know it's still on the same property, may even look the same (although it would be hoped to have some sort of upgraded appearance), but because there is activity going on there, they can give it a chance.

Also, if You'n Go To Hell If You'n Cutcher Hair Church of God has a certain sort of reputation in the community, a relaunch (again, regardless of whether funds are received or it is counted as a new church) under a new name, etc., might make people who are on their way to hell for cutting their hair decide to try it out.

Also, there is something about a place that seems "new," even if it has been there a while.

Just my two cents.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/18/18 2:34 pm

Post cogvegan
Could it be because the church can't keep a pastor? Or it's not sustaining itself?

I have to admit that I'm not too much of a fan of relaunching a church by changing the name. Especially, these new corny names. Most of the time the name is a far cry from the church. It seems like a fad more than anything. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's just the way I feel about these new names.

There seems to be a lot of closed churches in the area that I live in and nothing new starting up. Geographically, it really stinks if you live east of I-95. Most the churches are west.

Anyway, sorry I was just rambling...
2/18/18 3:45 pm

Post Brandon Bowers
Fire breeds new vegetation -- life...

Sometimes, you just have to let something die before you can bring new life..
2/18/18 6:54 pm

Post Da Sheik
Locations get a stigma. You can change the name of a facility but it will still carry the stigma of the past. You see the same thing with restaurants or small businesses that try to make a go of it in an old facility that has failed in the past.

There are legitimate reasons for a church to close. In my experience, re-launching said church in the same location with a different name will yield similar results as the previous church.
Acts Enthusiast
2/18/18 10:51 pm

Post Cojak
Brandon Bowers wrote:

True dat. Cool
2/18/18 11:23 pm

Post Cojak
Da Sheik wrote:
Locations get a stigma. You can change the name of a facility but it will still carry the stigma of the past. You see the same thing with restaurants or small businesses that try to make a go of it in an old facility that has failed in the past.

There are legitimate reasons for a church to close. In my experience, re-launching said church in the same location with a different name will yield similar results as the previous church.

Highlighted area is very true. Thumb Up
2/18/18 11:27 pm

Post oldschooler
Enjoying reading the responses. Da Shiek, I couldn’t agree with you more. A trend that I have noticed has been more than “relaunching” churches (which has a lot of merit)... but states calling a relaunch a “church plant”. The term “church plant” looks much more appealing to Cleveland than a “relaunch”. There’s monies available.... and, state offices appear to be planting new congregations, when they are merely building upon the work of others. It seems a bit self-serving. Then again.... I’m an oldschooler Wink Friendly Face
2/18/18 11:30 pm

Post UncleJD
Brandon Bowers wrote:

Is that why so many reopen with the name "New Life ....." ? Laughing
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
2/19/18 11:31 am

Post diakoneo
UncleJD wrote:
Brandon Bowers wrote:

Is that why so many reopen with the name "New Life ....." ? Laughing

Would that be New Life Pointe??? Smile
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
2/19/18 11:29 pm

Post wayne
Brandon Bowers wrote:

Thumb Up

Churches get stuck in a rut and sometimes it's the fault of the Pastor and sometimes it's the fault of the people.

In KY, we have watched Bishop Rabon do this a couple times. An unhealthy church, one that is on deaths door is ripe for a re-plant. Merge it with a new pastor/congregation and give it a shot.

In my opinion this is a win win for the new church and the community. The new Pastor/Church needs a place to worship and the community needs a church. With that said, if the same pastor and the same congregation is trying to do a re-launch Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes that won't work.
Acts Enthusiast
2/20/18 8:22 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic