Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

The Apotheosis of Donald J. Trump: What evangelicals gain and lose doing business with the president (L)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post The Apotheosis of Donald J. Trump: What evangelicals gain and lose doing business with the president (L) Dave Dorsey
Quote:
There is, though, one obvious piece of evidence from the president’s political career that suggests his dealmaking reputation might be deserved after all: the relationship he has with evangelical political leaders. He has lavished them with attention and let them bask in his celebrity star-power, things that they, long feeling like outsiders in American culture and politics, have badly craved. In exchange, they have thrown him their support—unconditional support, by all appearances—and with it, the backing of a political constituency vital to his success at the polls.

In The Faith of Donald J. Trump, authors David Brody and Scott Lamb provide an in-depth look at the relationship between the president and American evangelicals. Brody and Lamb—respectively a newscaster with Pat Robertson’s Christian Broadcasting Network and a vice president at Jerry Falwell’s Liberty University—have written what they dub a “spiritual biography,” even though they come right out and say they have no intention of answering the question of whether Trump is a Christian. Instead, they hope to convey his faith through his actions.

In the process, though, Brody and Lamb inadvertently expose the corruption and moral vacuity of the political evangelical movement in the United States.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/the-apotheosis-of-donald-j.-trump/article/2011600

Read the whole thing.

Edit: Derp, forgot the link.

Last edited by Dave Dorsey on 2/16/18 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/16/18 8:44 am

Post Resident Skeptic
Not worth reading. Just a bunch of bitter, never-Trump holdouts. Nothing they say is of interest to me. Are these guys calling for a Convention of States, as the Founders intended, to reel in the insanity? No. Instead, they are trying to overthrow the one President we have had since Reagan who is actually trying to defend religious liberty.

Rush Limbaugh made an interesting observation the other day. He said there are still a few Never-Trumpers who, though knowing everything they've ever hoped for is at their finger tips, they refuse to get on board simply because they don't like the guy who is trying ti implement THEIR agenda. These petty, shallow-thinkers need to go somewhere and shut their pharisaical mouths.
2/16/18 9:42 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Resident Skeptic wrote:
though knowing everything they've ever hoped for is at their finger tips, they refuse to get on board ... These petty, shallow-thinkers need to go somewhere and shut their pharisaical mouths.

ROFL

Anyone who actually does read the article will surely appreciate the humor of this remark.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/16/18 9:56 am

Post Resident Skeptic
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
though knowing everything they've ever hoped for is at their finger tips, they refuse to get on board ... These petty, shallow-thinkers need to go somewhere and shut their pharisaical mouths.

ROFL

Anyone who actually does read the article will surely appreciate the humor of this remark.

Oh I am sure they are aware of Rush's remarks and try to cover themselves in the article. But in the end, they are still doing exactly what Rush accuses them of.
2/16/18 10:01 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Oh I am sure they are aware of Rush's remarks and try to cover themselves in the article. But in the end, they are still doing exactly what Rush accuses them of.

Dude, you have no idea what is in the article or what they are doing or saying. It could be a critical review of the third season of Dora the Explorer for all you know. Laughing
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/16/18 10:05 am

Post Resident Skeptic
Quote:
Brody and Lamb’s book highlights everything wrong with the morphing of American evangelicalism into a post-Jesus cult of personality looking for salvation delivered by politicians—including its hypocrisy and sophistry regarding Trump and morality.

False narrative.

Actually, it is guys like these who were most likely looking for salvation by a politician. This is where the Christian Right failed IMO. They need to focus their efforts on restoring Constitutional government. 99% of their agenda will win by default.
2/16/18 10:05 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
C'mon Dave.

RS may not have read the article - but check out this hit piece headline from the article:

Brody and Lamb ... expose the corruption and moral vacuity of the political evangelical movement in the United States.

C'mon man.

The reality is: Trump offers evangelicals some movement on their issues - where no one else has.

Something vs. Nothing.

Hmmm.... which one should I choose?

Evangelicals decided to choose Door # 1 - SOMETHING.
It's just that simple.

Yet morons call them "corrupt and morally vacuous" for doing so.
They are chided for using Trump on a transactional basis - to get the issues they want passed?
What in the world is wrong with that? They can't ask for their issues to be dealt with unless Trump toes the line on being holy enough? What a joke.

And then they end with the holiest of thou conclusion: This is damaging Christianity in America!!!
News flash - it gets damaged when abortion on demand, no prayer in schools, import more Muslims, etc... happens too.

In the end, Brody and Lamb’s book exposes how the leaders of the evangelical movement, long treated as outcasts from mainstream culture because of the charlatans in their midst, now enjoy an utterly transactional relationship with Donald Trump, each using the other for an end they believe justifies the means. The long-term damage to the American evangelical movement, which has spent decades working toward respectability and intellectual seriousness, remains to be seen. And a president in need of a savior is surrounded by men and women of faith who are more interested in doing business with him than calling him to repent so that his eternal soul might be saved.

These lightweights need to realize that Christ admonished us to be wise as serpents - which is what I am doing with Trump. If I can get a better deal somewhere else - I will take it - until then...whether you like him or not, learn to love it, cause he's the best thing going today - if you want some of Evangelical issues addressed.

Otherwise, use this article in the toilet area where it might be good for something.

Twisted Evil
2/16/18 12:36 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
until then...whether you like him or not, learn to love it, cause he's the best thing going today - if you want some of Evangelical issues addressed.

You're right. These lentils are delicious. Yes, there will come a day when evangelicals search with tears for and fail to find the moral authority and prophetic voice they exchanged in order to partner with the "best thing going", but man these lentils are good right now.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/16/18 12:38 pm

Post Re: The Apotheosis of Donald J. Trump: What evangelicals gain and lose doing business with the president (L) Quiet Wyatt
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Quote:
There is, though, one obvious piece of evidence from the president’s political career that suggests his dealmaking reputation might be deserved after all: the relationship he has with evangelical political leaders. He has lavished them with attention and let them bask in his celebrity star-power, things that they, long feeling like outsiders in American culture and politics, have badly craved. In exchange, they have thrown him their support—unconditional support, by all appearances—and with it, the backing of a political constituency vital to his success at the polls.

In The Faith of Donald J. Trump, authors David Brody and Scott Lamb provide an in-depth look at the relationship between the president and American evangelicals. Brody and Lamb—respectively a newscaster with Pat Robertson’s Christian Broadcasting Network and a vice president at Jerry Falwell’s Liberty University—have written what they dub a “spiritual biography,” even though they come right out and say they have no intention of answering the question of whether Trump is a Christian. Instead, they hope to convey his faith through his actions.

In the process, though, Brody and Lamb inadvertently expose the corruption and moral vacuity of the political evangelical movement in the United States.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/the-apotheosis-of-donald-j.-trump/article/2011600

Read the whole thing.

Edit: Derp, forgot the link.

A very good review. I love Erickson’s sense of humor. Elicited several chuckles and even a brief belly laugh from me.

One of my favorites was:

“You should know that I read The Faith of Donald J. Trump in the English version and can only guess at what was lost in the translation from the original North Korean. Donald Trump has, it is clear from this book, become Dear Leader, Generalissimo, Eternal General Secretary, Eternal Chairman, and Eternal Leader of the People’s Evangelical Party of America. The Soviets, Chinese, and North Koreans would find it very familiar.”

I will say that Trump has done a few more positive things than just nominating Gorsuch. But I absolutely agree that evangelicals have by and large sold out to a man who has himself lived a life of essential hedonism and narcissism. If he’s a Christian, everybody is. The fact that evangelicals so remarkably support a complete reprobate like Donald Trump, at the very least means they owe Bill Clinton a humongous apology.

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 2/17/18 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/16/18 1:03 pm

Post UncleJD
Dave Dorsey wrote:
... Yes, there will come a day when evangelicals search with tears for and fail to find the moral authority and prophetic voice they exchanged in order to partner with the "best thing going", but man these lentils are good right now.

And the other side of the coin is the churches that support the democratic party platform no matter how corrupt, immoral, murderous or treasonous it is as long as they get the handouts they want. And, lest we forget, people criticized Billy Graham for his political influence as well.

I don't see the evangelicals' support at the ballot box, of a president that will NOT help the systematic destruction of freedom of religion or lead America further into the atheistic and humanistic abyss as being complicit with Trump's personal failings. Now do jokers like Paula White and others supporting Trump make us all look bad? Probably, but they do that no matter who they support. I'm can support Trump as POTUS and not give a dime about Paula White and her ilk..

I will always vote for whoever gives the church the best opportunity to practice Biblical Christianity freely. I didn't ask for Trump, I pushed hard against him, yet he won the primary and then the choice was Hillary Clinton or throw away a vote and get Hillary Clinton, I would indeed take ANYONE else that will at least promise a conservative Justice (which he pretty much delivered on right off the bat. Everything else has just been bonus after bonus after bonus)
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
2/16/18 3:01 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
UncleJD wrote:
And the other side of the coin is the churches that support the democratic party platform no matter how corrupt, immoral, murderous or treasonous it is as long as they get the handouts they want.

No doubt.
Quote:
I don't see the evangelicals' support at the ballot box, of a president that will NOT help the systematic destruction of freedom of religion or lead America further into the atheistic and humanistic abyss as being complicit with Trump's personal failings.

I agree with that also. I think the focus of the article is the evangelical effort to baptize Trump as "one of us" and to boast in his excellency as an individual. I'm not sure why evangelical leaders can't say, "Yeah, this dude is a reprobate, and we pray that he will come to know Christ. Inasmuch as he supports the positions we support, we intend to work with him and we're grateful to God for a president who is interesting in hearing our views, but we can't affirm anything about him as an individual." But they don't seem to be able to do so.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/16/18 3:15 pm

Post UncleJD
Dave Dorsey wrote:
UncleJD wrote:
And the other side of the coin is the churches that support the democratic party platform no matter how corrupt, immoral, murderous or treasonous it is as long as they get the handouts they want.

No doubt.
Quote:
I don't see the evangelicals' support at the ballot box, of a president that will NOT help the systematic destruction of freedom of religion or lead America further into the atheistic and humanistic abyss as being complicit with Trump's personal failings.

I agree with that also. I think the focus of the article is the evangelical effort to baptize Trump as "one of us" and to boast in his excellency as an individual. I'm not sure why evangelical leaders can't say, "Yeah, this dude is a reprobate, and we pray that he will come to know Christ. Inasmuch as he supports the positions we support, we intend to work with him and we're grateful to God for a president who is interesting in hearing our views, but we can't affirm anything about him as an individual." But they don't seem to be able to do so.

I agree with that. I don't like the so-called "leaders" that are "blessing Trump", not because of Trump, but because of them. I didn't like them before all of this, some, not all, have done much to hurt the cause of Christ
2/16/18 3:57 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Dave Dorsey wrote:
until then...whether you like him or not, learn to love it, cause he's the best thing going today - if you want some of Evangelical issues addressed.

You're right. These lentils are delicious. Yes, there will come a day when evangelicals search with tears for and fail to find the moral authority and prophetic voice they exchanged in order to partner with the "best thing going", but man these lentils are good right now.

Funny man.

Lentils. Leeks. Garlic.

For a starving man - they are the right choice.

But keep on being holier than the rest of us. It makes us Christians look good. Maybe someone will write a book about you guys too.
2/16/18 4:42 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
For a starving man - they are the right choice.

I wonder why Christ's church is starving, and why political success is able to satisfy that hunger?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/16/18 4:43 pm

Post Chicago27
More Kool-Aid to drink. Of course, he said that he didn’t need to repent. He is a good person and has nothing to repent for. But, the real Kool-Aid drinkers probably will call this “fake news.”

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5399783/Ex-Playboy-model-opens-alleged-affair-Trump.html
Friendly Face
2/16/18 4:52 pm

Post Cojak
Okay, I tried to read the pointed to article. I need the reader's digest version with comments by someone smart like Ted Turner or Buffett.

After failing to comprehend if this was levity or seriousness I quit trying.
Then I read all the comments and I feel like J Martin. I feel dumber than I did before.

I don't have many more years and I will be with mama who told me long ago, when you don't understand son, don't make a decision on what you don't understand. Do what you know is right, you will understand it all better by and by!

I'm leaving all this mumbo jumbo to the intellects to decipher. Y'all are doing good, I THINK???? Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/16/18 5:02 pm

Post Dean Steenburgh
So it appears that the Trump haters (Dave D & QW ...etc) just simply cannot let it rest ...amazing!
I listened to the same author last week on Hannity & he made several positive comments about Mr. Trump making a huge turn in the right direction towards the things of God. They even played about 15 excerpts from his SOTU address where he invoked the name of God & our need of God in society & in our personal life.
I never once heard Obama do that nor did slick willy.
You see, closet liberals would probably never be happy no matter who sits in the WH.

On this board I have not seen one guy call him a saint but I read where many of you "christian" guys call the POTUS a reprobate & many other evil things.
Were any of you ever a reprobate ...were you born pure somehow? I know I lived a life of sin before coming to Christ.

Haven't read any worthwhile sources where Mr. Trump is still living that crooked lifestyle you all seem so good at pointing out.
Scripture is chalked full of multiple statements regarding mercy & how that we will receive mercy when we extend mercy.
Have you once considered how you would halt your onslaught of evil remarks against the president & show him some mercy?

Perhaps if Hilary had won the election your condemnation of the POTUS would have been justified or at least tamed under the, 'told you so' excuse.

In this country we have a bonafide winner of the office of POTUS by way of the electoral college & in scripture we're encouraged to pray for him.
I prayed for Mr. Obama all throughout his 2 terms & I tempered my public opinion of him if for no other reason than to be an example to others.
Your statements, opinions & comments are all readily available for the public to read via a simple search of your name online.
So far nobody in secular society has been able to prove any wrong doing of Mr. Trump while he's been a candidate & since being elected as Pres. But a few folks here on this board, who claim to know Christ & minister the Good News, will not pass up an opportunity to scourge the leader of the free world.
Let me not fail to mention he has been (in terms of a world leader) the only true friend of Israel that I've seen since Reagan.

I already anticipate your direct line defense of my assertions but thats fine because I am not ashamed that I voted for Mr. Trump & I would do it all over again & in fact I hope to do so in 2020.
Facts are that God appoints the leaders of the world & He had His hand in this one also.

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
2/16/18 6:01 pm

Post Cojak
Dean Steenburgh wrote:
So it appears that the Trump haters (Dave D & QW ...etc) just simply cannot let it rest ...amazing!
I listened to the same author last week on Hannity & he made several positive comments about Mr. Trump making a huge turn in the right direction towards the things of God. They even played about 15 excerpts from his SOTU address where he invoked the name of God & our need of God in society & in our personal life.
I never once heard Obama do that nor did slick willy.
You see, closet liberals would probably never be happy no matter who sits in the WH.

On this board I have not seen one guy call him a saint but I read where many of you "christian" guys call the POTUS a reprobate & many other evil things.
Were any of you ever a reprobate ...were you born pure somehow? I know I lived a life of sin before coming to Christ.

Haven't read any worthwhile sources where Mr. Trump is still living that crooked lifestyle you all seem so good at pointing out.
Scripture is chalked full of multiple statements regarding mercy & how that we will receive mercy when we extend mercy.
Have you once considered how you would halt your onslaught of evil remarks against the president & show him some mercy?

Perhaps if Hilary had won the election your condemnation of the POTUS would have been justified or at least tamed under the, 'told you so' excuse.

In this country we have a bonafide winner of the office of POTUS by way of the electoral college & in scripture we're encouraged to pray for him.
I prayed for Mr. Obama all throughout his 2 terms & I tempered my public opinion of him if for no other reason than to be an example to others.
Your statements, opinions & comments are all readily available for the public to read via a simple search of your name online.
So far nobody in secular society has been able to prove any wrong doing of Mr. Trump while he's been a candidate & since being elected as Pres. But a few folks here on this board, who claim to know Christ & minister the Good News, will not pass up an opportunity to scourge the leader of the free world.
Let me not fail to mention he has been (in terms of a world leader) the only true friend of Israel that I've seen since Reagan.

I already anticipate your direct line defense of my assertions but thats fine because I am not ashamed that I voted for Mr. Trump & I would do it all over again & in fact I hope to do so in 2020.
Facts are that God appoints the leaders of the world & He had His hand in this one also.

I was never a Trumper, but I did vote for him.

I can feel good when I see some of the things he has accomplished.
Good comment DS Thumb Up I never 'hated' Obama I always Hoped for the best, we need it. I still pray and hope for the best. I love this country and would never pray for a leader to fail.... But that is just me. Cool Thumb Up
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/17/18 2:13 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Dean,

I am absolutely not a closet liberal. (I thought it was against the rules to call people names on this board). As I have stated many times on this board, but you for some odd reason just have ignored, I did not vote for Trump OR Hillary precisely because I am one who highly regards the US Constitution AND because I believe moral character is in every case absolutely essential to good leadership.

I also said in my previous post that Trump had done some things that were good. I just can’t stand his arrogance, his predatory sexuality, nor can I stomach the virtual worship that Trumpeteers heap on him. But hey, I’m sure neither of us will change each other’s mind.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/17/18 2:25 am

Post UncleJD
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
nor can I stomach the virtual worship that Trumpeteers heap on him

Since you wouldn't call people names or mischaracterize people on this board, who "virtually worships" Trump? And why use the name-calling that I see all day long on the discussion boards from liberal trolls?
2/17/18 11:11 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic