Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

What is the purpose for the AR-15?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post What is the purpose for the AR-15? Chicago27
The NRA says there are more than 8 million of them in America. Friendly Face
2/15/18 9:39 am

Post To fire each time I pull a trigger roughridercog
It's my job to aim responsibly.

Hmmm, poor weapon is blameless.
2/15/18 9:44 am

Post bradfreeman
If I could only own one rifle, it would be an AR-15. They are a delight.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
2/15/18 10:43 am

Post Cojak
The main reason is for a soldier to LIVE, and at the same time WIN (for himself and his comrades). It can also keep a country safe and of course when used for the wrong reasons can be very destructive.

Cars kill a lot of people, we do not ban then, but try to keep them out of the hands of criminals and drunks. We do not always accomplish that but we still keep trying!

I do not have such a weapon, I do not feel the need of one. Neither do I carry a weapon (except my pocket knife) but if I was endanger I would appreciate a 'good shot' who did carry one nearby!

The argument will continue for years to come, but this country was formed by armed men and women. I hope we citizens can always be armed. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/15/18 11:22 am

Post Re: What is the purpose for the AR-15? MrSippi
Chicago27 wrote:
The NRA says there are more than 8 million of them in America.

One reason is to protect myself against people who illegally possess an AR-15. It is difficult to defend against an AR-15 with a 6 shot pistol or a shotgun.
Friendly Face
2/15/18 11:37 am

Post Re: What is the purpose for the AR-15? Cojak
MrSippi wrote:
Chicago27 wrote:

One reason is to protect myself against people who illegally possess an AR-15. ...

YES BUT CAN'T YOU SEE, IF WE CONFISCATE 'ALL' OF THEM you would no longer have that problem.

So on the third of July we will ask everyone YOU and all the crooks that have them to turn them in. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!

We won't take names, remember faces no records so EVERYONE will be protected.

That procedure works well with guns and drugs I hear????????????? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

It might work! Twisted Evil
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/15/18 11:44 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Here is my proposal if I was in Congress.

Ban AR-15s and other so called assault rifles - couple that with a ban on abortion after the first 8 weeks.

I would make that trade in an instant.

Hopefully it will occur to the President too - like he did with amnesty for so called Dreamers - in exchange for the wall.

Then we will see who really wants to fix things - when they must give up something they don't want to.
2/15/18 11:48 am

Post Let's be honest...the AR-15 is really about feeling "bad" Aaron Scott
No one outside of the armed forces has a true "need" for an AR-15 type rifle. Now, for the paranoid, you can't make a weapon that does too much damage.

Consider that a shotgun, pistol, or regular hunting rifle is MORE THAN ENOUGH to defend one's home from bad guys...unless those bad guys are SEALS or something...in which case nothing you have is going to save you.

ANYONE who hears the distinctive sound of a shotgun shell being pumped into the firing chamber is going to run. If they don't, then having a shotgun is better than having an AR-15, since you don't have to be particularly skilled in aiming.

I think most men have an AR-15 either because of compensation issues, paranoia, or (and I think this is the largest category) it makes them feel like a bad dude.

Now, there's nothing wrong with that! But when we KNOW that an AR-15 is going to allow someone to kill a number of people in a very short time (as opposed to an intruder and his intruder friend trying to get in your house), we probably need to rethink some things.

A gun is for the defense of one's property and person...and for hunting. A shotgun or hunting rifle can BOTH do extraordinary damage against a person...but the AR-15 is PRECISELY designed for EXTREME cases--e.g., a whole squad of cartel guys is trying to get in your house. The truth is that even a shotgun would make someone think twice in such a case...but the AR-15's only unique purpose is that sort of fast and mass killing. It doesn't serve a legitimate hunting or personal protection need.

Yes, if we have a zombie apocalypse, maybe you'll need one. AND THAT IS THE PROBLEM: WE HAVE PEOPLE WHO THINK THAT WILL HAPPEN!!! This is probably the kind of person that most certainly should NOT have a gun.

Ask yourself a question: WHERE do we draw the line? Why can't a person also mine their front yard? Why can't they have Claymore mines? Why not a Daisycutter bomb? Why not nuclear weapons?

I mean, we DO have the right to defend ourselves, right???

Here's the problem, I think: For better or worse, the AR-15 type gun has been the weapon of choice in a number of these mass killings. Yes, a pistol will kill you, too...but the AR-15 is the perfect weapon for mass killing...since it can be obtained legally (and not by having to smuggle plutonium out of Europe, etc.)

We speak of "justifiable force." A shotgun (for self-protection) is justifiable force/firepower. It could be easily argued that the AR-15 goes beyond what is necessary to defend oneself and family.

A possible thing is "gun insurance." If you own an AR-15 (or any gun deemed beyond justifiable force), you MUST have insurance on any illegal damage it does. If you are caught with such a gun and do not have insurance, you perhaps risk prison. We'd do that if someone had their own nuclear weapon, wouldn't we?

I'm just sick of hearing the same story: An assault type rifle was used to kill a number of innocent people.

Leave those types of guns to our military. They are OUR military. They are NOT the enemy (as back in Revolutionary times when the British military turned against Americans).

People are still going to die from gun violence, but maybe, just maybe, we can make it harder to do, and less damaging in any case.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/15/18 11:52 am

Post Re: What is the purpose for the AR-15? Resident Skeptic
Chicago27 wrote:

Self defense is the purpose of the AR-15. The gun is also a reminder to DC that the people of the States have the power to deal with traitorous politicians.
2/15/18 12:58 pm

Post Re: Let's be honest...the AR-15 is really about feeling "bad" Resident Skeptic
Aaron Scott wrote:
No one outside of the armed forces has a true "need" for an AR-15 type rifle. Now, for the paranoid, you can't make a weapon that does too much damage.

Consider that a shotgun, pistol, or regular hunting rifle is MORE THAN ENOUGH to defend one's home from bad guys...unless those bad guys are SEALS or something...in which case nothing you have is going to save you.

ANYONE who hears the distinctive sound of a shotgun shell being pumped into the firing chamber is going to run. If they don't, then having a shotgun is better than having an AR-15, since you don't have to be particularly skilled in aiming.

I think most men have an AR-15 either because of compensation issues, paranoia, or (and I think this is the largest category) it makes them feel like a bad dude.

Now, there's nothing wrong with that! But when we KNOW that an AR-15 is going to allow someone to kill a number of people in a very short time (as opposed to an intruder and his intruder friend trying to get in your house), we probably need to rethink some things.

A gun is for the defense of one's property and person...and for hunting. A shotgun or hunting rifle can BOTH do extraordinary damage against a person...but the AR-15 is PRECISELY designed for EXTREME cases--e.g., a whole squad of cartel guys is trying to get in your house. The truth is that even a shotgun would make someone think twice in such a case...but the AR-15's only unique purpose is that sort of fast and mass killing. It doesn't serve a legitimate hunting or personal protection need.

Yes, if we have a zombie apocalypse, maybe you'll need one. AND THAT IS THE PROBLEM: WE HAVE PEOPLE WHO THINK THAT WILL HAPPEN!!! This is probably the kind of person that most certainly should NOT have a gun.

Ask yourself a question: WHERE do we draw the line? Why can't a person also mine their front yard? Why can't they have Claymore mines? Why not a Daisycutter bomb? Why not nuclear weapons?

I mean, we DO have the right to defend ourselves, right???

Here's the problem, I think: For better or worse, the AR-15 type gun has been the weapon of choice in a number of these mass killings. Yes, a pistol will kill you, too...but the AR-15 is the perfect weapon for mass killing...since it can be obtained legally (and not by having to smuggle plutonium out of Europe, etc.)

We speak of "justifiable force." A shotgun (for self-protection) is justifiable force/firepower. It could be easily argued that the AR-15 goes beyond what is necessary to defend oneself and family.

A possible thing is "gun insurance." If you own an AR-15 (or any gun deemed beyond justifiable force), you MUST have insurance on any illegal damage it does. If you are caught with such a gun and do not have insurance, you perhaps risk prison. We'd do that if someone had their own nuclear weapon, wouldn't we?

I'm just sick of hearing the same story: An assault type rifle was used to kill a number of innocent people.

Leave those types of guns to our military. They are OUR military. They are NOT the enemy (as back in Revolutionary times when the British military turned against Americans).

People are still going to die from gun violence, but maybe, just maybe, we can make it harder to do, and less damaging in any case.

Horrible post. Aaron. One false premise after another.
2/15/18 1:00 pm

MrSippi wrote:
Chicago27 wrote:

One reason is to protect myself against people who illegally possess an AR-15. It is difficult to defend against an AR-15 with a 6 shot pistol or a shotgun.

Hey Aaron. This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
2/15/18 1:01 pm

Post UncleJD
Can we propose a ban on Aaron responding to gun posts? He has no clue. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
2/15/18 4:14 pm

Post Re: What is the purpose for the AR-15? Chicago27
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Chicago27 wrote:

Self defense is the purpose of the AR-15. The gun is also a reminder to DC that the people of the States have the power to deal with traitorous politicians.

So, I could fight off the US Army with my AR-15? Cool.
Friendly Face
2/15/18 4:59 pm

Post Resident... Aaron Scott
Resident Skeptic wrote:
MrSippi wrote:
Chicago27 wrote:

Hey Aaron. This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wait. Are people with AR-15s bulletproof? Are you telling me that a rifle or shotgun won’t stop someone with an assault rifle? Does it make them invisible too?
2/15/18 5:27 pm

Post UncleJD... Aaron Scott
UncleJD wrote:
Can we propose a ban on Aaron responding to gun posts? He has no clue.

The premise of the 2nd Amendment had a LOT to do with the fact that the British wanted us defenseless to impose their will. We are no longer in this situation....

If the president ordered the Army to, say, gun down American civilians, they would refuse. Why? Because they ARE us...they have families...they know we’re not the enemy.

BUT if they DID want to take us out, do you suppose we own any weapons that would stop a drone strike?

I simply am arguing to eliminate the one gun that is expressly designed to kill many quickly. We simply have no justifiable reason for it in America...especially with the carnage that these weapons bring to innocents.
2/15/18 5:35 pm

Post Re: Resident... Dave Dorsey
Aaron Scott wrote:
Wait. Are people with AR-15s bulletproof? Are you telling me that a rifle or shotgun won’t stop someone with an assault rifle? Does it make them invisible too?

I'm increasingly sympathetic to your view of things as more and more of these awful events occur, but this isn't exactly how a firefight happens, with two guys pew pew pewing at each other with their weapons. In a firefight, a rifle with higher accuracy and a higher capacity is going to win almost every time. A semi-automatic is a larger weapon that can be braced against the body to provide better accuracy. They're also easier to sight; aiming a handgun is actually really, really hard. Additionally, a 10 round magazine will disappear before you know it in a firefight. An AR-15's standard capacity is 30 rounds, so while your opponent is fumbling for a spare magazine, you're able to continue laying down fire. It would take an extremely talented marksman to overcome an AR-15-wielding opponent with a pistol.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/15/18 5:40 pm

Post Dave... Aaron Scott
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

I'm increasingly sympathetic to your view of things as more and more of these awful events occur, but this isn't exactly how a firefight happens, with two guys pew pew pewing at each other with their weapons. In a firefight, a rifle with higher accuracy and a higher capacity is going to win almost every time. A semi-automatic is a larger weapon that can be braced against the body to provide better accuracy. They're also easier to sight; aiming a handgun is actually really, really hard. Additionally, a 10 round magazine will disappear before you know it in a firefight. An AR-15's standard capacity is 30 rounds, so while your opponent is fumbling for a spare magazine, you're able to continue laying down fire. It would take an extremely talented marksman to overcome an AR-15-wielding opponent with a pistol.

Indeed, in a FIREFIGHT, having an AR-15 might give you a nominal (or even a dramatic) advantage over a shotgun, hunting rifle, and certainly a pistol/revolver.

But this harks back, I think, to our tendency to be paranoid about just what sort of situations we will face. If we are fighting a war, then YES, bring on the AR-15s and everything like them.

But in terms of what is required to protect one's person or property, you have to come up with some pretty extreme scenarios to justify the ACTUAL need for an AR-15.

If we are fighting people with night vision and body armor, there is almost nothing we could do to win in such a situation. Or if we're facing 15 super-soldiers, etc. But in almost any scenario that one could reasonably expect themselves to encounter, a pistol, rifle, or shotgun is plenty...if not more than enough.

I do hear you, though, my brother. I am just thinking that if people can come up with the crazy scenarios that I can come up with at times, then, yes, we are all going to want AR-15s...and grenades...and a tank. But in reality, the most any of us will face--THE MOST--is PERHAPS someone trying to break in your house...and who will flee at the first sign that you know they are there.
2/15/18 6:17 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Any time two individuals are discharging weapons at each other, it's a firefight. Robbery, home invasion, anything. Firefight.

If someone invades your home and encounters you in your bedroom with a pistol, you're going to be in a firefight. Not a lot of imagination is required to picture these situations occurring.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/15/18 6:41 pm

Chicago27 wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Chicago27 wrote:

So, I could fight off the US Army with my AR-15? Cool.

Who said anyhing about the army? Most of the military would be on our side.
2/15/18 7:28 pm

Post Re: Dave... Resident Skeptic
Aaron Scott wrote:
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

Indeed, in a FIREFIGHT, having an AR-15 might give you a nominal (or even a dramatic) advantage over a shotgun, hunting rifle, and certainly a pistol/revolver.

But this harks back, I think, to our tendency to be paranoid about just what sort of situations we will face. If we are fighting a war, then YES, bring on the AR-15s and everything like them.

But in terms of what is required to protect one's person or property, you have to come up with some pretty extreme scenarios to justify the ACTUAL need for an AR-15.

If we are fighting people with night vision and body armor, there is almost nothing we could do to win in such a situation. Or if we're facing 15 super-soldiers, etc. But in almost any scenario that one could reasonably expect themselves to encounter, a pistol, rifle, or shotgun is plenty...if not more than enough.

I do hear you, though, my brother. I am just thinking that if people can come up with the crazy scenarios that I can come up with at times, then, yes, we are all going to want AR-15s...and grenades...and a tank. But in reality, the most any of us will face--THE MOST--is PERHAPS someone trying to break in your house...and who will flee at the first sign that you know they are there.

Last I checked we have a "Bill of RIGHTS", not a "Bill of NEEDS".

And going back to the colonial times, nobody tried to own cannons or grenades. But they did have rifles that were on par with that of the military. We don't even that. The military's rifles are fully automatic. Ours are not.
2/15/18 7:30 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic