Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

PTS & Holy Spirit a “She”?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post PTS & Holy Spirit a “She”? Charlie Earl
Does the official COG seminary (PTS) affirm that the Holy Spirit is a “she”? Just curious as one of your faculty apparently does. This is based on recent social media statements by a current professor. Just curious if this continued feminization of the seminary is embraced officially by admin? I assume they must? And do they (institutionally)agree that the Holy Spirit is the feminine nature of Trinity? Just wondering?
2/10/18 7:52 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Can you provide the content of the statement that led you off on this long string of uncharitable assumptions?

The gender of πνεῦμα is neutral. There's some disagreement among even conservative Greek scholars concerning whether ekeinos associates grammatical masculinity with πνεῦμα or only with παράκλητος (parakletos). There is an early view among some Church Fathers associating the Wisdom of God in Proverbs 8 with the Holy Spirit. The neutral gender of πνεῦμα has been a source of debate throughout church history.

If someone is telling people these things in a seminary, they are educating them, not feminizing seminary. Someone could certainly take this to propose that the Holy Spirit is female, and that would be theologically incorrect. But if someone is talking about the grammatical issues associated with the Holy Spirit's revealed gender, that doesn't mean they're trying to make Him a she.

By the way, the notion that God is ontologically female is as silly as the notion that God is ontologically male. He reveals Himself as Father and Son, and Trinitarian language should be masculine as a result. But assigning an ontological gender is a category error. He reveals Himself in masculine imagery and feminine imagery (Isa 42:2, Isa 49:14-15, Isa 66:12-13, Deut 32:18, Ps 131:2, Acts 17:28, etc).
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/10/18 8:07 am

Post Re: PTS & Holy Spirit a “She”? Resident Skeptic
Charlie Earl wrote:
Does the official COG seminary (PTS) affirm that the Holy Spirit is a “she”? Just curious as one of your faculty apparently does. This is based on recent social media statements by a current professor. Just curious if this continued feminization of the seminary is embraced officially by admin? I assume they must? And do they (institutionally)agree that the Holy Spirit is the feminine nature of Trinity? Just wondering?

This is an indirect result of making the Spirit a separate person from the Father to begin with. It is inconceivable that the Jews viewed the "God that created the Heavens and the Earth" and "the Spirit of God that moved over the face of the waters" as anything other than the same "person". Jesus said of the Father, "God is Spirit". Jehovah said that in the last days "I will pour out of MY Spirit upon all flesh". The Holy Ghost overshadowed Mary and she conceived. Did Jesus have 2 Fathers?

In Bible College, the textbook for our Theology class was one printed by the Four Square organization. In the chapter of about the Trinity, God the Father took up dozens of pages as well as God the son. Interestingly, God the Holy Ghost took up very few pages. This speaks very loudly.

Jesus said that the Spirit would be "another Comforter", not another God. He is another Comforter because the one who was currently the disciple's Comforter was about to bodily depart to Heaven and would no longer be visible to them. But this does not at all mean that the Spirit would be anyone or anything different than as the Jews understood him beginning in Genesis 1:2. The Holy Spirit is God, the masculine "He" who stretched for the Heavens ALONE.
2/10/18 12:23 pm

Post Re: PTS & Holy Spirit a “She”? Isa 58:12
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Charlie Earl wrote:

This is an indirect result of making the Spirit a separate person from the Father to begin with. It is inconceivable that the Jews viewed the "God that created the Heavens and the Earth" and "the Spirit of God that moved over the face of the waters" as anything other than the same "person". Jesus said of the Father, "God is Spirit". Jehovah said that in the last days "I will pour out of MY Spirit upon all flesh". The Holy Ghost overshadowed Mary and she conceived. Did Jesus have 2 Fathers?

In Bible College, the textbook for our Theology class was one printed by the Four Square organization. In the chapter of about the Trinity, God the Father took up dozens of pages as well as God the son. Interestingly, God the Holy Ghost took up very few pages. This speaks very loudly.

Jesus said that the Spirit would be "another Comforter", not another God. He is another Comforter because the one who was currently the disciple's Comforter was about to bodily depart to Heaven and would no longer be visible to them. But this does not at all mean that the Spirit would be anyone or anything different than as the Jews understood him beginning in Genesis 1:2. The Holy Spirit is God, the masculine "He" who stretched for the Heavens ALONE.

For the 1st time, u & I are in total agreement 😋

It's like school with books for children saying that they're little girls and that's okay. Teaching boys that's okay to be girls is disgusting. I chalk this up with that

Last edited by Isa 58:12 on 2/10/18 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
2/10/18 12:45 pm

Post CONSPIRACY: A doctrinal plot to get women ordained as bishops! Aaron Scott
SMILE.... Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/10/18 2:39 pm

Post I think we all know that God is not "male" in the sense that humans are male. Aaron Scott
He transcends gender divisions. We know that. And yet, God CHOSE to call Himself a FATHER. Why? I think it was at least two-fold: 1) To distinguish from the many goddess religions of that time and place; and 2) because He functions more in the stereotypical father sense (I think) than in the stereotypical mother sense.

However, since we agree that God is neither male nor female in the traditional sense of the word, we still see that God is represented as a FATHER...and as a SON. But that clearly begs the question of, "If there is a Father, and if there is a Son, then is there a Mother?"

I don't consider the Holy Ghost to be feminine in any particular way (certainly no more so than the Father or Son), but if MAY BE that, in keeping with the familial assignments of Father and Son, there could be someone who, while neither male nor female, functions in some sense as the Mother element to the Father and Son.

Possible?

Again, this is not something that should even be considered worth mentioning doctrinally. It serves no further purpose, I don't think. HOWEVER, if may be beneficial in terms of us realizing that God is wanting to present to the world a portrait that can be understood by human--that of a family.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/10/18 8:43 pm

Post Re: I think we all know that God is not "male" in the sense that humans are male. Resident Skeptic
Aaron Scott wrote:
He transcends gender divisions. We know that. And yet, God CHOSE to call Himself a FATHER. Why? I think it was at least two-fold: 1) To distinguish from the many goddess religions of that time and place; and 2) because He functions more in the stereotypical father sense (I think) than in the stereotypical mother sense.

However, since we agree that God is neither male nor female in the traditional sense of the word, we still see that God is represented as a FATHER...and as a SON. But that clearly begs the question of, "If there is a Father, and if there is a Son, then is there a Mother?"

I don't consider the Holy Ghost to be feminine in any particular way (certainly no more so than the Father or Son), but if MAY BE that, in keeping with the familial assignments of Father and Son, there could be someone who, while neither male nor female, functions in some sense as the Mother element to the Father and Son.

Possible?

Again, this is not something that should even be considered worth mentioning doctrinally. It serves no further purpose, I don't think. HOWEVER, if may be beneficial in terms of us realizing that God is wanting to present to the world a portrait that can be understood by human--that of a family.

If the Father and Son are "persons" of a being called God, then how is their Father and Son relationship even real? It seems more like some sort of role playing.
2/10/18 11:31 pm

Post Re: I think we all know that God is not "male" in the sense that humans are male. Cojak
Aaron Scott wrote:

Possible?

in agreement and well stated. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/10/18 11:34 pm

Post Re: I think we all know that God is not "male" in the sense that humans are male. Dave Dorsey
Aaron Scott wrote:

The Son is eternally begotten of the Father, and the Holy Spirit eternally proceeds from the Father and the Son. It's hard to see any hint or possibility in Scripture of a "Mother element" in the Godhead.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/11/18 7:07 am

Post Re: PTS & Holy Spirit a “She”? Chicago27
Charlie Earl wrote:

If the post is public on social media, why not call the name of the professor? Are you afraid that someone will investigate and see that you are telling half the story? Just tell it straight up!
Friendly Face
2/12/18 10:28 am

Post Re: PTS & Holy Spirit a “She”? Mat
Chicago27 wrote:
Charlie Earl wrote:

If the post is public on social media, why not call the name of the professor? Are you afraid that someone will investigate and see that you are telling half the story? Just tell it straight up!

Maybe the student was "half" listening.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
2/12/18 10:40 am

Post Dave... Aaron Scott
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

The Son is eternally begotten of the Father, and the Holy Spirit eternally proceeds from the Father and the Son. It's hard to see any hint or possibility in Scripture of a "Mother element" in the Godhead.

I agree that there is not SCRIPTURAL notion of a mother element. I am simply saying that if one posits a Father and a Son, then, in keeping with the analogy, it is not hard to think there is a Mother element. But it is not, as you mentioned, a scriptural position. At the same time, it is not necessarily a non-scriptural one...even if I would be VERY UNCOMFORTABLE if someone taught it as a possibility or fact.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/12/18 12:00 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic