Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

How old is too old to accept a new church?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post How old is too old to accept a new church? FLRon
The correct answer of course,is if God is in it age doesn’t matter. From a practical perspective however, we know that when a person reaches a certain age, opportunities either dry up completely or else they are few and far between. Not to mention that with age comes a decline in health,stamina,desire, and a whole host of other things necessary to be an effective pastor.

But what if the rare opportunity does present itself to you and you are in your 60’s or 70’s? Assuming you still had the stamina to be effective in a pastoral role, would you accept it, and if you answer yes, WHY would you? Especially since at this age most pastors are ready to ride off into the sunset!

So, I’m interested in hearing your thoughts about how old is too old to accept a new pastorate,especially interested in hearing from some who may have done this.
2/9/18 11:29 pm

Post Preacher777
I really don't think it is practical or Biblical to place an age restriction on the pastorate. Many other cultures respect and look to the ldrerly as authorities. I sure hope that in the next 10-20 years I learn more about the Bible and common sense practical knowledge through life's experiences. My goal is to be challenged daily by others who want to grow and learn more about God.

Yes, I wish I had the energy of a 25 year-old. I am not pointing fingers at others but I am glad for the ability to learn and not do the supid things I did at 35 or 45 again because I learned from my dumb mistakes. Maybe I am in the minority but when needing advice (natural or spiritual) I am much more likely to look to somebody 20 years older than me with a proven track record in life and ministry than somebody 20 years younger.

Another advantage for elderly pastros is that most should be able to use the younger people in ministry and help others develop their giftings. One reason is because of the energy level that is missing as compared to younger pastors. Another factor is that without children to raise (as compared to younger pastors) the elderly has more time to help other ministers develop.

When young I and most pastors who are honest would admit we had ambitions to be the mega-ministry and the man of the hour. Healthy elderly pastors are content with the flock in his or her care and want to see younger people grow. One is less threatened when realizing that they can't proselytize or steal part of the church when we are not trying to build a big thing for ourselves.

I am content where I am and haven't considered anything else in manny years. However, i am aware most churches want younger pastors. What age is considered too old by most churches looking for a pastor? One last factor to consider is that if one is healthy we need to realize retirement is not a Biblical principle.
Friendly Face
2/10/18 7:34 am

Post Dave Dorsey
This is another great argument for having a plurality of pastor-elders rather than a single pastor. With a plurality of pastor-elders, the answer is "never". Having a 90 year-old on that team providing his wisdom and perspective to the other elders would be an amazing blessing.

I wouldn't want to accept a single pastor role in my 70s, 60s, 50s, 40s or 30s. It's too much for one person. But as a pastor-elder, or a lead pastor-elder supported by other pastor-elders? I don't think age really comes into it.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/10/18 7:42 am

Post My opinion? roughridercog
Most churches today don't want an older man. If I suddenly decided to come out of retirement, I'd probably have to start a new work.
2/10/18 1:49 pm

Post My opinion? roughridercog
Most churches today don't want an older man. If I suddenly decided to come out of retirement, I'd probably have to start a new work.
2/10/18 1:49 pm

Post Da Sheik
We talk a lot about eliminating discrimination in our country. But one that is alive and well is age discrimination. Nobody talks about it, but it’s real. It’s very difficult for anyone over a certain age to get a job at all. Sadly, the church is no different than the secular. Acts Enthusiast
2/10/18 2:22 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I have often thought about the incredible contrast between our current society’s lack of appreciation for elders in general, and the respect for elders and especially elders in leadership (like Moses, Samuel, and the Apostle John for example) that is so notable in Holy Writ. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/10/18 2:35 pm

Post Da Sheik
This is relevant for me because this will likely be my last assignment due to my age. I could retire now but I still love pastoring and the church still loves me and I’m in relatively good health. I look forward to continuing to mentor pastors and doing some consultant work. Acts Enthusiast
2/10/18 6:30 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Churches that are small and in financial difficulty don't have a lot of choices. A retired pastor that was 85 took a small, struggling church here in NC & stayed there a year or so until his health forced him back into retirement.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/10/18 7:20 pm

Post FLRon
Da Sheik wrote:
We talk a lot about eliminating discrimination in our country. But one that is alive and well is age discrimination. Nobody talks about it, but it’s real. It’s very difficult for anyone over a certain age to get a job at all. Sadly, the church is no different than the secular.

Couldn’t agree more. When I was in the corporate world I was “reassigned”,or moved horizontally when I reached the age of 59. No explanations were given, even though I asked for and was granted a meeting with the executive that made the decision. When I asked if I’d done something wrong he was quick to say I had done nothing wrong. He simply wanted to make a change.

The person that replaced me was 13 years my junior. Coincidence? I think not.

And yes, I have seen many older pastors edged out, as well as witness many older ministers denied one opportunity after another.
2/10/18 8:04 pm

Post Re: My opinion? FLRon
roughridercog wrote:

What are some of the reasons that churches don’t want an older pastor?

Does image carry more weight than it should,meaning a smiling,young,energetic face is more desirable than one with a few wrinkles?

If this is true, what does this say about the church’s priorities being in order?
2/10/18 8:08 pm

Post FLRon
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
I have often thought about the incredible contrast between our current society’s lack of appreciation for elders in general, and the respect for elders and especially elders in leadership (like Moses, Samuel, and the Apostle John for example) that is so notable in Holy Writ.

Years ago an elderly sister in the church came to me to share her heart over being “set aside” in favor of a younger person. Her chief complaint was that all of the elderly saints were being told they weren’t needed,that it was time for the younger ones to take over.

While her statement was a bit of an exaggeration, her point was well taken because that I’d exactly what was taking place in our church.

The church does itself great harm by not utilizing its senior members in leadership positions. It’s almost like we are counting their wisdom and experience as no longer needed, when we all know how untrue that is.
2/10/18 8:15 pm

Post Dean Steenburgh
I'll be 59 pretty soon ...might as well say 60 at this point in terms of cultural perception.
I wouldn't think twice about going to another church if the Lord led me & I was voted in.
Smile

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
2/10/18 9:40 pm

Post Just a number SouthFloridaman
You are never too old. Calling is from God. I think multigenerationalism is a mindset not a age. Just be mindful of the differences in ages and accomadate. Also have a voice for every 10 years of age difference take there opinions into consideration. Have a spiritually mature late teen 18+ have someone in there 20’s, 3o’s 40’s exc. also be mindful of where you lean culturely and use those people as balance so you don’t swing to far in one direction Friendly Face
2/10/18 10:45 pm

Post Cojak
I am sure a 79 year old opinion is discarded as nearly senile. But one morning early i drove by my home church, In noticed the pastors car there and the secretaries. So I stopped to talked to him. We, his gypsy members were leaving town soon, and he was retiring.

He is in his mid 60's. He stated to me that he needed to find some area of income, since he was retiring. That type of thing shocks me. He has pastored top salary churches and taught in college as a part time job and his wife has worked full time. He is retiring and not ready to.
He felt like his time was up at our present church, it is slowly going down. In my mind I am saying, you are 12 years younger than I, why not look for another church.

WE all know if you presently have a church, (job) it is easier to 'swap' or be appointed by an overseer than if you have none.

NO, YOU ARE NEVER TOO OLD TO BE A BLESSING, but age sure does cut down on the opportunities that give some compensation.

I am an old man, but some of my best pastors have been older than I was.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/10/18 11:19 pm

Post Cojak
I am sure a 79 year old opinion is discarded as nearly senile. But one morning early i drove by my home church, In noticed the pastors car there and the secretaries. So I stopped to talked to him. We, his gypsy members were leaving town soon, and he was retiring.

He is in his mid 60's. He stated to me that he needed to find some area of income, since he was retiring. That type of thing shocks me. He has pastored top salary churches and taught in college as a part time job and his wife has worked full time. He is retiring and not ready to.
He felt like his time was up at our present church, it is slowly going down. In my mind I am saying, you are 12 years younger than I, why not look for another church.

WE all know if you presently have a church, (job) it is easier to 'swap' or be appointed by an overseer than if you have none.

NO, YOU ARE NEVER TOO OLD TO BE A BLESSING, but age sure does cut down on the opportunities that give some compensation.

01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/10/18 11:27 pm

Post Dean Steenburgh
Cojak wrote:

Good word!
My dad is till on our leadership team at 80 & he has been aCOG Bishop for 57 years or since he was 23.
He & mom celebrated their 61st anniversary today!
BTW, he also has a small church of his own on the other side of town that doesn't run very much & they have an odd schedule but he keeps busy with it Smile

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
2/11/18 12:47 am

Post Link
Biblically, shouldn't we expect there to be aged pastors?

Let's consider the Biblical background for the pastoral ministry. Who did the apostles appoint to oversee and pastor local churches? In Acts 13-14, Paul and Barnabas preached and left behind believers in various cities. Apparently, the believers gathered together as churches. But it wasn't until some time later that Paul and Barnabas returned and appointed leaders. What kind of elders, elders?

The Bible says they appointed elders in every church. That could also be translated they appointed 'older men' in every church. In Acts 20:28, Paul tells the elders of the church in Ephesus to pastor the church of God over whom the Holy Ghost had made them bishops/overseers. In I Peter 5, Peter tells the elders to pastor the flock of God and take the oversight thereof. He tells them when the chief Pastor shall appear, they shall receive a crown of glory that does not fade away.

Is there any indication that elders are 'older men' in scripture? There is the meaning of the word 'presbuteros.' But there are also other hints in the passage. After addressing the elders in I Peter 5, Peter tells the younger to submit unto the elder, indicating some sort of age difference there. In I Timothy 5, Paul says not to rebuke an elder harshly, but to entreat him as a father. The passage goes on to deal with older widows, another class related to age. Then the pastor uses the plural of the same word for 'elder' used at the opening of the chapter to refer to the elders who rule well being worthy of double honor, particularly those who give themselves to preaching and teaching.

And the idea of elders in the church was not created in a vaccuum. It carried over from the Old Testament. Israel had elders, and Moses called together 70, or 72, of them, and the Lord put the Spirit that was on Moses on them and they prophesied. The tribes had elders, and later when the tribes settled into their cities, there were elders at the city gate.

In the first century, the Jews were lead by the Sanhedrin, 70 men who were supposed carry on the role of the 70 elders of Israel. A portion of these came from the chief priests and scribes. Others were called 'elders.'
These may have risen up from the judge positions in Israel. According to the Jewish scholar Maimoinodes, they would have been at least 60.

Some other important facts to note about these elders, these bishops, who were tasked with pastoring the local church in New Testament times are that:

- The passages that mention their appointment indicate that they were appointed to be elders from within their own congregations.
- The apostles appointed more than one of them in a single church.

If a church has more than one elder, if one gets far along in years, he can still be an elder of the church, but if he grows feeble with age, other elders can share the load with him.
2/11/18 12:46 pm

Post 43 FG Minister
43, maybe 44. Acts-celerater
2/11/18 3:08 pm

Post FLRon
Link wrote:
Biblically, shouldn't we expect there to be aged pastors?

Let's consider the Biblical background for the pastoral ministry. Who did the apostles appoint to oversee and pastor local churches? In Acts 13-14, Paul and Barnabas preached and left behind believers in various cities. Apparently, the believers gathered together as churches. But it wasn't until some time later that Paul and Barnabas returned and appointed leaders. What kind of elders, elders?

The Bible says they appointed elders in every church. That could also be translated they appointed 'older men' in every church. In Acts 20:28, Paul tells the elders of the church in Ephesus to pastor the church of God over whom the Holy Ghost had made them bishops/overseers. In I Peter 5, Peter tells the elders to pastor the flock of God and take the oversight thereof. He tells them when the chief Pastor shall appear, they shall receive a crown of glory that does not fade away.

Is there any indication that elders are 'older men' in scripture? There is the meaning of the word 'presbuteros.' But there are also other hints in the passage. After addressing the elders in I Peter 5, Peter tells the younger to submit unto the elder, indicating some sort of age difference there. In I Timothy 5, Paul says not to rebuke an elder harshly, but to entreat him as a father. The passage goes on to deal with older widows, another class related to age. Then the pastor uses the plural of the same word for 'elder' used at the opening of the chapter to refer to the elders who rule well being worthy of double honor, particularly those who give themselves to preaching and teaching.

And the idea of elders in the church was not created in a vaccuum. It carried over from the Old Testament. Israel had elders, and Moses called together 70, or 72, of them, and the Lord put the Spirit that was on Moses on them and they prophesied. The tribes had elders, and later when the tribes settled into their cities, there were elders at the city gate.

In the first century, the Jews were lead by the Sanhedrin, 70 men who were supposed carry on the role of the 70 elders of Israel. A portion of these came from the chief priests and scribes. Others were called 'elders.'
These may have risen up from the judge positions in Israel. According to the Jewish scholar Maimoinodes, they would have been at least 60.

Some other important facts to note about these elders, these bishops, who were tasked with pastoring the local church in New Testament times are that:

- The passages that mention their appointment indicate that they were appointed to be elders from within their own congregations.
- The apostles appointed more than one of them in a single church.

If a church has more than one elder, if one gets far along in years, he can still be an elder of the church, but if he grows feeble with age, other elders can share the load with him.

This is good stuff right here!
2/11/18 4:43 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic