Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Thoughts on cremation?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Thoughts on cremation? FLRon
Was just reading the linked article regarding whether or not cremation is an option for believers. My personal belief is that if God can create DNA and the atom, He can surely put these bodies back together at the resurrection. Not saying cremation is my first choice, but it does have its merits, particularly from a cost perspective.

https://www.faithnews.cc/?p=26104
2/7/18 2:18 pm

Post UncleJD
I always think about those martyrs who were burned for our Lord's sake. I don't think God cares how the body decomposes. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
2/7/18 2:24 pm

Post Da Sheik
The biblical model seems to be burial (even the Lord buried Moses in a hidden location). Without a clear prohibition against cremation, I couldn't declare it to be wrong. I too, think about victims of fire and those buried at sea, etc. Cremation offers a much more economical solution for families short on funds. Funeral costs can be a tremendous hardship on the survivors. Acts Enthusiast
2/7/18 3:06 pm

Post ashes to ashes and dust to dust wayne
Just speeding up the process. Acts Enthusiast
2/7/18 3:10 pm

Post Re: ashes to ashes and dust to dust UncleJD
wayne wrote:
Just speeding up the process.

One of my favorite non-scripture scriptures Smile

jk, but I think that old saying derives from the fact that so many early Christians were burnt. I too prefer traditional burial, but cremation is not prohibited so I think its fine, especially if it lessens the burden of a difficult time.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
2/7/18 3:17 pm

Post Re: ashes to ashes and dust to dust Mat
UncleJD wrote:
wayne wrote:

jk, but I think that old saying derives from the fact that so many early Christians were burnt. I too prefer traditional burial, but cremation is not prohibited so I think its fine, especially if it lessens the burden of a difficult time.

The true is there is nothing "traditional" about the embalming methods used today. As Funeral Directors say, "if you weren't dead before embalming you will be afterwards." Traditional burial would be to wash the body, rap it in a shroud and bury it within 24 hours. Does it count if you bury the cremains in the ground? What about those people who are embalmed and placed in a mausoleum? Are they really "laid to rest."

By the way, cremation is not just putting the body in a furnace. The second step after the furnace is to place the ashes and bones in a processor (grinder). The family is given a box of ashes and told it is their loved one. That depends on how well they cleaned the grinder between "guests." All this makes being placed in an unmarked grave without embalming sound good to me.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
2/7/18 8:46 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
My aunt is a funeral director. In the state where she practices, Texas, one can have their loved one buried without embalming if they are buried within 24 hours of death. I could be mistaken, but such ‘immediate’ or ‘direct’ burial has to be offered by all funeral homes. This saves a substantial amount of the cost of burial. Most of the costs associated with funerals nowadays are due to people wanting to have the funeral several days after death, wanting their loved one’s body to look as if they are not dead but just sleeping, and wanting their loved on buried in a fancy casket. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/7/18 11:50 pm

Post Mat
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
My aunt is a funeral director. In the state where she practices, Texas, one can have their loved one buried without embalming if they are buried within 24 hours of death. I could be mistaken, but such ‘immediate’ or ‘direct’ burial has to be offered by all funeral homes. This saves a substantial amount of the cost of burial. Most of the costs associated with funerals nowadays are due to people wanting to have the funeral several days after death, wanting their loved one’s body to look as if they are not dead but just sleeping, and wanting their loved on buried in a fancy casket.

I have often thought if people saw death as it really is, and had to personally place their loved ones in the grave, there would be a greater understanding of the importance of the resurrection. How often do we preachers ask those who attend funerals to accept Christ as their Savior, only to see the confess of the moment last only as long as they saw the dead body. After the funeral, in most cases, they walk away from Jesus like they walk away from the grave.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
2/8/18 7:55 am

Post Chicago27
Dust to dust, ashes to ashes. Friendly Face
2/8/18 10:55 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Mat wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
My aunt is a funeral director. In the state where she practices, Texas, one can have their loved one buried without embalming if they are buried within 24 hours of death. I could be mistaken, but such ‘immediate’ or ‘direct’ burial has to be offered by all funeral homes. This saves a substantial amount of the cost of burial. Most of the costs associated with funerals nowadays are due to people wanting to have the funeral several days after death, wanting their loved one’s body to look as if they are not dead but just sleeping, and wanting their loved on buried in a fancy casket.

I have often thought if people saw death as it really is, and had to personally place their loved ones in the grave, there would be a greater understanding of the importance of the resurrection. How often do we preachers ask those who attend funerals to accept Christ as their Savior, only to see the confess of the moment last only as long as they saw the dead body. After the funeral, in most cases, they walk away from Jesus like they walk away from the grave.

Mat

While I do usually take the opportunity when speaking at a funeral to preach the gospel and thus offer true hope to the bereaved, I have never asked for a show of hands or for anyone to pray the so-called sinner’s prayer at a funeral. I typically always will say, no matter what the spiritual state of the decedent might have been, that if he or she were able to talk to you right now, I am positive that they would plead with you to repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ right now, and to follow Him all of your days.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/8/18 11:17 am

Post It does not matter.... Aaron Scott
There are no doubt Christians who have been eaten by wild animals...one piece with this animal, another with that one, etc.... God's going to resurrect believers no matter what. NO. MATTER. WHAT.

The problem with funerals is that they are often thrown together in moments of deep emotional concern. If your loved one dies, you are going to want to give them the best funeral you can...even if, in a quieter moment, you would not have dared spend so much money.

I am for cremation, for the most part. For one thing (and this sound a bit silly, but it's a fact), in the grave yard at Moore's Chapel in Cleveland, TN, an every increasing number of Scotts and their kin are buried there. In fact, there is no more room beside in the part of the graveyard where they are buried. But with cremation...it's really about as simple as a coffee can (SMILE)...and post hole diggers...in order to be buried alongside my loved ones.

Consider that the funeral industry would love to have Christians decide that it is wrong to cremate.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/8/18 11:39 am

Post Re: ashes to ashes and dust to dust wayne
UncleJD wrote:
wayne wrote:

Genesis 3:19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

close enough.
Acts Enthusiast
2/8/18 2:08 pm

Post FLRon
I think of the untold numbers who were basically vaporized during the dropping of the atomic bombs on Japan. If God can resurrect them,and I firmly believe He will, cremation is not that big of a deal. The issues lie with has become normal practice in our country, that of embalming and burial. The times they are a changing however.
2/8/18 5:51 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
The good Book neither condones/condemns the practice. In that light, it is a matter of personal choice.

Think about it, the good Book don't say nothin bout:

Bein buried at sea.
Havin ya casket bein placed in a vault.
Bein buried in a drawer in a mausoleum.
Acts-pert Poster
2/8/18 6:15 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

I think it depends on the state, and I am pretty sure NC does not offer that option. I think you have to get a concrete or steel case the casket goes in here and that alone is $1500. When my aunt passed, we had set amount to work with & the funeral home claimed they "helped us" bear the cost. We buried her in a doeskin casket, the cheapest one made, according the them.
2/8/18 9:32 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
I've always teased my husband that I would come back & haunt him if he cremated me. (And no, I don't believe in that.) But that's my personal preference. To each, his own...
2/8/18 9:35 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

I think it depends on the state, and I am pretty sure NC does not offer that option. I think you have to get a concrete or steel case the casket goes in here and that alone is $1500. When my aunt passed, we had set amount to work with & the funeral home claimed they "helped us" bear the cost. We buried her in a doeskin casket, the cheapest one made, according the them.

I did a quick search, and found a funeral home in Charlotte right away that offers immediate burial. My understanding is that it is required to be offered by all funeral homes in the USA.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/8/18 10:40 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Me an momma both is gonna be cremated. Acts-pert Poster
2/9/18 2:53 am

Post Mat
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

While the laws are different from state to state, and the funeral directors are a powerful political force (or have been). In many states the outer container the casket is put in is simply a requirement of the cemetery and there are private cemeteries that do not require it. They say it keeps the grave from sinking, but it seems that modern steel caskets by themselves could do the same thing. In some states you can get a permit to transport you deceased loved one in the back of your van,station-wagon or truck (if its covered).

Many people struggle with putting their loved ones in the "cold-wet ground", so they buy sealing caskets and sealing outer containers (which runs up the cost). As one embalmer told me, all they are doing is keeping the fluid inside the casket from mixing with the water outside the casket.

If you're going to go with a "traditional" funeral and burial, to save money, buy a non-sealing casket (wood caskets can't be sealed in most cases) and place your loved one in a cemetery that does not require an outer container. Go simple on the marker and remember in a generation the graveside will seldom be visited. However, the good news is Jesus knows exactly where they are.

Mat

PS I think you can buy caskets through Costco - big saving, but funeral directors do not like to work with caskets they did not sell.
Acts Enthusiast
2/9/18 8:53 am

Post chestnut ridge
UncleJD wrote:
I always think about those martyrs who were burned for our Lord's sake. I don't think God cares how the body decomposes.

spot on
Acts Enthusiast
2/12/18 5:20 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic