Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Resurrecting the Sunday night service ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: If you stop, its almost impossible to start back. chestnut ridge
skinnybishop wrote:
I believe I can speak to this situation, since I had a very similar experience. In 2007, I was appointed to a divided congregation. We only had one service, at 10:30 AM, and tired to mix traditional music with contemporary.

Not long after I came, members of the church and pastor's council began to lobby for a return to Sunday night services. The proponents of this move assured me that "everyone" wanted to have evening services, so I agreed. Big mistake.

Only about 25-30% of the people came back for evening service. Musicians wouldn't come back. Sound people wouldn't come back. Praise Team members wouldn't come back. I never knew who, or what I was going to have, in order to execute the worship service. Interestingly, some of the loudest proponents, were the most lax in their attendance.

I think resuming Sunday night is a mistake, based on my direct experience.
If you are lucky, 30% of your congregation will come back. With that number in mind, consider:

1. The church will have to run power, water, heat/air, etc.
2. The church will have to be staffed (music, sound, nursery, ushers)
3. You will have to prepare another sermon
4. What will that evening service accomplish?

To me....I said to ME.....Its likely that those who attend Sunday pm service are already saved. They are probably well established Christians. They probably went to the morning service. That is a lot of effort, just to preach to the choir.

I've heard every reason in the book, to have Sunday night and none of them hold water:

"We might get some visitors" (Not likely on Sunday night)
"We might get some people, whose churches don't have Sunday PM" (Uh...No, those folks are on the lake)
"Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy" (Really? What'd you do from 1:00-5:30)

Look, I know anything is possible. But clearly you don't feel good about resuming pm service. My suggestion? Make Sunday night a prayer service. No singing. No devotion. Just prayer. After a month, see what the evening attendance is.

Great post and on top of that, look for ways to re-purpose the Sunday afternoon/evening to free up a week day. For example, once a month some type of group fellowship (men, ladies, youth) and leave the other 3 Sunday evenings open. It's quality not quanity
Acts Enthusiast
2/12/18 5:35 pm

Post cogvegan
I grew up thinking the Sunday night services were always the best. There seem to be less time constraints and more of a move of God and the Holy Spirit. However, times have changed now. As a matter of fact, lots of things have changed. I think we have to adapt or else we fade out existence. That's not to say comprise our values and beliefs, but we have to remain relevant. Maybe do a Saturday night service? You have to be willing to meet the needs of your community. I think Sunday night services are a thing of the past and probably should be let go for the most part. Member
2/18/18 4:58 pm

Post lesserpower
I have been pastoring the same church for several years. We had a successful Sunday Evening service (roughly 85% of morning worship), but last year we went to 2 morning services because we are out of room. I was not willing to preach and have my praise team do two services in the AM, and come back at 6 and do it again, so we transitioned to small groups. We do not have as many attend the groups, but I am enjoying having new relationships form around the classes, and other leaders getting room to practice their giftings.
2/28/18 10:00 am

Post Take off the last Sunday of each month famousflavius
Go ahead and have the Sunday Night services with one exception, don't have any services on the last Sunday of each month. That way you will have one Sunday to recharge and not burn yourself and your members completely out. When I say no services I mean morning and evening. Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
3/2/18 7:52 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic