Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Here is a ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: What's New with the New Covenant? Isa 58:12
Mark Ledbetter wrote:
a modification of the old on these counts:

1. Jeremiah says the New covenant will be made with the House of Judah and the House of Israel. So, we must therefore determine just how the New Covenant applies to the Gentiles (and it does but not as many assume it to apply). - Jeremiah 31:33

2. The New Covenant declares God will "put" His "law within them and on their heart [He] will write it." - Ibid.

3. God modified the manner of perfecting the New Covenant by replacing the Priesthood with the more perfect Priest, and the Sacrifice (through which the New Covenant was ratified - Luke 22:20, cp. w Exodus 24:7-8), Jesus.

"When He said,"A new covenant" (see Hebrews 8:7-12, citing Jeremiah 31:27-34), He has made the first obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear." - Hebrew 8:13.

The most common assumption is God simply replaced the First/Old Covenant and enacted a new, separate covenant without any reference to the original. Both Jeremiah and Hebrews do not substantiate this position.

An analogy: Any time a law is modified it makes the old law obsolete and the new one takes its place not simply including the modification of the old but removing the modified components and making the new a part of that which is not modified.

Speeding as a law is designed to control the flow of traffic. If the actual law is modified by increasing the limit from 25 mph to 40 mph, the basic law is not changed but the application is changed to fit the circumstances. The law's provision for the 25 mph is obsolete and removed from the books. The "new" law is changed, not by removing the intent and substance of the law, but the modification of the law and becomes the "new" law.

Jeremiah, and the later citation in Hebrews, does not say the Law is removed but says it is to no longer be external, written on stones, but through the Holy Spirit, who provides the "spirit of the law" is written on hearts of flesh (Jeremiah 31:33; Ezekiel 36:26-27). The Prophets does not say "parts of the Law" but "The Law".

Because the Priesthood was flawed and not qualified to officiate the sacrifice, a qualified Priest, Jesus officiated. Further, because the sacrificial system was not sufficient to ratify the New Covenant, Jesus also became the perfect sacrifice.

Well said, well said, shalom 😉
2/1/18 7:45 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt... Aaron Scott
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:
The Law is way, way, way down from God's true standard. The Law says thou shalt not commit adultery. God's standard says to look upon a woman to lust after her....

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's. Exod 20:17 KJV

Fine. But what if it's not ANYONE's wife?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/1/18 8:39 pm

Post Aaron Mark Ledbetter
Job said, "I have made a covenant with my eyes; how then could I gaze at a virgin?"

Of course you may respond, "But what if she isn't a virgin?"

The Psalm of Solomon 4:4 "His eyes are on every woman indiscriminately [immodestly]"
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
2/1/18 8:50 pm

Post NT Wright Tom Sterbens
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/jesuscreed/2013/10/15/nt-wright-and-the-supersessionism-question-what-did-paul-do/ Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
2/1/18 10:47 pm

Post Re: NT Wright Isa 58:12
Tom Sterbens wrote:
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/jesuscreed/2013/10/15/nt-wright-and-the-supersessionism-question-what-did-paul-do/

Replacement theology..... Nonsense😕. I also read this Christian doctrine of supersessionism has parallels to Islam

That guy did not quote one verse in the Bible, and I just don't know where to start with that guy so I won't

Shalom shalom
2/2/18 1:14 am

Post Re: Lol bradfreeman
Isa 58:12 wrote:
Man, I have to do this from my phone, LOL and I messed it up lol

But I hope I answer your question Brad

So brad, is all fulfilled? There's not one verse that says all Commandments r done away from the believer. Just those small few points to aspects in Torah of Messiah fulfilled, not all. Because who does He fulfill farming Laws? Or sex with ur Family Laws? Or stealing, murdering, adultery? Aren't those broken by people all the time?

U need to correct Heb 7:17-19 to all of 7, because verse 12 gives u the answer to ur Scriptures. The Greek word for change is metatithemi meaning to transfer, lit, transport, change sides. The change in the Law of the Priesthood in Torah, not change of the Torah

😉[/quote]

A few thoughts on your comments:

Christ perfectly kept the Law...all of it. He was without sin.
Christ perfectly fulfilled every prophecy (Luke 24:44) and shadowy picture in the law (Col 2:20; Heb 10:1).
All of the law was about Him, not us (John 5:38; Heb 10:7).

As for your manufactured distinction between a "change in the Law of the priesthood in Torah" and a "change of the Torah"...it is meaningless. A change in the Law is a change in the Law. If the Law of priesthood is a "weak and useless" commandment (as the writer of Hebrews calls it, then it is part of the Law.

Jesus said:

Mat 5:17 “Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18 For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

If the smallest letter or stroke IN the Law has passed from the Law, then He accomplished all He came to do. He fulfilled the Law. God's Word did not return to Him without accomplishing all that it was sent to do.

Heb 7:18 For, on the one hand, there is a setting aside of a former commandment because of its weakness and uselessness

Metitathemi in verse 12 means to transpose, transfer or change. To transpose is to put one in place of another or a priesthood after the order of Melchizedek in place of a priesthood after the order of Levi. Verse 17 describes the "change" the commandment using the Greek "atheteis".

The Greek translated "setting aside" here is athetésis. It means: annulment (cancellation), i.e. what is rendered "no longer in effect" (literally, "no longer having a place").

Heb 8:13 When He said, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear.

Who made the first obsolete? Who was the "end of the law?"
It did, in fact, disappear when the temple was destroyed in 70 AD rendering it impossible for the Hebrews to continue to practice the old covenant.

Paul described the abolition of the Law this way:

Eph 2:14 For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one and broke down the barrier of the dividing wall, 15 by abolishing in His flesh the enmity, which is the Law of commandments contained in ordinances, so that in Himself He might make the two into one new man, thus establishing peace,

Jots and tittles have passed away.

Gal 3:19 Why the Law then? It was added because of transgressions, having been ordained through angels by the agency of a mediator, until the seed would come to whom the promise had been made.

The law was "added" "until the seed would come."
The law was added - it had a beginning.
Until the seed would come - it had an end.
Who ended it? The Seed. Christ is the end of the law for righteousness.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
2/2/18 7:09 am

Post Isa 58:12
Let me ask you this simple question Brad, has Heaven and Earth passed yet, has everything been accomplished or fulfilled in the Torah, Law, Bible yet?

Your asked the question using Matthew Chapter 5:17, 18 through 19 and you'll have your answer. Has Heaven & Earth not passed away yet? and all the prophecies in the Bible are not fulfilled yet so Torah, Law, Commandments, Instructions, are still for the believer 😇

And you said it right in the beginning that Messiah kept the Law perfect he did not "sin" so what is sin brad that's breaking a Commandment in the Law Instructions of G-d Torah means hit the mark sin means missing the mark that simple. Be his disciple, copy what he did, said, lived, and you will find yourself keeping the Torah 😃

Shalom, shalom 😇
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
2/2/18 7:32 am

Post Re: Aaron Aaron Scott
Mark Ledbetter wrote:
Job said, "I have made a covenant with my eyes; how then could I gaze at a virgin?"

Of course you may respond, "But what if she isn't a virgin?"

The Psalm of Solomon 4:4 "His eyes are on every woman indiscriminately [immodestly]"

Well, then, let's take circumcision. That is an absolute part of the Law. It is UNMISTAKABLY done away with as a requirement for Christians. Now, yes, anyone who wishes to follow Jewish dietary laws, etc., may certainly do so. But it does them adds not a thing to them in their standing with God. NOTHING.

Consider, too, that bacon is perfectly acceptable for the Christian...but not the observant Jew (or wannabes).

It is either deception or pretention to a large extent, I think, that causes a person to try to take on the various elements of the law when they don't have to. Now, it is likely a wonderful idea to NOT eat bacon (although, as anyone knows, God was dead wrong about this one, and almost certainly repented Himself after He had a bite)...but it is not at all necessary.

Consider that law about wearing clothes with mixed fabrics. That is completely amoral, and in our modern society, almost impossible.

Much of the Law, I think, is foolishness for modern man. NOT because God was wrong (except about bacon), but because God was using it, I think, for two reasons:

1) As a schoolmaster (per Paul); and

2) As a means of creating a separate and distinctive people. They were NOT like other people who could do willy-nilly and had no particular guidance.

A person who attempt "Jewishness" is certainly not wrong or evil for doing it. It is their prerogative. But it will gain a person nothing more than would be gained by a Christian who wanted to hold on to certain dear Islamic roots. Or Native American ceremonies. Or African tribal laws, etc.

It is not at all required. But what I tend to find is that those who embrace it believe that God is wanting this of all Christians (otherwise, I suppose, they would be left with saying something like: "Well, I just have this love for all things Jewish, etc." And from this belief, Judaizing arises.
2/2/18 8:33 am

Post Isa 58:12... Aaron Scott
Let me ask you this simple question Brad, has Heaven and Earth passed yet, has everything been accomplished or fulfilled in the Torah, Law, Bible yet?

Your asked the question using Matthew Chapter 5:17, 18 through 19 and you'll have your answer. Has Heaven & Earth not passed away yet? and all the prophecies in the Bible are not fulfilled yet so Torah, Law, Commandments, Instructions, are still for the believer 😇

And you said it right in the beginning that Messiah kept the Law perfect he did not "sin" so what is sin brad that's breaking a Commandment in the Law Instructions of G-d Torah means hit the mark sin means missing the mark that simple. Be his disciple, copy what he did, said, lived, and you will find yourself keeping the Torah 😃

Notice, that Jesus did NOT say, "Until heaven and earth pass away the Law will not pass away."

Nope. He added a crucial addition: "UNTIL ALL BE FULFILLED." And Jesus fulfilled the Law. He even said that He would.

If I were to say, "We aren't leaving this house for church until I have some breakfast!" I am NOT saying that we are NEVER leaving the house. I am simply saying that we aren't leaving until I have some breakfast. Once I have breakfast, we will (presumably) leave for church.

NOW, about those non-moral teachings:

First, virtually every dietary law.

Second, what about the law against mixing different fabrics?

Further, consider that we have not a single record of ANYONE ever having their child stoned for being rebellious. But if you really want to go with the Law, then consider it carefully, for it is no less harsh than the very things we decry when ISIS does them.

When ISIS has someone stoned for adultery, we rightly think "how barbaric!" And yet that was the standard for the Law. So, have we outgrown the Law? Why, yes, yes we have. Because it was our schoolmaster...but we're in a new school now, where we learn of HIM.

Shalom, shalom 😇
2/2/18 8:41 am

Post Re: Isa 58:12... Isa 58:12
Aaron Scott wrote:

Notice, that Jesus did NOT say, "Until heaven and earth pass away the Law will not pass away."

Nope. He added a crucial addition: "UNTIL ALL BE FULFILLED." And Jesus fulfilled the Law. He even said that He would.

If I were to say, "We aren't leaving this house for church until I have some breakfast!" I am NOT saying that we are NEVER leaving the house. I am simply saying that we aren't leaving until I have some breakfast. Once I have breakfast, we will (presumably) leave for church.

Further, consider that we have not a single record of ANYONE ever having their child stoned for being rebellious. But if you really want to go with the Law, then consider it carefully, for it is no less harsh than the very things we decry when ISIS does them.

When ISIS has someone stoned for adultery, we rightly think "how barbaric!" And yet that was the standard for the Law. So, have we outgrown the Law? Why, yes, yes we have. Because it was our schoolmaster...but we're in a new school now, where we learn of HIM.

Shalom, shalom 😇

Please Aaron list me the laws that you shoe had to fulfill in the law. I laid out a very small example of this to Brad but he never answered on it I don't remember where I put it

Salam Salam, and I hope that you will read the Bible Lesson and be a part of that that I put up 😏😉
2/2/18 9:48 am

Post Re: Isa 58:12... Aaron Scott
Aaron Scott wrote:

Shalom, shalom 😇

Please Aaron list me the laws that you shoe had to fulfill in the law. I laid out a very small example of this to Brad but he never answered on it I don't remember where I put it

Salam Salam, and I hope that you will read the Bible Lesson and be a part of that that I put up 😏😉

I'm not sure I could tell you the exact answer to you question. All I know is that He said that He had come to fulfill the Law. In addition, there are other passages that definitely indicate that we are no longer under the Law.

[b]Colossians 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
[/b]
2/2/18 10:36 am

Post Re: Isa 58:12... Isa 58:12
Aaron Scott wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

Shalom, shalom 😇

I'm not sure I could tell you the exact answer to you question. All I know is that He said that He had come to fulfill the Law. In addition, there are other passages that definitely indicate that we are no longer under the Law.

[b]Colossians 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
[/b]

Senior, you have to read the whole letter of Colossians chapter 2 to understand what those ordinances are, they're not G-ds. 😏
2/2/18 11:05 am

Post Re: Isa 58:12... Aaron Scott
Aaron Scott wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

Shalom, shalom 😇

[/b]

Senior, you have to read the whole letter of Colossians chapter 2 to understand what those ordinances are, they're not G-ds. 😏

Well, let me ask you if sacrifice is required any longer?

Is circumcision required any longer?

Are the dietary elements of the Law required any longer?

How about the prohibition on the mixing of fabrics?

We can't claim the old Law is still in effect...EXCEPT FOR THIS, THAT, THE OTHER, AND THE OTHER THAT. That's about like saying, "The speed limit is still 55 mph, but you are now allowed to drive 70 mph."

Yes, the New Covenant CERTAINLY includes elements of the old covenant. We are still to serve God, to love Him, to love our neighbor as ourselves, etc. But to the best I can tell, everything that was specific to the JEWS is not required in the new covenant.
2/2/18 11:28 am

Post Aaron.... Isa 58:12
Shabbat Shalom 😇

Reading Col 2 for keys in understanding who's "ordinances" theses were 😏.

Vs 4: & this I say, lest any "man" beguile u with enticing words... Vs 8: beware lest any "man" spoil u through vain philosophy & vain deceit, after the "traditions of men"(Matt 15:1-9) after the "rudiments of the world" & not after Messiah

Vs 14: Blotting out the handwriting of "ordinances" that was against us which was contrary to us and took it out of the way nailing it to the cross. & Having spoiled principalities and Powers He had made a show of "them"(people's ordinances) openly Triumphing over "them" in it

Vs20: wherefore if you be dead with Messiah from the "rudiments of the world"(vs8) why as though living in the world are you subject to "ordinances". Vs 21: touch not taste not handle not. Vs 22: which all are to perish with the using after commandments and "the doctrines of men".

We can go a long time on this, but just start with that it's not G-d's ordinances, these are man's
2/2/18 7:19 pm

Post Aaron.... Isa 58:12
Other questions you had

1st I had asked you to list the parts of the Law that Y'shua fulfilled, since that's what you're standing on 😉. And you said you can't answer my question 🤔. Well that's something you need to figure out if you're going to stand on it, you need to make sure you're 100% correct and what you believe and the reason why you do things

I can tell you and show you 100% of why I keep Torah in all text of the Bible with no breakage, can you show me that with no contradictions? Just something to think about now, on to some of your questions

1. Yes we still eat kosher, 3 of the 4 Commands to Gentiles in Acts 15
2. No we do not sacrifice, no Temple, a Messiah is the perfect sacrifice Heb 4
3. The mixing of the threads was to go into the temple, there is no Temple
4. Circumcision is a sign of the Covenant, not for salvation,
nor has it ever been. My personal belief is yes, & we are circumcised in the heart as he said in the Old Testament [/b]

Last edited by Isa 58:12 on 2/2/18 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
2/2/18 7:33 pm

Post Isa... Aaron Scott
Shabbat Shalom 😇

Vs 4: & this I say, lest any "man" beguile u with enticing words... Vs 8: beware lest any "man" spoil u through vain philosophy & vain deceit, after the "traditions of men"(Matt 15:1-9) after the "rudiments of the world" & not after Messiah

Vs 14: Blotting out the handwriting of "ordinances" that was against us which was contrary to us and took it out of the way nailing it to the cross. & Having spoiled principalities and Powers He had made a show of "them"(people's ordinances) openly Triumphing over "them" in it

Vs20: wherefore if you be dead with Messiah from the "rudiments of the world"(vs8) why as though living in the world are you subject to "ordinances". Vs 21: touch not taste not handle not. Vs 22: which all are to perish with the using after commandments and "the doctrines of men".

We can go a long time on this, but just start with that it's not G-d's ordinances, these are man's

I do not agree. But, for the sake of skewering you otherwise, let's take an ordinance that IS God's: Circumcision.

Oh, and sacrifice.

And, yes, dietary laws.

And, the whole mixing fabrics thing.

All of which you conveniently overlook, it seems.

And, as you prepare a comeback on those, let me ask another question: Should Christians be circumcised (physically)? Must they adhere to the dietary standards God gave the Jews if they wish to be fully pleasing to God? Further, how do you feel about marring the corners of one's beard?

At some point, you know you're going to have to own that you just may be a Judaizer. Because if you believe that we ought to live as the Jews were told to live under the Law, and that nothing has really changed due to Jesus, then, well....
2/2/18 7:41 pm

Post Re: Isa... Isa 58:12
Aaron Scott wrote:
Shabbat Shalom 😇

I do not agree. But, for the sake of skewering you otherwise, let's take an ordinance that IS God's: Circumcision.

Oh, and sacrifice.

And, yes, dietary laws.

And, the whole mixing fabrics thing.

All of which you conveniently overlook, it seems.

And, as you prepare a comeback on those, let me ask another question: Should Christians be circumcised (physically)? Must they adhere to the dietary standards God gave the Jews if they wish to be fully pleasing to God? Further, how do you feel about marring the corners of one's beard?

At some point, you know you're going to have to own that you just may be a Judaizer. Because if you believe that we ought to live as the Jews were told to live under the Law, and that nothing has really changed due to Jesus, then, well....

Lol, dude, I answered ur questions lol😀
2/2/18 7:44 pm

Post Re: Isa... Isa 58:12
Aaron Scott wrote:

Judaizer lol, 😂. Aaron, your faith in Y'shua has grafted you into God's family, Y'sreal Rom 11. The New Covenant was only given to Y'sreal & Judah, soooo, you need to let go of this replacement theology nonsense, and that's exactly what it is.

That's also dual covenant theology, G-d has 2 Covenants, two standards of life, that are different from each other. One sect keeps the Torah, the other sect does not do anything but believe, not true

I have other questions but I'll ask this one only, please tell me some things found in the Law of G-d that you disagree with. Or I guess show me some awful Law's? Ahhh, tell me some Law's I want to know what you know, just start naming the ones that aren't for you lol😃

Last edited by Isa 58:12 on 2/2/18 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
2/2/18 7:53 pm

Post Isa 58:12
Oh, and give me the scriptures in the New Testament that's a the Law's done away with, & I will give you mine that say the law stands in the New Testament 😉

Shalom, shalom
2/2/18 7:55 pm

Post Re: Isa... Aaron Scott
Aaron Scott wrote:

Judaizer lol, 😂. Aaron, your faith in Y'shua has grafted you into God's family, Y'sreal Rom 11. The New Covenant was only given to Y'sreal & Judah, soooo, you need to let go of this replacement theology nonsense, and that's exactly what it is.

That's also dual covenant theology, G-d has 2 Covenants, two standards of life, that are different from each other. One sect keeps the Torah, the other sect does not do anything but believe, not true

I have other questions but I'll ask this one only, please tell me some things found in the Law of G-d that you disagree with. Or I guess show me some awful Law's? Ahhh, tell me some Law's I want to know what you know, just start naming the ones that aren't for you lol😃

Well, let me give you one that Jesus mentioned: divorce. The law said one thing....but God’s standard was another.

Me? I disagree with the law about not being able to eat shrimp or bacon. I would never stone my son if he grew rebellious. I would not be concerned at all about mixed fabrics.

Aren’t you a debtor to the whole law? Or do you just do the things you think are cool.

As for answering my questions, I didn’t see an answer anywhere. If so, copy/paste it into your response, please.
2/3/18 7:33 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic