Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Why?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Why? Billy Humphrey
posted elsewhere Friendly Face
1/30/18 10:02 am

Post Re: Why? UncleJD
Billy Humphrey wrote:
I don't think a few words or how many tattoos someone has is a reflection of how holy someone is or isn't; at least i don't see it as my place to decide.

Nobody here has said that tattoos or a "few words" are the qualifier for whether or not someone's ministry is legitimate or effective. They've said that it is often an indicator of love of culture itself (though not necessarily always). Why don't you have a lot of tattoos?
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/30/18 10:04 am

Post Re: Why? uthdude2000
UncleJD wrote:
Billy Humphrey wrote:
I don't think a few words or how many tattoos someone has is a reflection of how holy someone is or isn't; at least i don't see it as my place to decide.

Nobody here has said that tattoos or a "few words" are the qualifier for whether or not someone's ministry is legitimate or effective. They've said that it is often an indicator of love of culture itself (though not necessarily always). Why don't you have a lot of tattoos?

What's wrong with tattoos? Anything??
1/31/18 11:09 am

Post Something I have learned over the years... Aaron Scott
When someone comes OUT of a certain life, already tatted up, etc., I can accept that.

But when someone does it WHILE SAVED, then, even though it is not a sin, I don't believe, I think it speaks to a some degree of rebellion. Not always, but I think most of the time.

In fact, in a study a few years back, it was found that tattoos were a significant "marker" that had a statistical linkage to a higher rate of crime, violence, drug use, illicit sex, etc. NOT that every who had a tattoo did that, but enough did for a tattoo to be considered a marker of such things.

In prison, it is RARE to find someone who ISN'T tattooed.

BUT WHAT I HAVE LEARNED is that when someone just doesn't have a significant degree of conformity to the norms of Christian dress...it often seems that I eventually find out there weren't quite the Christian I was led to believe. Sorry, but it's true.

The same is true for people fuss about tithing, don't tithe, etc. Yes, I know it's not commanded in the NT. But over and over I find that such folks either have a problem with greed or authority. They might win the theological debate...but they often wind up being poor members in that and other ways.

Just what I see. Sorry if it doesn't fly with every else's conceptions.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/31/18 11:36 am

Post Re: Why? Cojak
uthdude2000 wrote:
UncleJD wrote:
Billy Humphrey wrote:

What's wrong with tattoos? Anything??

As I remember A lot of INK on a guy or gal indicated the 'Motor cycle gang' mentalityup to the 50's. Sailors/Military Usually got one or two tattoos if they were the Gung-ho type. I even have a $5 one (USMC).

Once the Corps went thru a period of removing them (surgically) in the mid 50's removing them for those who regretted them (The wrong girlfriends name, etc) That didn't last long.

When sports and movie stars started again a few years ago our culture seemed to start going crazy over them. I don't see much wrong with them except to me they are tacky and cheap looking (but I understand they are not cheap).
I personally know folks who can't seem to rub two dimes together two days after payday but somehow pay for one more tat!

On women especially, it is like bumper stickers on a Rolls Royce!
Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/31/18 11:47 am

Post UncleJD
Nope, nothing wrong with a tattoo, in and of itself. However, there IS something wrong with our culture, one only needs to read the walls of our unsaved younger friends on facebook to see that. And tattoos are a big part of that culture, especially the sleeve, face, full-torso, stuff. I just don't see that looking just like the culture somehow has "cred" to speak into it as one that is apart from it. It seems like its trying to say "I'm just like you, but I want to show you another way". If that's not the persons' heart, then that's fine and I'm ok with that. I don't think they are going to Hell for it. But yes, I do think that its worse for a Christian to get a sleeve today than it was in my day just a few decades back, simply because it really means a lot more today in terms of cultural relevance (in a bad way). That's my feeling on it. I'm sure someone will willfully lie and claim that I think its a sin, I do not. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
2/1/18 4:16 pm

Post Tom Sterbens
Isaiah 49:16 (The Living Bible)
16 See, I have tattooed your name upon my palm, and ever before me is a picture of Jerusalem’s walls in ruins.
Smile
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
2/6/18 11:33 am

Post Da Sheik
I have ink from my time in the military but it was prior to my conversion. I don’t think it’s a sin to get a tattoo but I do believe it speaks to a certain level of immaturity. I see preachers on social media showing off their new tattoos. Acts Enthusiast
2/6/18 11:52 am

Post Re: Why? Nature Boy Florida
Cojak wrote:

On women especially, it is like bumper stickers on a Rolls Royce!
Shocked

I hope it doesn't make us sexist - but I feel the same way.

You are taking something God made beautiful and trying to make it better by drawing permanent ink on it? Maybe Michaelangelo could make an upgrade - but I doubt it.

I hate it on women - and on men usually - every now and then a small one on a man commemorating something doesn't look bad - but usually they look like big mistakes.
2/6/18 12:11 pm

Post no big deal wayne
I don't have any and will not get one but if someone else gets one, it's none of my business. Acts Enthusiast
2/6/18 2:45 pm

Post Re: no big deal Cojak
wayne wrote:
I don't have any and will not get one but if someone else gets one, it's none of my business.

You are on the right track there Wayne, 'ONE' Smile Smile Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/6/18 5:37 pm

Post Isa 58:12
Lev 19:28
2/6/18 10:44 pm

Post Re: no big deal Resident Skeptic
wayne wrote:
I don't have any and will not get one but if someone else gets one, it's none of my business.

I essentially agree. Personally, I think they are tacky, especially on a woman.
2/7/18 9:31 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic