Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate
Browse by what's: hot | new | rising | top of the week

I just bombed my sermon (L)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post I just bombed my sermon (L) Dave Dorsey
Thought this might be an encouraging article, or something to store away for when that day inevitably comes...

http://www.doctrineanddevotion.com/blog/i-just-bombed-my-sermon
Quote:
I just bombed my sermon. It is Sunday afternoon and I am standing on the other side of a mess of a sermon. Times like this make it hard not to get down about my place in the ministry. Old sayings spoken by wiser pastors fly through my head; “they can’t all be home runs” or “it was the message someone needed to hear.” These sayings contain truth but this truth is hard to get your heart to feel.

If you have ever given a sermon, you have felt this sense of “bombing” a sermon. It is the sense that you didn’t connect. It is the sense of not being able to articulate a concept the way you thought you could. It is the sense of having a challenge fall flat in front of the congregation. It is the sense of being judged and found wanting in your skills as a speaker and preacher. It is not a good feeling.

So what do we do when we experience it? I have thought of 4 things that help me and they just might help you...

There's also a great corollary article titied "My Pastor Just Bombed a Sermon":

http://www.doctrineanddevotion.com/blog/my-pastor-just-bombed-a-sermon
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/31/18 8:51 am

Post Wait a minute! Are y'all telling me... Aaron Scott
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Thought this might be an encouraging article, or something to store away for when that day inevitably comes...

Quote:
I just bombed my sermon. It is Sunday afternoon and I am standing on the other side of a mess of a sermon. Times like this make it hard not to get down about my place in the ministry. Old sayings spoken by wiser pastors fly through my head; “they can’t all be home runs” or “it was the message someone needed to hear.” These sayings contain truth but this truth is hard to get your heart to feel.

If you have ever given a sermon, you have felt this sense of “bombing” a sermon. It is the sense that you didn’t connect. It is the sense of not being able to articulate a concept the way you thought you could. It is the sense of having a challenge fall flat in front of the congregation. It is the sense of being judged and found wanting in your skills as a speaker and preacher. It is not a good feeling.

So what do we do when we experience it? I have thought of 4 things that help me and they just might help you...

Wait a minute! Are y'all telling me that y'all don't blame God for the train wreck???

Look, I studied. I prepared. I even got up early and went over it again and again. If I flop, who else am I supposed to blame, if not God?

Didn't God know who would be there? Didn't he know that Bro. Grumpy Face would be there and it would be discouraging? Didn't he know that the sound system would act up and mess up a lot of worship songs?

So, yeah, I did my part. Will everyone kindly just agree that it's GOD'S fault, for once? Whose fault do you think it was that Adam and Eve fell? Satan's? Eve's? HA! Who made them both? Who ALLOWED Satan to slither into the Garden to speak doubt and deceit into Eve's life?

Yep. It's time we called a spade a spade.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/31/18 11:52 am

Post Re: Wait a minute! Are y'all telling me... Cojak
Aaron Scott wrote:
Dave Dorsey wrote:

Quote:

Wait a minute! Are y'all telling me that y'all don't blame God for the train wreck???

Look, I studied. I prepared. I even got up early and went over it again and again. If I flop, who else am I supposed to blame, if not God?

Didn't God know who would be there? Didn't he know that Bro. Grumpy Face would be there and it would be discouraging? Didn't he know that the sound system would act up and mess up a lot of worship songs?

So, yeah, I did my part. Will everyone kindly just agree that it's GOD'S fault, for once? Whose fault do you think it was that Adam and Eve fell? Satan's? Eve's? HA! Who made them both? Who ALLOWED Satan to slither into the Garden to speak doubt and deceit into Eve's life?

I heard a Baptist preacher once who said, "I knowed it, I knowed it, I just knowed it, someone would find a way to blame God!" Embarassed Embarassed Wink
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/31/18 11:58 am

Post Re: Wait a minute! Are y'all telling me... Dave Dorsey
Aaron Scott wrote:

Though God permits both, He is neither the author of evil nor the author of your awful sermons. Laughing Laughing Laughing
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/31/18 12:09 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic