Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Schedule C for crusades, seminars, etc?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Schedule C for crusades, seminars, etc? Link
Let's suppose you are not 'clergy' per se, but you preach, put on seminars, etc. Now, suppose you shell out money to do this and contributions do not pay for travel and even putting on events. How would you write this up on your taxes?

I have done just a little of this in the past, but if I did it in the future, I might want to account for those expenses some how to reduce my tax burden. Would it be legal to write it up as a business in schedule C and count the expenses offset by donations as a loss?

I think you can only run losses for 7 years on a schedule C business, though. I also hate to call something like this a business, but if they want you to count the income, you should be able to account for the fact that you are losing money on it somehow. What do evangelists do on their taxes?
1/8/18 1:46 am

Post Short answer brotherjames
Schedule c is what most people use, including clergy. Especially if you have 1099 income which is supposed to be how evangelists who get an o fferring from a church are to have thbat oiffering reported if its more than 400 or 600 dollars (I forget which). Most smaller churches ddont issue 1099s but they're supposed to.

If you are holding conferences and incurring expenses and receiving fees you shoould absolutely file a schedule c. Just be sure you have receipts for the expenses and have a way to sustantiate any income.
Acts-celerater
1/9/18 8:31 am

Post Link
If you lose money for seven years, do you just rename your ministry the seventh year? If you don't have any gains to offset, it doesn't really matter, does it?
1/15/18 8:30 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic