Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Do Vegans Have a Point?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Do Vegans Have a Point? Aaron Scott
Now, I am a carnivore on the level of a grizzly bear, but I read something today that made me ponder the whole vegan thing. I saw a headline (on Drudge, no less, about the barbaric dog meat industry).

Most of us likely have some emotional hang-up about eating dog meat (or horse meat), but INTELLECTUALLY, it seems no different from eating a cow. But if we get upset at vegans for harping on eating meat from acceptable animals (fish, cows, possums, armadillos, and coons), why would we, in turn, have the slightest cause for being upset about eating dogs...or cats...or rats...which in other parts of the world are perfectly acceptable?

I think that vegans (as much as I tend to roll my eyes at them) have the same feeling about acceptable "American" meats as we do about acceptable "Asian"(?) meats. In fact, we may be a bit worse, for we actually seem to get our ire up about Indians NOT eating cows.

It just came to me when I read that headline that we deem certain foods barbaric because they are not foods that we consider socially acceptable...while vegans, not finding ANY meat as socially acceptable, feel, in a way, the same way we do about dogs, cats, and rats.

Very simply, why is it OK for us to think it's just horrible to eat dogs, cats, rats, worms, etc., but it's not equally ok for vegans to decry the eating of beef, pork, chicken, etc.?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/29/17 1:33 pm

Post Re: Do Vegans Have a Point? Old Time Country Preacher
Aaron Scott wrote:
Now, I am a carnivore on the level of a grizzly bear, but I read something today that made me ponder the whole vegan thing...It just came to me.

This is why the ole timer remains longsuffering with ya, Aaron. Cause I know deep in ma heart a hearts at one day----one day after awhile----its gonna "come to ya" that ya been on the wrong side a the woffie debate an its gonna be one a them moments where you git "loosed an let go." I am convinced of it.

Back to the Vegans. Since we aint living under Moses' Covenant, they ain't no kinda meat whats wrong to eat. Its a cultural thing. Vietnamese fellers eat rat/dog/monkey. Most a us here in the USA don't. But in terms of right/wrong/good/bad, all are equivalent. Meat is meat. Typically, OTCP eats certain meats cause he loves the taste and it brings pleasure to the palate. Ummm, bring em chicken/dumplins on home. But you can keep the deer meat cause OTCP don't like the taste.
Acts-pert Poster
12/29/17 2:31 pm

Post Re: Do Vegans Have a Point? Aaron Scott
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:
Now, I am a carnivore on the level of a grizzly bear, but I read something today that made me ponder the whole vegan thing...It just came to me.

This is why the ole timer remains longsuffering with ya, Aaron. Cause I know deep in ma heart a hearts at one day----one day after awhile----its gonna "come to ya" that ya been on the wrong side a the woffie debate an its gonna be one a them moments where you git "loosed an let go." I am convinced of it.

Back to the Vegans. Since we aint living under Moses' Covenant, they ain't no kinda meat whats wrong to eat. Its a cultural thing. Vietnamese fellers eat rat/dog/monkey. Most a us here in the USA don't. But in terms of right/wrong/good/bad, all are equivalent. Meat is meat. Typically, OTCP eats certain meats cause he loves the taste and it brings pleasure to the palate. Ummm, bring em chicken/dumplins on home. But you can keep the deer meat cause OTCP don't like the taste.

Thank you, OTCP, for your long-suffering toward me. Love ya, friend.
12/29/17 5:18 pm

Post Re: Do Vegans Have a Point? Old Time Country Preacher
Aaron Scott wrote:
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

Thank you, OTCP, for your long-suffering toward me. Love ya, friend.

Wink
Acts-pert Poster
12/29/17 6:57 pm

Post Aaron... Cojak
I am laughing as I read this because just before Christmas we drove back to NC. Unusual for us. It was just for a week. WE were always gone when our pecan tree drops the fruit. I checked and the nuts were mostly waste. I was telling the grand kids I think I will shoot a couple squirrels. I said mama can cook them and maybe next year we will get some nuts.

YOU EAT SQUIRRELS???? They are just rats with fuzzy tails! I was actually surprised that my Grand kids had not eaten squirrel or rabbit. I NEVER expected a YUCK! from them.

I get a kick out of the term 'Barbaric dog meat industry'. As you said logically dog is no different than cow or mule. (I read that mule meat is much better for you than horse meat.)

I have no problem with Vegans as long as they do not carry it to the extreme and condemn me for liking Squirrel meat and gravy. Then me n 'em vegans part company!

BUT I don't think they have any more insight on life than I. They do lose weight and keep it off though. Also some very notable folk are vegans, take Bill Clinton for example! Wait, not a good example.

Shocked Smile Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/29/17 7:37 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
If God wanted us to be vegans, why did he give us the teeth of a carnivore?

God gave the OK for us to eat meat to Noah after the flood. The interesting thing about the dietary restrictions given to Moses for the Children of Israel is that it appears the foods the Israelites were to eat are indeed healthier and better for us, according to modern science. However, we are not under those same Biblical restrictions today.

I think a lot of what has been said re: what is socially acceptable is true. What is socially acceptable seems to be what drives a lot of things presently. And we tend to follow whatever the modern trends are of what is socially acceptable.
12/30/17 1:12 am

Post Re: Do Vegans Have a Point? Link
It's okay to eat dog meat if it is properly slaughtered and prepared, and if you don't steal it. I don't see it as a moral, ethical or religious issue. I just don't want to eat it. Do any of you think it's actually immoral to eat dog?

I've had the opportunity to eat dog meat and passed up on it about three times in my life. As I recall, I don't think I ate it that last time, but my memory is a bit fuzzy. Maybe I'll pull a Clinton and chew next time, but not swallow.

But I'd prefer to eat the stupider animals. Dogs and horses seem kind of smart for animals.

Cats don't seem that smart, but there doesn't look like there would be much good eating on a cat.

I do wonder about giraffe. I read they are kosher, too, btw. They'd probably taste pretty good, but I don't know about the neck meat.

Last edited by Link on 12/30/17 3:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Acts-perienced Poster
12/30/17 3:21 am

Post Link
When I was in Bali, my wife saw some people cooking sate (meat on bamboo sticks) on the beach. She thought it was a vendor, and we figured it was pork sate since we were in Bali. She went over there, and came back with a few sticks. The man wasn't selling it, but offered her some.

It had sauce on it, and I thought it was pork. It turns out, it wasn't. It was sea turtle. Now, I'm not sure if it was the endangered kind, but some of the sea turtles are endangered. So I may have eaten endangered species without knowing it.

Btw, if you wonder what it tastes like, it tastes a bit like a cross between California condor and Komodo dragon. (Just kidding.)
12/30/17 3:23 am

Post I'd eat a horse!! Clint Wills
I mean...I'd rather ride one, but when I look at a horse as compared to an elk, there isn't much difference.

I'd be interested to hear from someone who has eaten horse...whats it taste like?
12/30/17 5:08 pm

Post It tastes like beef brotherjames
chewier though. In Serbia, we ate a large (9 inch) hamburger patty as a staple meal of a blend of beef, mutton & horse. I was told heavy on horse however. It tasted similar to a hamburger patty. I ate a small steak of horse but could hardly chew it but not sure if that was the cut, the way of overcooking it or just the way horse is. Acts-celerater
12/30/17 5:17 pm

Post Carolyn... Aaron Scott
Carolyn Smith wrote:

God gave the OK for us to eat meat to Noah after the flood. The interesting thing about the dietary restrictions given to Moses for the Children of Israel is that it appears the foods the Israelites were to eat are indeed healthier and better for us, according to modern science. However, we are not under those same Biblical restrictions today.

I think a lot of what has been said re: what is socially acceptable is true. What is socially acceptable seems to be what drives a lot of things presently. And we tend to follow whatever the modern trends are of what is socially acceptable.

I think the teeth must be due to the fall, because before the fall, we don't have any record of man eating animals (he was, however, given to eat of every tree of the garden...except, you know...).

So I don't think the original intent was to be carnivorous.
12/30/17 5:37 pm

Post Re: Carolyn... Carolyn Smith
Aaron Scott wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:

I think the teeth must be due to the fall, because before the fall, we don't have any record of man eating animals (he was, however, given to eat of every tree of the garden...except, you know...).

So I don't think the original intent was to be carnivorous.

Man was given permission to eat fruit, veggies, grain, but not meat before the flood. That wouldn't have worked too well to be a meat eater before the flood. We might be missing a few species of animals if that were the case. Smile We were not given permission to eat meat until after the flood.
12/31/17 8:22 am

Post If God didn't want me eating critters... roughridercog
He wouldn't have made them taste so good. Laughing
12/31/17 7:53 pm

Post Re: It tastes like beef Link
brotherjames wrote:
chewier though. In Serbia, we ate a large (9 inch) hamburger patty as a staple meal of a blend of beef, mutton & horse. I was told heavy on horse however. It tasted similar to a hamburger patty. I ate a small steak of horse but could hardly chew it but not sure if that was the cut, the way of overcooking it or just the way horse is.

That reminds me of water buffalo meat. It makes good stew "beef", but it sure was tough in a flauta or served as steak.

I prefer young goat meat for flavor.

I've had some cheese soup made with water buffalo cheese that looked like tofu. It was cooked with tumeric and onions in a soup
1/1/18 6:07 am

Post Re: If God didn't want me eating critters... Redneck
roughridercog wrote:
He wouldn't have made them taste so good. Laughing

This......plus he wouldn't have made them out of meat, had he not wanted me to eat them.

Seriously, while I think vegan/vegetarian is very healthy, it lacks some important nutrients and are required to take supplements in order to maintain your health. Biggest lack is B12 and Iron.

I really feel that if you follow a biblical kosher diet, you can't go wrong. God knows what he is talking about, always has, always will.
1/1/18 9:36 am

Post Eating Dog Link
I went for a visit to in-laws in the Sumatran highlands last week. A couple of days ago, I gave a presentation on some ideas on how to build up their village economically, and my wife spoke, too. It seems to have been a fruitful trip in that regard.

After that was over, they brought out the meal to everyone sitting on the mats, some kind of chopped up meat that I assumed to be pork and chicken. I'd been sick and both were rather spicy looking. The chopped up meat appeared to have been cooked with the blood in it. My wife said something in their language, and they brought out the non-bloody version. I was told it was dog. They served soup in glasses that looked like the pork broth they normally serve. I just ate broth and rice and some potatoes that were part of the chicken curry, since I'd been sick.|

As I got to the bottom of my plate of rice and soup, it occurred to me that the broth might not have come from the chicken. I was told it was dog broth.

So I can't say I haven't eaten dog since there were probably some micro-particles in that broth. My wife told me dog was supposed to be good for you if you are sick. Koreans say that, too. A theoretical explanation a friend of mine married to a Korean gave for why Koreans say to eat dog or snake when you are sick is because back in the old days, farmers ate mostly vegetables, and the protein from a dog or snake probably did help them heal up or feel better if they had been sick.
1/6/18 4:53 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
If you ever eat at a Chinese fast food - I feel certain you have partaken of dog and cat. Put enough MSG and teriyaki sauce - you will be none the wiser.
1/8/18 3:03 pm

Post cogvegan
I think being vegan is completely by choice. I became vegan several years ago because of health problems. I was tired of being given a pill and thinking that's going to fix issues that I had quickly. It may have fixed one problem, but with most drugs, down the road it led to another.

I like to read and do a lot of research before I ever make a big decision. So, I read almost every book I could on the vegan lifestyle or diet that I could find. There's are so much out there that one could bog down very easily, so I was cautious. I didn't get stuck on all the animal rights stuff and the craziness that's known as PETA. I just decided that I would give it a chance. I eased into the diet. I didn't give up everything at once and I made goals. I also had my primary care doctor check all my labs. My cholesterol was very high, A1C, glucose, uric acid levels and several other issues. My blood pressure was also very high. All of these issues could have been "fixed" with a pill, but I did not want to have to take another pill.

So I decided to begin to cook more at home. Add vegetables and slowly limit my meat intake until I was completely meat free. To make a long story short, my blood pressure regulated and my A1C went down to normal. I lost nearly 50 pounds and I'm at my healthiest weight in years. I feel better and I don't have that tired fatigue feeling after I eat. It was a big move for me and it certainly isn't for everyone, but I felt it was a necessary change for me.

So that kinda explains my user name lol. I'm sure I was being judged already by that ha! Razz
2/18/18 5:13 pm

Post Clint Wills... Aaron Scott
Clint Wills wrote:

I'd be interested to hear from someone who has eaten horse...whats it taste like?

Tastes like chicken.
2/18/18 5:28 pm

Post Dave Dorsey

Source: http://highsteaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/carnivore-herbivore-omnnivore-comparison.jpg

If you're a vegan for reasons of conscience, I non-judgmentally respect your choice as the Bible commands me, but son, you ain't built for it.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/18/18 5:58 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic