Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Reformed Theologian RC Sproul Passes

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Reformed Theologian RC Sproul Passes Old Time Country Preacher
Sproul was well-known among Reformed believers.

Last edited by Old Time Country Preacher on 12/15/17 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-pert Poster
12/14/17 10:00 pm

Post FLRon
I had just read about his illness earlier today. I thought he was sincere in what he believed, even though I couldn’t agree with his strong Calvinistic theology. Unlike so many today however, you never had to wonder what he believed.

I wonder if we were called in question of what we believed and why, could we give as thorough response as R.C. Sproul? Something to ponder...
12/14/17 10:25 pm

Post Da Sheik
I believe RC Sproul was a blessing to the body of Christ. I didn’t agree with him on every point, but I believe he made a significant contribution to the Kingdom. May he Rest In Peace ! Acts Enthusiast
12/15/17 12:28 am

Post Resident Skeptic
A dear brother in Christ and a great man of God.
12/15/17 12:41 am

Post Dave Dorsey
40 Sproul quotes, courtesy of Matt Smethurst at TGC:

Quote:
“There are only two ways of dying. We can die in faith or we can die in our sins.”

“We are secure, not because we hold tightly to Jesus, but because he holds tightly to us.”

“To know that God knows everything about me and yet loves me is indeed my ultimate consolation.”

‎”There is no greater state than to get up from your knees knowing that God has forgiven every sin you’ve ever committed.”

“If God is not sovereign, then God is not God.”

“When God says something, the argument is over.”

“A god who is all love, all grace, all mercy, no sovereignty, no justice, no holiness, and no wrath is an idol.”

“As soon as we think God owes us mercy, we’re not thinking about mercy any more.”

“When there’s something in the Word of God that I don’t like, the problem is not with the Word of God. It’s with me.”

“You are required to believe, to preach, and to teach what the Bible says is true, not what you want the Bible to say is true.”

“God does not always act with justice. Sometimes he acts with mercy. Mercy is not justice, but it also is not injustice. Injustice violates righteousness. Mercy manifests kindness and grace and does no violence to righteousness. We may see nonjustice in God, which is mercy, but we never see injustice in God.”

“People in awe never complain that church is boring.”

“I’ll retire when they pry my cold, dead fingers off of my Bible.”

“If ever a person had room to complain of injustice, it was Jesus. He was the only innocent man ever to be punished by God. If we stagger at the wrath of God, let us stagger at the cross. Here is where our astonishment should be focused. If we have cause for moral outrage, let it be directed at Golgotha.”

“No matter how much injustice I have suffered from the hands of other people, I have never suffered the slightest injustice from the hand of God.”

“God answered Job’s questions not with words but with himself.”

“The Christian life is a life of non-conformity.”

“Not only does Christ take our sins, our debts, and our demerits, but he also gives us his obedience, his assets, and his merits.”

“If there is no sanctification, it means that there never was any justification.”

“If we despise the justice of God, we are not Christians.”

“The only kind of God we can love by our sinful nature is an unholy god, an idol made by our own hands.”

“We are not really surprised that God has redeemed us. Somewhere deep inside, in the secret chambers of our hearts we harbor the notion that God owes us his mercy. Heaven would not be quite the same if we were excluded from it. We know that we are sinners, but we are surely not as bad as we could be. There are enough redeeming features to our personalities that if God is really just he will include us in salvation. What amazes us is justice, not grace.”

“There are no draws with God, no split decisions. When we wrestle with the Almighty, we lose. He is the undefeated champion of the universe.”

“The justice of God is always and ever an expression of his holy character. . . . What God does is always consistent with who God is.”

“When we sin, we not only commit treason against God, but we also do violence to each other. Sin violates people. There is nothing abstract about it. By my sin I hurt human beings. I injure their person; I despoil their goods; I impair their reputation; I rob from them a precious quality of life; I crush their dreams and aspirations for happiness. When I dishonor God, I dishonor all people who bear his image. Is it any wonder, then, that God takes sin so seriously?”

“The problem we face is that the word holy is foreign to all languages. No dictionary is adequate to the task.”

“Death reminds us that we are creatures. Yet as fearsome as death is, it is nothing compared with meeting a holy God. When we encounter him, the totality of our creatureliness breaks upon us and shatters the myth that we have believed about ourselves, the myth that we are demigods, junior-grade deities who will try to live forever.”

“Only once in sacred Scripture is an attribute of God elevated to the third degree. Only once is a characteristic of God mentioned three times in succession. The Bible says that God is holy, holy, holy.”

“God has entrusted to us the ministry of the Word, not its results.”

‎”The cross was a glorious outworking of the grace of God, by which the Father commissioned the Son to make full satisfaction so that sinners might be saved with no sacrifice of God’s justice.”

“A Substitute has appeared in space and time, appointed by God himself, to bear the weight and the burden of our transgressions, to make expiation for our guilt, and to propitiate the wrath of God on our behalf. This is the gospel.”

“If I want the words of eternal life, there’s only one place I can go to get them—to the One who gave his life that we might live.”

“Nobody was ever saved by a profession of faith. You have to possess faith.”

“God doesn’t want me to play with religion. He doesn’t want me to dabble in church. He wants me—body and soul.”

“We are not sinners because we sin. We sin because we are sinners.”

“The grounds of your justification are the perfect works of Jesus Christ. We’re saved by works, but they’re not our own.”

“Without the doctrine of justification by faith alone, the gospel is not merely compromised; it’s lost altogether.”

“We fail in our duty to study God’s Word not so much because it is difficult to understand, not so much because it is dull and boring, but because it is work. Our problem is not a lack of intelligence or a lack of passion. Our problem is that we are lazy.”

“You can’t open your eyes in this universe without seeing a theater of divine revelation.”

“You can’t love Jesus and not love his Word.”

And Sproul on grieving for him, from his book A Taste of Heaven:

Quote:
You can grieve for me the week before I die, if I’m scared and hurting, but when I gasp that last fleeting breath and my immortal soul flees to heaven, I’m going to be jumping over fire hydrants down the golden streets, and my biggest concern, if I have any, will be my wife back here grieving. When I die, I will be identified with Christ’s exaltation. But right now, I’m identified with His affliction.

I would say, "Rest in peace," but I know he is resting in that and greater.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/15/17 6:17 am

Post Link
This was the first I heard of it.

But come on, this is not the type of thing to announce in such a satirical way.
12/15/17 8:27 am

Post UncleJD
I really enjoyed his teachings for about 2 years until I realized what it was I was hearing one day.

don't misinterpret what I'm saying as damning him, I'm not, I believe he is in Heaven today, you don't have to be right about Calvinism vs. Arminianism (but ironically, I don't believe Calvinists would agree)
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
12/15/17 4:11 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
UncleJD wrote:
I really enjoyed his teachings for about 2 years until I realized what it was I was hearing one day.

don't misinterpret what I'm saying as damning him, I'm not, I believe he is in Heaven today, you don't have to be right about Calvinism vs. Arminianism (but ironically, I don't believe Calvinists would agree)

The extreme fringe of the Calvinists is the most vocal and do often seem to imply that if you do not have their understanding of salvation then you are lost. One questioned my salvation because I stated I resisted the conviction of the Holy Spirit for years and would not submit to Christ. According to him, if it was truly God calling me, resistance would have been impossible. However, most Calvinists do not embrace such extremes.
12/16/17 1:03 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Resident Skeptic wrote:
One questioned my salvation because I stated I resisted the conviction of the Holy Spirit for years and would not submit to Christ. According to him, if it was truly God calling me, resistance would have been impossible. However, most Calvinists do not embrace such extremes.

ALL 5-Point Calvinists believe that grace is irresistible.
Acts-pert Poster
12/16/17 5:00 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
ALL 5-Point Calvinists believe that grace is irresistible.

At the end of the day, for the elect. The proposition that RS is not genuinely born again because he at any point seemed to resist God is indeed a fringe hyper-Calvinist position, though, as RS said.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/16/17 5:15 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
One thing about Sproul that I liked is that he explained the Reformed Theology position in a kind, easy to understand way. He typified those in the movement who sincerely believe their views bring the most glory and credit to God than others views regarding election and salvation. In their mind, they are saved and follow Christ because God, with no action on their part, supernaturally enabled them to by resurrecting them from spiritual death.

Concerning election, Sproul gave an analogy of six people, three who were chosen by God for salvation and three who were not. Three received mercy instead of justice, and three received justice, but none of them received injustice as ALL 6 of them deserved to go to hell. For his own reasons, God chose to give mercy to 3 of them. If this view is correct, do we dare label God as unfair or unjust? After all, nobody "deserves" a shot at salvation. All of us deserve to go to hell. I really do not see God as being unjust if TULIP turns out to be true.
12/17/17 9:34 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Contrary to what Calvinists like to say, affirming libertarian freewill in no way means one by that same token affirms anyone can ever merit salvation. The problem freewillers like myself have with Calvinism is the character of God which the Calvinism entails.

With Calvinism (whether ‘hyper’ or ‘moderate’) all events are God’s will, sinners will be damned for what they could never have possibly avoided, and all actual events are the inevitable result of God’s will, including sin.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/17/17 10:20 am

Post Resident Skeptic
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Contrary to what Calvinists like to say, affirming libertarian freewill in no way means one by that same token affirms anyone can ever merit salvation. The problem freewillers like myself have with Calvinism is the character of God which the Calvinism entails.

With Calvinism (whether ‘hyper’ or ‘moderate’) all events are God’s will, sinners will be damned for what they could never have possibly avoided, and all actual events are the inevitable result of God’s will, including sin.

The latter is the part I also cannot buy into.
12/17/17 11:44 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic