Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Jesus was not born in a manger

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Jesus was not born in a manger Link
They wouldn't have been that cruel to Mary, would they, to put her in a feed trough to give birth? After so many generations away from living on a farm, the new Christmas songs are starting to get really messed up.

I was reading the 'inn' may have been a mistranslation. England in the 16th century and before had inns to stay in, not up to Motel 6 standards, but inns of a sort. But the passage may be referring to a guestroom rather than an inn. Joseph's relatives may have promised the guestroom to many other relative and hospitality customs would keep them from retracting the offer. I've also heard that they may have put them in the living room or a room they used to store grain and other food.

But, be that as it may, there is no reason to think Mary got in the feed trough to give birth. Would any of you woman have done that?
12/13/17 10:32 pm

Post Cojak
Link, It was a BIG manger with fresh straw to keep HIM from being born on just the straw on the deck!
Quit trying to change what I heard my mama say!

Embarassed Wink Wink
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/13/17 10:59 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
The Bible doesn't say she gave birth in a manger. It says she laid him in a manger. I have never heard anyone say or imply differently.

Have you ever heard the story/theory of Migdel Eder?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/13/17 11:11 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
I guess we just need to see what the Bible says about a manger , swaddling clothes, etc...

I will go with whatever it says.
12/14/17 7:45 am

Post Re: Jesus was not born in a manger Tom Sterbens
Link wrote:
They wouldn't have been that cruel to Mary, would they, to put her in a feed trough to give birth? After so many generations away from living on a farm, the new Christmas songs are starting to get really messed up.

I was reading the 'inn' may have been a mistranslation. England in the 16th century and before had inns to stay in, not up to Motel 6 standards, but inns of a sort. But the passage may be referring to a guestroom rather than an inn. Joseph's relatives may have promised the guestroom to many other relative and hospitality customs would keep them from retracting the offer. I've also heard that they may have put them in the living room or a room they used to store grain and other food.

But, be that as it may, there is no reason to think Mary got in the feed trough to give birth. Would any of you woman have done that?

http://www.biblearchaeology.org/post/2008/11/08/The-Manger-and-the-Inn.aspx
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
12/14/17 9:40 am

Post Link
Carolyn Smith wrote:
The Bible doesn't say she gave birth in a manger. It says she laid him in a manger. I have never heard anyone say or imply differently.

There is a Christmas song I've heard a few times over the past few years, one that sounded like it was written to be sung with a bit of 'soul', not an old one, that says 'born in a manger.' I tried to look it up, and apparently there are other songs that say Jesus was 'born in a manger.'

Quora had a question about Jesus being born in a manger, and one of the responses said it was a common saying that Jesus was 'born in a manger.' I hadn't heard that other than in the songs, though. I grew up in church and heard the Luke passage about Jesus being wrapped in swaddling clothes and laid in a manger.
12/14/17 12:48 pm

Post Anyone with a modicum of sense would know... Aaron Scott
that Jesus was born at Memorial Hospital of Bethlehem. Or, if not there, then ALMOST CERTAINLY at Bradley County Memorial, where I was born. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/14/17 5:20 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Link wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:

There is a Christmas song I've heard a few times over the past few years, one that sounded like it was written to be sung with a bit of 'soul', not an old one, that says 'born in a manger.' I tried to look it up, and apparently there are other songs that say Jesus was 'born in a manger.'

Quora had a question about Jesus being born in a manger, and one of the responses said it was a common saying that Jesus was 'born in a manger.' I hadn't heard that other than in the songs, though. I grew up in church and heard the Luke passage about Jesus being wrapped in swaddling clothes and laid in a manger.

I know what the swaddling clothes are, but I've wondered if there is some other significance to his being wrapped in swaddling clothes. How would this be different than other baby if it was a common practice?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/14/17 6:52 pm

Post Link
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Link wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:

I know what the swaddling clothes are, but I've wondered if there is some other significance to his being wrapped in swaddling clothes. How would this be different than other baby if it was a common practice?

Maybe the combination of the swaddling clothes and lying in a manger was the sign to them.

The way indoor mangers are described though, you'd think some mother might have already used one as a cradle. But maybe they set something up away from the animal feed in situations that were less crowded.
12/15/17 8:13 am

Post no room in the inn... Mark Ledbetter
The malon (מָלֹון), or kahn, typically was square in shape with casement walls, or chambers designed for quartering and protection. The compartments opened into a courtyard that served as lodging for donkeys or camels. There were no furnishings, no food, no utensils – just a place to bed down for man or beast.

one possibility
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
12/24/17 9:16 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Carolyn Smith wrote:

The focus on being wrapped in swaddling cloths might be something we are intended to connect to the linen cloths later on in Luke (and Mark).

This baby was born to die — wrapped in swaddling cloths and placed in a manger at birth; wrapped in linen cloths and placed in a tomb at death. Seemingly helpless in both cases, and yet in both cases wholly triumphant over all.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/24/17 9:20 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic