Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Pentecostal? (L)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Pentecostal? (L) caseyleejones
https://www.facebook.com/jeanLabranchejean/videos/1020351031394657/ Acts-perienced Poster
11/23/17 7:58 pm

Post Cojak
I have seen it many times in the COG, I sure am glad we didn't have a 'baptistry' shore enough Brother Davis woulda jumped in! Shucks I mighta done 'at!

Honest folk did do that running and shouting. Some just to show how good it felt to be a child of God.

Some to show just how good it felt to be among folks who believed the same. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/23/17 9:16 pm

Post Cojak
Cell signal is terrible in the storms here in central Florida. but I clicked too many times... waiting. Sorry to waste paper! Embarassed
11/23/17 9:17 pm

Post Chicago27
Baptist Friendly Face
11/24/17 7:35 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
This is a group of independents. The coat thrower was a quarterback in high school, the baptistery dipper a navy seal in training, the runners practicing for the Olympics. The singers non-denominational itinerant ministers with H Richard Hall ordination. Quite a diverse gang. Acts-pert Poster
11/24/17 9:53 am

Post Cojak
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
This is a group of independents. The coat thrower was a quarterback in high school, the baptistery dipper a navy seal in training, the runners practicing for the Olympics. The singers non-denominational itinerant ministers with H Richard Hall ordination. Quite a diverse gang.

Actually it could have been most REAL COG's many years ago in Corbin. KY, Apopka,FL, Greenville, SC, Toccoa. GA or Gastonia, NC, that is except the baptistry. 'Them things' was a sin, or at least frowned upon like choir robes. Because baptism was supposed to be in the river. Cool
11/24/17 11:07 am

Post Cojak
I also imagine it could have been a mainstream Pentecostal Holiness, AOG and COGOP. Running, marching and walking the benches was very common in the 40-50's era. We have learned better haven't we? Now we can laugh at a lot our forefathers felt sacred. Funny that! Embarassed
We were curious folk. I remember as a child in Burlington, NC we would have at least 25-50 folks outside on the side walk listening to our very good singing and watching at these strange people shouted, jumped and run. It was entertainment and I have heard testimony of people who were convicted and saved, drawn by this kind of action.
It seemed to work at the time. Shocked Confused Cool

And I know about the folks on the outside because me and Sonny Turner used to sneak out of church during all that shouting. Embarassed
11/24/17 11:12 am

Post There was a time when... Aaron Scott
...when the joy of the Lord just got folks so happy that they did such things. No, God wasn’t MAKING them do it. Rather, He was just sending a blessing and folks just expressed like they felt to. I would not feel too out of place here...and not at all 30 years ago. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
11/24/17 4:55 pm

Post Re: There was a time when... Cojak
Aaron Scott wrote:
...when the joy of the Lord just got folks so happy that they did such things. No, God wasn’t MAKING them do it. Rather, He was just sending a blessing and folks just expressed like they felt to. I would not feel too out of place here...and not at all 30 years ago.

Smile Thumb Up
11/24/17 8:14 pm

Post Re: There was a time when... Wordthumper
Aaron Scott wrote:
...when the joy of the Lord just got folks so happy that they did such things. No, God wasn’t MAKING them do it. Rather, He was just sending a blessing and folks just expressed like they felt to. I would not feel too out of place here...and not at all 30 years ago.

Would you feel they were out of order if you were attending today based on the teachings of the Apostle Paul to the Corinthian church?
11/26/17 11:56 pm

Post Wordthumper... Aaron Scott
Wordthumper wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

Would you feel they were out of order if you were attending today based on the teachings of the Apostle Paul to the Corinthian church?

No, I would not feel this particular instance was out of order. Remember that some denominations thought (and John MacArthur still thinks) that virtually ANY Pentecostal expression was out of order. Even such a relatively minor thing as speaking in tongues.

I've just been in too many services where people were just overflowing and were unabashed in their worship.

Now, the guy who goes into the baptistry...yeah, that might have been a bit over the top, but I don't feel it was at odds with the rejoicing going on in that clip.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
11/27/17 5:53 am

Post Re: Wordthumper... Cojak
Aaron Scott wrote:
Wordthumper wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

No, I would not feel this particular instance was out of order. Remember that some denominations thought (and John MacArthur still thinks) that virtually ANY Pentecostal expression was out of order. Even such a relatively minor thing as speaking in tongues.

I've just been in too many services where people were just overflowing and were unabashed in their worship.

Now, the guy who goes into the baptistry...yeah, that might have been a bit over the top, but I don't feel it was at odds with the rejoicing going on in that clip.

Some people can smile at a good joke while others roll in the floor laughing. The same with a feeling of 'closeness to God'. Some folk can sit there and just drink it in, tears flowing like rain, others cannot contain themselves and must display their joy by letting go. It happens very seldom now, but this is a different generation in the COG. At one time the members of the COG (and others) were ridiculed by main stream religion, and could express themselves among like minded folk inside a building isolated from that outside world.

I cannot speak to this example on you tube, but if you weren't there in the 30-60 era you cannot understand being considered a cult and demeaned by people on the street. Or kids by their teachers in school. Crying or Very sad
11/27/17 11:40 am

Post Da Sheik
Classic independent baptist service in a southern state. They are typically far more emotional and expressive than the typical Pentecostal church. I will refrain from making any other comments. Acts Enthusiast
11/27/17 12:24 pm

Post diakoneo
This happened at a Church of God we are attending a few weeks ago.

The teacher of the Sunday school class began speaking in tongues and did so for about 60 seconds. No interpretation or opportunity for one was given and then just went on as if nothing happened.

Is that out of order?

Shocked
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
11/27/17 10:15 pm

diakoneo wrote:
The teacher of the Sunday school class began speaking in tongues and did so for about 60 seconds. No interpretation or opportunity for one was given and then just went on as if nothing happened.

Is that out of order?

Yes, it was out of order.
Acts-pert Poster
11/27/17 11:41 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
diakoneo wrote:
Is that out of order?

Shocked

It's more than out of order. It's strictly and explicitly forbidden by Scripture.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/28/17 3:16 am

Dave Dorsey wrote:
diakoneo wrote:
Is that out of order?

Shocked

It's more than out of order. It's strictly and explicitly forbidden by Scripture.

Unless it’s Copeland and Howard-Browne joking in tongues.
Acts-pert Poster
11/28/17 8:03 am

Post Out of order (tongues)? Not necessarily. Aaron Scott
diakoneo wrote:
This happened at a Church of God we are attending a few weeks ago.

Is that out of order?

Shocked

If it was given as a message in tongues, but no one was given a chance to interpret, yeah, that was a misstep.

But sometimes there is simply overflow. Just as if you were teaching, hit a good point, and said, "Hallelujah!"
11/28/17 3:47 pm

Post Something I noticed in the video.... Aaron Scott
I have seen plenty of this sort of Pentecostal services. And everyone who has been in the Church of God for at least 30 years has probably seen something similar.

However, I had not viewed this for, perhaps, years, and simply remembered it when I first clicked on it. But I did notice something that, while I don't necessarily reject it as out of order, does need addressing for maturity's sake....

I noticed that almost before the guy got out the first few words, some of the folks took off. Some people are just fast on the trigger. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but I do feel that we have to not "outrun" the Spirit, so to speak. That is, when He begins flooding in, yes, do your thing. But sometimes we get ahead of Him. I think that at least three or four of those guys did that--they knew it was, perhaps, a song they liked...and they took off virtually immediately.

Of course, old Bro. Shaw at the Florida Campmeeting didn't need a lot of priming to get started with running the aisles and waving his handkerchief. Some folks come so ready to worship and rejoice that it doesn't take hardly anything (or maybe even nothing) to set them off. Of course, some, as in the video, likely overdid it...but I do believe their hearts were in the right place.
11/28/17 3:52 pm

Post Re: Something I noticed in the video.... Dave Dorsey
Aaron Scott wrote:
I noticed that almost before the guy got out the first few words, some of the folks took off. Some people are just fast on the trigger. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but I do feel that we have to not "outrun" the Spirit, so to speak. That is, when He begins flooding in, yes, do your thing. But sometimes we get ahead of Him. I think that at least three or four of those guys did that--they knew it was, perhaps, a song they liked...and they took off virtually immediately.

Doesn't that kind of 100% completely prove that this is a work of their flesh? The fact that they were able to do it before the Spirit came, as you said?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/28/17 4:40 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic