Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

"Christ Follower" ?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post "Christ Follower" ? Da Sheik
In recent years, it has come into fashion to refer to one's self as a "Christ Follower" or "Follower of Christ". Honestly, the verbiage means really little to me. I still call myself a Christian but I've always been a little behind the times.

Yesterday I was listening to one of our Sunday school teachers. She's 80 but has a brilliant mind and very articulate. The Sunday School curriculum used the term "follower of Christ" consistently throughout. I heard her remark that Judas was a "follower of Christ". He followed Jesus for money and for power. He followed him up until he realized Jesus' popularity was waning and that he would not be the treasurer for an earthly king.

Like I said, I don't really take issue with the terminology. But I did think she raised a thought-provoking discussion.
Acts Enthusiast
1/29/18 4:29 pm

Post bradfreeman
We're IN Him.
We're seated WITH Him.

We are led by the Spirit.

FYI: Punctuation goes inside the quotation marks in the US.

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
1/29/18 4:42 pm

Post Re: "Christ Follower" ? Nature Boy Florida
Da Sheik wrote:
In recent years, it has come into fashion to refer to one's self as a "Christ Follower" or "Follower of Christ". Honestly, the verbiage means really little to me. I still call myself a Christian but I've always been a little behind the times.

Yesterday I was listening to one of our Sunday school teachers. She's 80 but has a brilliant mind and very articulate. The Sunday School curriculum used the term "follower of Christ" consistently throughout. I heard her remark that Judas was a "follower of Christ". He followed Jesus for money and for power. He followed him up until he realized Jesus' popularity was waning and that he would not be the treasurer for an earthly king.

Like I said, I don't really take issue with the terminology. But I did think she raised a thought-provoking discussion.

What was ever wrong with Christian - which means "Christ-like"?
I thought the early church was known by their love one toward another?

The idea that someone was a Christian but didn't act like it was foreign to them. Guess Brad wasn't there to straighten them out.
1/29/18 5:05 pm

Post Re: "Christ Follower" ? UncleJD
Nature Boy Florida wrote:

The idea that someone was a Christian but didn't act like it was foreign to them. Guess Brad wasn't there to straighten them out.

Its so 50s man! We just need the words in Red, not any of that other legalistic stuff. Its not a religion its a relationship, squishy, squishy, fluff fluff
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/29/18 5:36 pm

Post Re: "Christ Follower" ? Cojak
Da Sheik wrote:

This does bring up a good point. I had not thought of that, just always thought I was a Christian. I consider myself one. As times goes on, folks must play with terms and terminology. We crave something new, something cool. I have really no problem with the term, just think Christian is more appropriate.

It is nice to hear some logic at times in this world. Smile THANKS for this post! 'tis good! Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/29/18 6:56 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
And they were first called Christians in Antioch.

Good enuff fer the ole timer.
Acts-pert Poster
1/29/18 7:25 pm

Post UncleJD
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:

So old fashioned, get with it man
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/29/18 7:43 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
UncleJD wrote:
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:

So old fashioned, get with it man

Is Acts 2 old fashioned?

John 3:16?
Acts-pert Poster
1/29/18 7:46 pm

Post In the Book of The Acts of the Apostles... Mark Ledbetter
"followers of Christ" were known as:

By those outside the fold

Sect of the Nazarenes, 24:5

Christians, 11:26; 26:28

By those inside the fold

The Way (6xs) 9:2; 19:9, 23; 22:4; 24:14, 22 Paul persecutes The Way and ends up being a part of The Way.

The Church (19x) 5:11; 8:1,3 etc.

Disciple(s) (30x): 6:1, 2, 7; 9:1, 10, 19, 225, 26, et al
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
1/29/18 7:56 pm

Post Re: In the Book of The Acts of the Apostles... bradfreeman
Mark Ledbetter wrote:
"followers of Christ" were known as:

By those outside the fold

Sect of the Nazarenes, 24:5

Christians, 11:26; 26:28

By those inside the fold

The Way (6xs) 9:2; 19:9, 23; 22:4; 24:14, 22 Paul persecutes The Way and ends up being a part of The Way.

The Church (19x) 5:11; 8:1,3 etc.

Disciple(s) (30x): 6:1, 2, 7; 9:1, 10, 19, 225, 26, et al

Mark, do you see any post-cross (new covenant) scripture where we are now following Christ?

One could argue that He follows us:
1 Cor 10:4 and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock which followed them; and the rock was Christ.

Acts-dicted
1/30/18 2:11 pm

Post I'm not Mark, but... bonnie knox
1 Peter 2:20-22 King James Version (KJV)

20 For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.

21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/30/18 2:21 pm

Post Re: I'm not Mark, but... bradfreeman
bonnie knox wrote:
1 Peter 2:20-22 King James Version (KJV)

20 For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.

21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:

Thanks Bonnie, I had found that one. But that verse doesn't seem to be about currently "following" Him as much as it is sharing in His sufferings (the world hated me, it will hate you...persecuted for righteousness sake).

Now the leadership of the Spirit is clear. He leads, guides, teaches from within.

Acts-dicted
1/30/18 2:40 pm

Post Da Sheik
I really hadn’t given it much thought until I heard the Sunday School teacher bring it up. I suppose you can follow someone without being “all in “. I follow sports to some degree but definitely not a fanatic. Acts Enthusiast
1/30/18 4:02 pm

Post Isa 58:12
Christ-Like....what was He like, how did He live? I guess when we answer that we will know what a disiple is 😉
1/30/18 4:07 pm

Post bradfreeman
Isa 58:12 wrote:
Christ-Like....what was He like, how did He live? I guess when we answer that we will know what a disiple is 😉

The beautiful thing about the new covenant is that Christ perfectly fulfilled the law, every shadowy picture in it, every promise and every prophesy. Then He set His righteousness to our account!

Acts-dicted
1/30/18 4:43 pm

bradfreeman wrote:
Isa 58:12 wrote:

The beautiful thing about the new covenant is that Christ perfectly fulfilled the law, every shadowy picture in it, every promise and every prophesy. Then He set His righteousness to our account!

I this is about being "Christ-Like". He kept the Torah/Law...
Disciple means imitator on Greek..... & Well of course brad, Y'shua came, fulfilled certain aspects of Torah, & promises, prophesy.... But all is not fulfilled, please continue ur thought on Matt 5:17 with verses 18-19, they aren't saying what u say it is 😉
1/30/18 4:57 pm

Why does Y'shua & all the apostles keep Torah & Christians Christ-Like, imitators don't have to? 🤔

Either Y'shua was wrong & the apostles, or we have it wrong😐. Because there is no verse in the Bible that says we have to fulfill the Law, for anyone 😶
1/30/18 5:05 pm

And how about this, think about it, us as Christ followers, disciples...if Y'shua kept the Sabbath why not his Christ-Like follower's, us? Would that be wrong? It's in the ten Words/Commandments

Just something to think about, I thought we were supposed to live as He did

Shalom
1/30/18 5:39 pm

Post Brad: Follower Mark Ledbetter
Quote:
a : one in the service of another
b : one that follows the opinions or teachings of another
c : one that imitates another

- Merriam-Webster

A disciple wholeheartedly gives their self to the teacher, entering a relationship of trust that addresses every area of life. The disciple's goal is to imitate the Teacher/Master in knowledge, wisdom and ethical and moral behavior. The Disciple assumes a servant's role and often is found performing specific duties for the Master/Teacher and within the circle of disciples.

Discipleship is "the art of imitation." The disciple did not simply draw from the moral and ethical teachings, the disciple "studied" the way his teacher ate his meals, said his prayers, worshipped, and treated others - and then sought to apply these lessons in their own lives.

I believe it bears noting that disciple(s) was used at least 30 times to designate the individual or body of believers in the Book of Acts.

Post-Resurrection Referencies:

"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations (ethnic groups), Matthew 28:19

"Be imitators of me [Paul], just as I also am of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1

"Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus..." Philippians 2:4 (see vvs. 5-8)

Repeatedly, the Apostle Paul pointed to Jesus Christ as our example to follow-imitate-serve - Romans 15:3-6; Galatians 5:24; Ephesians 4:32-5:1-2f; etc.

There is no reason to "grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ," as Peter suggests (2:3:18) except to walk in His steps and allowing His word and His ways become our words and our ways.

If we are not to be "followers" of Jesus Christ, if we are not to be imitators of Him, then who do we follow; from whom do we find direction.

Paul's thoughts found in his epistles were not innovative but were commentary on the way he sought to imitate Jesus Christ - His ways and His words.

Discipleship, in my opinion, is woefully absent from the Church today. Much of our Christian Education make a great effort to teach about God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and what ever doctrine, but do not truly emphasize relationship.

Then there are churches whose practice is to cram worship and preaching into an hour or more and think that's discipleship. Others play "lip service" to teaching, but, as the example before, through everything into a feel-good, entertaining, self-help, session and call it Church.

But discipleship?

I'm sure you, Brad, will find some dispute with all or some of what I've posted, as will others, so, flay away at my words - won't matter - won't change my position.
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
1/30/18 7:40 pm

Post Re: "Christ Follower" ? Chicago27
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Da Sheik wrote:

Is anybody really “Christ-like?” Maybe that is the issue. What were the Disciples called? Disciples? That’s not bad. But, it really doesn’t matter what we’re called. We are known by the fruit we bear. Let’s do that. At least, attempt it. Smile
Friendly Face
1/31/18 9:00 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic