Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Addicted to getting slain in the Spirit?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post What about preachers who expect you to go down? roughridercog
They will head slap, wobble you until go go off balance, or neck crack you back. They make sure to have catchers at the ready to plant the idea that you WILL go down.

Why do we allow this religious manipulation?

Then when you won't be shoved down or do a mercy drop, you're almost accused of quenching the Spirit.

I'll tell you what, if they have to be slapped, wobbled, neck cracked, or guilt tripped down, that particular spirit needs to be quenched.

There...said it and I'm glad.
11/16/17 3:09 pm

Post FLRon
IF I were to ever pastor again I would absolutely forbid the use of “catchers”. Every person attending would know that if you fall out, it had better be God, cause you’re on your own as you fall.

Something tells me this would put an end to the courtesy falling foolishness.
11/16/17 3:18 pm

Post roughridercog
FLRon wrote:
IF I were to ever pastor again I would absolutely forbid the use of “catchers”. Every person attending would know that if you fall out, it had better be God, cause you’re on your own as you fall.

Something tells me this would put an end to the courtesy falling foolishness.

I agree. At the same time I would not put up with that head slapping business.
11/16/17 3:19 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I know some say they need catchers in order to avoid being sued if someone gets hurt. However, if that’s their worry, why don’t they just have people sit or kneel when they’re being prayed for? Strangely enough, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anybody fall out when hands were laid on them while they were sitting or kneeling. Wonder why that is? [Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/16/17 4:41 pm

Post Re: What about preachers who expect you to go down? Dave Dorsey
roughridercog wrote:

Then when you won't be shoved down or do a mercy drop, you're almost accused of quenching the Spirit.

I'll tell you what, if they have to be slapped, wobbled, neck cracked, or guilt tripped down, that particular spirit needs to be quenched.

Rough, you nailed this about as straight as something can be nailed. We do not practice basic biblical discernment because we have been conditioned to be fearful that we will quench the Holy Spirit or even commit the unpardonable sin if we question these displays of flesh using the light of holy Scripture. And those manipulators know it and prey on it.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/16/17 5:03 pm

Post Re: What about preachers who expect you to go down? roughridercog
Dave Dorsey wrote:
roughridercog wrote:

Rough, you nailed this about as straight as something can be nailed. We do not practice basic biblical discernment because we have been conditioned to be fearful that we will quench the Holy Spirit or even commit the unpardonable sin if we question these displays of flesh using the light of holy Scripture. And those manipulators know it and prey on it.

And they walk away strutting saying, "Good service."

Dare we ask, "What specifically was good about it."

I know this is a tough subject for some and even a time honored sacred cow, but maybe it's time to ask why we continue to allow it.
11/16/17 9:45 pm

Post diakoneo
"Falling out" is something that has somehow been elevated to equal status of speaking in tongues among some circles. That is probably why some do not want to talk about the subject. I mean, we will hardly speak out when someone is out of order when they speak in tongues... Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
11/16/17 10:52 pm

Post Da Sheik
The truth can withstand scrutiny. The Bible encourages believers to exercise discernment and judgment (“try the spirits” ). Acts Enthusiast
11/17/17 12:28 am

Post roughridercog
Da Sheik wrote:
The truth can withstand scrutiny. The Bible encourages believers to exercise discernment and judgment (“try the spirits” ).

It's also important to do something if the truth becomes evident.
11/17/17 9:01 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
My previous post was mere levity. Truth is, I have been one of the most vocal advocates for balance within our faith tradition. We have witnessed excess to the point of absurdity at times, yet hesitant to offer an honest critique and a call for discernment/balance. Why? Lest someone accuse us of speaking against the Spirit. There is a reason, brethren, 1 John 4:1 is inspired. It isn't an option. We have a mandate to use discernment regarding matters of the Spirit. If it is of God, we will not hinder it. If it isn't, we are called to expose it, call it what it is, and seek balance. Many within our tradition have allowed blatant foolishness to be promoted (angel feathers, gold dust, grave sucking, gold fillings, Bentley-esque ignorance, supposed words from God which do not come to pass such as at Lowery's NCCOG funeral, Copeland & Browne joking in tongues, woffie error, etc., ad nauseum), without calling for critique, accountability or balance. Each to his own, however, OTCP must cry for discernment. Acts-pert Poster
11/17/17 9:49 am

Post Cojak
Maybe it is because it has always been a 'wonder' to me at the fixation on 'falling out & slain in the spirit'. I never doubt that God can put someone in another world in the spirit (i.e. Proven scriptural fact:Whether in this world or not I do not know).

I am very touched by the thoughts and inputs here. Thanks RR for starting this. I appreciate all the insights. I am especially enlightened with some of the comments.

I do get a lot of satisfaction in reading inputs that make me think. Acts has been a source of entertainment, fun and honest scriptural education to this neophyte of the Word.

I think logic (as well as the spiritual) does have its place in our religious beliefs.
Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/17/17 10:46 am

Post roughridercog
Cojak wrote:
Maybe it is because it has always been a 'wonder' to me at the fixation on 'falling out & slain in the spirit'. I never doubt that God can put someone in another world in the spirit (i.e. Proven scriptural fact:Whether in this world or not I do not know).

I am very touched by the thoughts and inputs here. Thanks RR for starting this. I appreciate all the insights. I am especially enlightened with some of the comments.

I do get a lot of satisfaction in reading inputs that make me think. Acts has been a source of entertainment, fun and honest scriptural education to this neophyte of the Word.

I think logic (as well as the spiritual) does have its place in our religious beliefs.
Cool

One of the toughest, most painful things a person can do is separating biblical truth from our traditions.
11/17/17 11:00 am

Post Cojak
roughridercog wrote:

One of the toughest, most painful things a person can do is separating biblical truth from our traditions.

And I am not cut out for that, That has got to be one of the toughest parts of being a minister / pastor of the Gospel. Because many times I am sure the individuals are Christian. Embarassed
11/21/17 11:37 am

Post Da Sheik
Separating truth from tradition has been a long journey for me. But it has been extremely liberating. I wish I could have undertaken that journey when I was younger. I have spent way too much time trying to defend positions and practices that have no real biblical basis. Acts Enthusiast
11/21/17 9:31 pm

Post Cojak
Da Sheik wrote:
Separating truth from tradition has been a long journey for me. But it has been extremely liberating. I wish I could have undertaken that journey when I was younger. I have spent way too much time trying to defend positions and practices that have no real biblical basis.

Very well stated. Cool
11/22/17 11:58 am

Post Resident Skeptic
On a similar vein, I've noticed a "habit" in the Pentecostal "parallel universe", AKA Oneness Pentecostalism. There, you seldom see people "falling over" AKA "being slain in the Spirit". Rather, those being prayed for shout and dance.
11/25/17 10:18 am

Post roughridercog
Resident Skeptic wrote:
On a similar vein, I've noticed a "habit" in the Pentecostal "parallel universe", AKA Oneness Pentecostalism. There, you seldom see people "falling over" AKA "being slain in the Spirit". Rather, those being prayed for shout and dance.

Dancing before the Lord has a biblical basis. The term "dancing in the Spirir" never occurs in Scripture. Praising God in a loud voice does also.
11/25/17 10:57 am

Post FLRon
Da Sheik wrote:
Separating truth from tradition has been a long journey for me. But it has been extremely liberating. I wish I could have undertaken that journey when I was younger. I have spent way too much time trying to defend positions and practices that have no real biblical basis.

Speaking as one who did not come to the Lord until the age of 22, and who had no religious training of any kind until then, I have always counted myself as blessed/fortunate in that I was not “indoctrinated” in many of the traditions of the church that many claim as gospel truth.

While I have had to defend myself countless times as to why I questioned certain things, being slain in the Spirit one of them, I still believe it is necessary to measure what we believe, do, and say against the word of God.

It is indeed liberating not to have my mind clouded with beliefs and practices that cannot be defended by scripture. Of course, even after 40 years I am still learning and searching for truth in the scriptures, as I certainly know I have not yet “arrived”.
11/25/17 1:24 pm

Post Link
If you replaced catchers with a bed of nails, that may deal with the attention-seekers.
12/4/17 12:02 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Link wrote:
If you replaced catchers with a bed of nails, that may deal with the attention-seekers.

Laughing Laughing
Acts-pert Poster
12/4/17 2:16 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic